Author Topic: Joseph Hayden Ohio Rifle  (Read 5342 times)

Offline JIM FRANCIS

Joseph Hayden Ohio Rifle
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
Joseph Hayden, Oxford, Ohio, silver mounted 1/2 stock rifle. 36 1/4 barrel, app. 36 cal, 3/4 across the flats, double keyed. The rifle is signed "73 Hayden" in script on top flat. This raises a question. Was this his 73rd rifle? I don't think it means 1873 as this gun is inscribed "DGH'' on the cheek plate for Daniel Gideon Howell and he died in 1868. This rifle was Passed down thru the Howell family and I got it from the last Howell's widow. I have some history on DGH and will be happy to pass it on. If anyone has a Hayden rifle, I would like to know how it's signed. Rifle is in very good condition. It has had a coat of varnish applied sometime in it's life and has an old repair to the wood between the lock and right rear tang. Very light weight. 

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:13:13 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Joseph Hayden Ohio Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:20:04 PM »
I've had a couple of Hayden rifles, both full stocks. Both of mine had the name stamped with Oxford Ohio after it. This one definitely had to be a custom ordered rifle. Beautiful rifle but certainly not an example of a typical Hayden.
Mark
Mark

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:53:31 AM »
Mark,          Thanks for the info on your Hayden rifles. I have read about rifles being marked like yours as well as being signed in script. I attributed this rifle to Joseph as he was known for making silver mounted, small cal., 1/2 stocks. That being said, there is a possibility that this is a Blemus Hayden rifle. Blemus was active during the same period and lived in the area[ Cleaves] that became a Howell family first name thru at least 3 generations. I welcome any other view points on this rifle. Here is a photo of the wrist showing 16 silver nails and the repair I mentioned in the original post

draton2681

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »
Before reading the last post I observed the 73 in the photo closely and was convinced it was actually a B with the same script as the H. You can see a faint trail leading back to the top of the "3". Look at it again and I think you'll see a distinct B. Then I saw the post on Blemus Hayden convincing me even more that it's a B. I'm not a collector or Historian of any sort, Just a different set of eyes looking at it.

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »
I just don't see a " B" but I'm getting old. draton, I appreciate your thoughts. here is another view. Also putting the other one for comparison. 

best image hosting

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »
I thought the "73" was a script "B" also the first time I saw it.  Even has a period after it as though it is a first initial.
Jerry

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
Jim,
I have to lean towards a "B" also.
Mark
Mark

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »
Jim,
Blemus Hayden;Born 1802 in Pennsylvania, wife Maria born in New York 1808, 6 children all born in Ohio including Blemus Jr. Census reports in 1850, 1859, 1860 and 1870 show him in Miami Township, Cleves post office. This area appears to be part of northern Cinncinnatti. Joseph Hayden was located in Oxford, Ohio, Butler County. Hope this helps you a little more.
Mark
Mark

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »
After doing a little more digging, I am believing this is probably a "Blemus" rifle. According to a family letter, Daniel G Howell is buried in Cleves which is where Blemus is from. However, Oxford is only about 35 miles from Cleves. Were Blemus and Joseph related? That's a question for another day.
        I based my initial ID on the fact that Joseph was known for building this style of rifle. I haven't found anything much on the type of rifles Bemus built. If anyone has a Bemus rifle, would love to see a photo of it and particularly a photo of his signature.
                 Again, many thanks for the comments. This is how we learn.   Only thing that bothers me, if the "3" is a "B" what is the "7"?
                                                      Regards to all, Jim   

Offline Longknife

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 03:09:08 AM »
Jim, look at the "H" in Hayden, the first "leg" resembles a 7 too, so the 7 is the back of the B  ?
Ed Hamberg

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 03:25:12 AM »
Ed, I kind of thought that too. It just seemed that there was just a lot of space between them.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
I tend to believe the "73" is actually a "B", also. I have owned a J. Hayden, Oxford, Ohio rifle. The name on mine was stamped. The rifle was a very pronounced tiger striped maple (real, not artificially striped) halfstock, with a back-action lock. Believe it or not, one of the finest Ohio rifles I have ever seen was a cased target rifle by J. Hayden, Oxford, Ohio. It was pretty well covered with silver. I would be surprised if Blemus and Joseph were not related. I also have a prominent gunsmith in Monmouth, Illinois, named David S. Hayden, who came from Ohio in March of 1858. He was the younger brother of Joseph, and learned the trade from him. There are also at least two rifles known, stamped "J. Hayden, Galesburg, Ill." One of them came from the estate of D. S. Hayden, the gunsmith in Monmouth.  The "J. Hayden, Galesburg, Ill." stamp was also found among David S. Hayden's tools. I am not sure who this "J. Hayden" was, but he was listed as a gunsmith in Illinois State Gazetteers 1884 -1888. D. S. Hayden did not have any sons with the initial "J".

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 09:19:33 AM »
The "73" vs. "B" question I think can be answered by a closer look at the letter in the second photograph. In that photograph, the entire first figure is connected with a light line, making it all one continuous figure, i.e. a "B." There were also several Hayden gunsmiths who worked in Kentucky...and one was named Beniah Hayden. I have never seen a rifle by any of the Kentucky Hayden gunsmiths. Shelby Gallien