Author Topic: Lehigh  (Read 18044 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Lehigh
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Thanks.  I have seen several Berks county guns, which definitely have "thick" fore ends (with a very full, round shape), and wondered if Lehigh fore ends should be similarly thick.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 07:12:21 PM »

In this last picture, we have a plain Kuntz rifle with a gorgeous patch box, and an open ended nose piece.  I suspect that the rim fire cartridge case is a later addition.
Regarding the Bonewitz rifle, and these Lehigh guns too, I believe the finish is original, but the owners over the years have applied waxes to preserve them.  Kuntz rifles and pistols have a glossy varnish/violin finish, and a definite red hue.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 06:52:44 PM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »
I think my brain is on overload! This is great stuff, thanks again Taylor!
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
The rifle ID'ed as made by Bonawitz looks more like the work of his apprentice, Andrew Fichthorn rather than the former. The carving is closer in execution and style to Fichthorn than to that of Johannes. Does it have the intaglio rampant lion mark at the left side barrel flat near the breech?
Absence of that does not mean that it wasn't made by him, (my Bonawitz doesn't have it), but the ornamentation needs to fit the Bonawitz template, (mine does). This one does not seem to. Fichthorn often used an AF mark with other elements stamped on the breech flat.
Refer to the KRA compilation of Selected Articles from the KRA Bulletin (Volume 1-30); pages 293-299 for Fichthorn and pages 243-245 for Bonawitz, written by Henry Bishop.
These are really beautiful rifles and the owner has fine taste. He knows what he is looking for. Thank you for showing them around and to echo earlier sentiments, it would be nice it they could be placed in the ALR Museum, where they would make a grand addtion.
Dick

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 07:57:18 PM »
That sight is cool.  It has an insert set into the vertical part - Kuntz was pretty handy with saw and file.  It is either an adjustable insert, or a replacement for an unsuccessful notch.  There is nothing on the back side of the rear sight to lock it after adjustment, though.  And it sits flush with the top, suggesting to me that it is a masterful and tedious repair.

I suppose it is possible it is a repair, but wouldn't it have been a whole lot easier just to make a new sight? And if you were going to repair it, wouldn't you just file out a rectangular recess and solder it in? It really looks like it was intended to be adjustable to me.

Dale H

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »
Great pictures by a gun builder for gun builders. It doesn't get any better than this other than handling the real thing. Thanks again. I'm inspired to start another one.

• Member 3
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 09:28:24 PM »
Exellent.  That's the idea.  And a lot of the mystique is in the end just mechanics and geometry.
Dale, I concur with you.  Kuntz made some very fancy adjustable sights.  I replicated a folding leaf sight for my own Kuntz rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline nord

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
Dale -

Would you consider the gun for exhibit in the library? I may be reached at <nordata@earthlink.net> if you're so inclined, or if you need help.

B.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:29 AM »
I cant thank you enough for posting these! Ive seen some of them before I think but I do not have good pictures!

Thanks again!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 04:27:01 AM »
Taylor....the photography on these guns is just spectacular.   Can you imagine the sales you might generate if this type
of thing was done with all of the guns shown in both volumes of RCA, and it was available on a CD.  It would be a very
time consuming endeavor.....just dreaming..........Don

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
to preface, i have very little experience with examining period firearms, certainly not enough to even be able to tell with any sort of accuracy what county they were made in let alone by which maker, the most guns i have looked at either in books or in person have been Continental guns, that being said, these guns are very striking, but one thing that really jumped out at me was the basket weave checkering, i just seemed to really fit the gun, i guess its kind of  a weird thing to pop out at you on such beautiful guns, but i dont recall ever seeing that on a muzzleloader before. thank you for the pictures im sure i will be back again to look some more
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »
Taylor, I have been into this thread for the last day and a half studying all of the fine details that I have never seen  before! A kid in a candy store :D. There has been no time to read anything else, but that's quite OK with me. You sir have made my month!! Thanks a million........Joel
Joel Hall

projeeper

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 03:28:45 AM »
is there a small notch on that rear sight?if so one could insert a knife tip pop it up and insert a different piece 50yds/100yds /150yds ?

Offline VP

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 05:18:45 AM »
Taylor,

As another one that likes the Lehigh, thanks. The detail of your photos makes me want to keep going back to them for review. I am sure they will be a Forum favorite.  I hope to use them for a personal build one day. It would be great to have some measurements to go along with it. Has the rifle been documented in any reference that would have the information? Thanks again.

• Member 3
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 06:06:18 AM »
There are at least four - more than likely five, rifles in that thread.  The first was a John Rupp, and then three different Kuntz rifles.  I took all those pictures and as many again in a couple of hours one morning in July '07.  Toward the end of the session, Cody, Brian and I agreed that measurements would be useful, so I'll post some pictures of a rifle with a tape measure close by so that proportions, if not measurements can be better understood.  I will likely not get to that until Saturday...so stand by, please.

D. Taylor Sapergia

J.D.

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »
Exellent.  That's the idea.  And a lot of the mystique is in the end just mechanics and geometry.
Dale, I concur with you.  Kuntz made some very fancy adjustable sights.  I replicated a folding leaf sight for my own Kuntz rifle.

Wow, What a great series of photos. Thanks for sharing.

Would it be possible to post a photo of that adjustable sight? Never seen a fancy adjustable sight on a longrifle.
Thanks,
J.D.

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
That is the only image of that sight that I took.  If you were to replicate it,  I think it's construction would become obvious.
D. Taylor Sapergia

J.D.

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »
That is the only image of that sight that I took.  If you were to replicate it,  I think it's construction would become obvious.

Thanks Taylor, but that isn't what I meant. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

Is it possible to get a photo of the fancy folding sight that you replicated for one of your rifles?

Thanks,
J.D.

• Member 3
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 01:32:45 AM »
Absolutely...I'll post it under Gunbuilding with a new thread.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 02:04:39 AM »
Been out of Internet range for a few days. Taylor, thanks for all the great pics. Personally, I love the engraving details.

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2023, 05:55:03 PM »
Any chance of getting the photos on this thread recovered?   Thanks!!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2023, 06:53:39 PM »
Any chance of getting the photos on this thread recovered?   Thanks!!

I attempted but it looks like the images are in a defunct photo bucket account.
Andover, Vermont

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2023, 08:55:25 PM »
Thanks for trying Rich.

Offline dweber49

• Starting Member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2023, 06:34:48 AM »
PhotoBucket is kaput.