Author Topic: A Lock from a British Shotgun  (Read 10753 times)

ddoyle

Re: A Lock from a British Shotgun
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 08:02:41 PM »
Having a slinky like, long, neck and a sensitive inner ear the architecture makes complete and absolute sense to me.  That gun fit someone who knew what was best for them and worst for the birds.

Is that method of creating the bolster flat a common method i.e removing material from around the barrel to raise the flat as opposed to simply creating a flat by flling it into the round? ( I am assuming the bolster flat is solid and not brazed on?)

Thanks for sharing, sure is a treat.

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »
I believe the right hand flat and the Nock's form on top were created when the barrel was forged; they are proud of the barrel, the barrel wasn't reduced to form them.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
That barrel shape is pretty common for that particular time period. Part of the charm of this particular era.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

ddoyle

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:35 AM »
I sure like the way the flats are slightly undercut to make sure water travels along them away from the pan/vent and not over.

Were bolster flats on a round barrel ever soldered on and dressed down? or is it just to dangerous to trust it wont become a projectile or a fouling trap? 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 02:03:16 AM »
I sure like the way the flats are slightly undercut to make sure water travels along them away from the pan/vent and not over.

Were bolster flats on a round barrel ever soldered on and dressed down? or is it just to dangerous to trust it wont become a projectile or a fouling trap?
I believe they are just filed in.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:18 AM »
Ah...the art of the lock filer!!!  Wonderful lock.

Elegant,simple,rigid assembly. Many years ago,Lynton McKenzie told me of seeing very fine
wooden masters that were made to produce fine sand castings for the externals on the fine
locks and the  filing was done on the mechanism.There used to be a man in Northern Ohio
that did nice cast iron hammers and frizzens and I recall using them.I think his name was
Ken Roethlesberger.

Bob Roller

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 03:36:54 AM »
Bob Roller you have educated me. I thought such locks were all filed from wrought iron forgings.

The one and only ductile ferrous metal that could be sand cast at that time was malleable iron. Steel was not yet being cast. I'd not thought that malleable would tolerate the pounding taken by the cock. Appears I was wrong.

Dixie used to supply a number of parts in malleable iron, lock parts and set triggers.

The line on the frizzen would be where the steel face was brazed onto the malleable iron frizzen.

ddoyle

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »

Does the cock rest against the pan or does it come to rest on a stop on the bridle?

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
The lower jaw of the cock has a "chin" that stops against the fence.  There is no shoulder on the inside of the cock that contacts the lockplate.  I would have to remove the lock to check the tumbler/bridle relationship, although I would think that the tumbler impacting the bridle would not be a good thing. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
Yes, as Hudnut says, the throat of the cock should fall on the fence.   

Beautiful gun.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 01:06:10 AM »

Beautiful gun.

Enclosed are a standard pair of English  flint locks with rain proof pans  and showing the shoulder  stop which connects on the top of the lock plate.
Feltwad

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 01:15:22 AM »
English Flint Locks

Feltwad
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:23:05 AM by Feltwad »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 01:36:09 AM »
Bob Roller you have educated me. I thought such locks were all filed from wrought iron forgings.

The one and only ductile ferrous metal that could be sand cast at that time was malleable iron. Steel was not yet being cast. I'd not thought that malleable would tolerate the pounding taken by the cock. Appears I was wrong.

Dixie used to supply a number of parts in malleable iron, lock parts and set triggers.

The line on the frizzen would be where the steel face was brazed onto the malleable iron frizzen.

Jim,
The castings that Roethlesberger furnished were all malleable iron.I would like to know where
his moulds went.
The number of fine English locks that survive are proof that there was a better way than hammering
and filing.

Bob Roller

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 05:56:31 AM »

Beautiful gun.

Enclosed are a standard pair of English  flint locks with rain proof pans  and showing the shoulder  stop which connects on the top of the lock plate.
Feltwad

Feltwad,

We were talking about this variation of the  French cock on the lock in question, and in this type the cock  falls on the fence.  See page 1 .

All the best,
Richard.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:58:30 AM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 06:15:55 AM »
In these photos, it can be seen that the chin on the cock's lower jaw contacts the fence, and that there is no stop shoulder on the inside of the cock to contact the top of the plate.

tricorn hat

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
My old friend had a phrase for work like that. " Made by Rolls-Royce, finished by Birks !"

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
Another type of French cock that rests on the pan fence on a sxs 10 bore flint lock with rain proof pans that was  favoured by the London Gun makers
Feltwad

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:44:44 PM by Feltwad »

Offline vanu

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:38 AM »
How does one get in touch with the fellow that owns the Wilkinson books? I have a cased pair of Wilkinson & Son flintlock dueling pistols (#3061) that were converted to percussion and secondarily marked REVOL N. ORLEANS. on the hooked breech; it would be very interesting to find out not only date of manufacture, but if they were shipped directly to New Orleans.

how to upload pictures online

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
Go to www.armsresearch.co.uk.  If available, Mr. Milner will supply a photocopy of the page where your set was entered into inventory.  There is a possibility that the original purchaser of your pistol will be identified.  It would be exciting if the pistols could be traced.  They were expensive guns when made.

Offline vanu

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2018, 03:41:52 PM »
Thank you very much! It will be fascinating to see what the records show.

Bruce

Offline vanu

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »

Update...

Mr. Milner provided the page listing my cased pistols. Based on the leger, they were finished (browned)/delivered 19 June 1824, and are noted as "Best Pistols" which were ordered by an individual named Hartley. Also noted are the various artisans who worked on the set.

Very interesting information, many thanks for the recommendation to contact Milner...

Now I just have to figure out how these fine pistols made to New Orleans and when Jean Baptiste Revol converted them to percussion!

oakridge

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 05:42:59 AM »

Update...

Mr. Milner provided the page listing my cased pistols. Based on the leger, they were finished (browned)/delivered 19 June 1824, and are noted as "Best Pistols" which were ordered by an individual named Hartley. Also noted are the various artisans who worked on the set.

Very interesting information, many thanks for the recommendation to contact Milner...

Now I just have to figure out how these fine pistols made to New Orleans and when Jean Baptiste Revol converted them to percussion!

Revol is thought to have come to New Orleans about 1838. He first appears in city directories in 1842, so the conversion could have been done around this time at the earliest. Good luck on your quest for information.

Offline vanu

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 06:06:17 AM »
Many hanks oakridge!  Stay tuned!!

Bruce