General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Most Popular Target Sights and Hold

(1/3) > >>

Muleskinner:
Just curious what type of open sights are popular for offhand shooting,bead or blade?, on the bullseye targets and what hold seems to be the most used....6 o'clock or center hold

chapmans:
Muleskinner,
  I shoot a lot of compitition localy and at Friendship and most of the top shooters use a wide square blade front sight and matching rear sight, called a partridge style I think. I personally use a center hold but some use a six o clock hold, I talked to Harry Marsh one day and and he uses a modified 6 o clock hold, he holds at 6 o clock on the 10 ring.  They also use a blade that is the same width as the target they are shooting so they line up the black with the width of the sight then bring it down to 6 o clock. Hope this helps.
   Regards Steve C.

Daryl:
Sizing the front blade to the targets makes sense, Steve.

My best offhand shooting has been done with the 9 1/2 pound .69 with it's express sights with a centre hold.  That might be soley attributed to the weight and handling of that rifle and not the sights.  On the other hand, on trail walks, using the same style sights, I do credible offhand shooting with them as well - better, I think than when using tight V with a blade front.

northmn:
The true six oclock hold is only good for one target size.  I beat a pistol shooter that normally could easily beat me.  He liked the bottom of the bull hold and on that day they had a novelty buffalo silhouette target.  He shot the prettiest group you every saw in the 7 ring with 2 no scores.  I kept mine in the usual pattern but within the scoring rings (pistols are really not my thing).  I was a gracious winner and tried not to make him feel too bad that he was beat, using his cutom made pistol, by a replica Colt army revolver.  My point is that for general target use a 6 O'clock is not the best.  Don Davis used to use the front sight inserts that outlined the bull in his modern peep sights.  I used to use a bead as I could not see the Partridge sights that well. Some could and did very well with them.

DP   

Roger Fisher:
Square notch and square post for me and center hold since I'm square!! :D  That frt post can be narrow if your eyes are young since mine are not the post is getting wider and the notch also so I can see light both sides of said notch,. !
All the weird/weirder/weirdest targets we shoot around here from a white headed rat to Osama's old lady (with a wart on her nose) demands said center hold..

We fairly seldom shoot (at) round bull targets!!!! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version