Author Topic: Gun fixture and photo test  (Read 3181 times)

Offline far55

Gun fixture and photo test
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:18:24 AM »

I remembered seeing a similar fixture posted here some time ago, but don't remember the original poster.  This is my version and it worked quite well for me and only took me about 15 minutes to assemble.  The cone for the muzzle end is real high tech - it is the top of an iced tea bottle.  The butt end is an old, broken pipe clamp with the screw end ground to a point, mounted on some 1/8 inch aluminum, which allows some flex and puts enough tension on the stock to hold it wherever I rotate it.  I also wanted to make a test posting of photos.  When I get this rifle completed, I will post pictures for comments.  Thanks.  Roland

Black Hand

Re: Gun fixture and photo test
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 03:56:36 AM »
Does this fixture have a particular purpose?

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:22:40 AM »
As a Southerner, I find your thread offensive. NOTHING that is mass produced and sold in a plastic bottle can be called “tea”!

Just kidding...nice contraption! Will

I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:42 AM »
I gather that it is for staining/finishing right? 
Looks like it is perfect for it, well done.
I have been thinking to do something similar.

Cheers,
Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 05:42:59 AM »
Seems like it could be worth throwing together. I've tried various methods to finish stocks and none have worked perfectly.

Actually haven't finished a longrifles yet and been thinking about how I will do it when I get there...

Offline far55

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:22:19 AM »
I did not want to hang the stock vertically for staining and finishing, and I sat it on top of my vise and muzzle rest on my bench, which put it at a good height for me to see any runs or skips.  Roland

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »
I have something similar, I copied Rick Averill's checkering cradle.  With a little modification it works as a gunstock finish stand.  Instead of the "tea cup" front holder, I have a 2" PVC cap, that is stuffed with foam and a leather disk.  I attach a wood dowel as a temporary barrel so I can get to all parts except the inside of the barrel groove.   

Dave Patterson

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 09:38:22 AM »
Man, I'm gonna have to cobble-up one of those for finishing:  best solution I'd come up with for my surroundings has been hanging them from the garage ceiling by a thin wire attached to a screw in the buttplate screw hole.  Not very satisfactory, as can be imagined.

It's also nice to see that I'm not the only one around here, building rifles inside the house. 

PS:  Thanks for the heads-up, Norm!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
I put stain and finish on the hard way, resting the stock across my lap. Many of the guns I have built would probably have the upper forestock snap in your fixture.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
Very creative and I can see it having a purpose - nice job ;). For me the fixture would take up a lot of my "EXTRA" room ;D and for that reason I would not use it. After I stain I hang my stocks vertically from one of the rafters in my garage to dry then I apply the finish and rehang it to dry. 
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Dave Patterson

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 10:25:43 PM »
... Many of the guns I have built would probably have the upper forestock snap in your fixture.

I'm glad you raised that point before I got around to breaking something yet again:  I too do tend to make my forestocks pretty slender.