Author Topic: New kit!  (Read 14820 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
New kit!
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:42:18 PM »
We're proud to announce that we've completed development of our new kit.  Personally I can't be more pleased how it has turned out.  This kit is of course an earlier design compared to our Mountain Rifle.  We call our new design the Colonial Rifle.  As the name implies, it's representative of what might have been produced in this country during the 1760's or 1770's.

It's brass mounted, available in .45, .50 and .54 calibers; smooth bored or rifled.  The barrel has a very nice profile, based on an existing rifle believed to have been made in the valley of Virginia. 

The lock is Jim Chambes Colonial Virginia.  It's a large lock reperesentative of English exports during this time period.  It's size and design makes for a very dependable ignition source. 

All the same features standard on our Mountain Rifle Kits are present on this as well.  We've taken great pains to make a very precise product with top notch design and styling.  Here's a few pictures.  Any questions, just ask!  If interested see listing in For Sale section.

Thanks!
Jim and Katherine

n stephenson

Re: New kit!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
Jim, I`ll be the first one start this dance! I`m so tired of using the word WOW! to describe stuff , I wish I knew the Klingon word for wow , but I don`t , so , I guess it will be WOW!!  You have really done well on this one. I can`t wait to see how people are going to do these up , SUCH! a beautiful canvas to start with!                 NICE JOB!!  Nate
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:30:32 AM by n stephenson »

Offline Justin

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:50:30 PM »
maw' tok - Klingon expression of surprise. (Reference: The Chase)
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/Hol/mix/curses.html (proof that I didn't know this already ;D)

Very nice. Maybe this will be my project for next winter!

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:00:27 AM »
Very nice Jim, I ordered one yesterday. Now quit @$#%&*@ around and get started on a Lehigh Rifle kit. ;D

Hemo

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 01:25:30 AM »
Looks beautiful, Jim, as expected!
I'm seeing four barrel lugs. Is the barrel cut and dovetailed for these? Is the stock drilled for pins?
I'm also seeing only one lock bolt--I'm assuming the other one rolled away somewhere ;).
I see both the stock and buttplate are cut for a wood patchbox. If one wanted to use a brass patchbox, is the buttplate available without the dovetailed cutout?
If $300 deposit is paid now, any idea on delivery time?

Looking forward to this!

Gregg

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:29:19 AM »
Jim, I`ll be the first one start this dance! I`m so tired of using the word WOW! to describe stuff , I wish I knew the Clingon word for wow , but I don`t , so , I guess it will be WOW!!  You have really done well on this one. I can`t wait to see how people are going to do these up , SUCH! a beautiful canvas to start with!                 NICE JOB!!  Nate

Klingon Language as per their site: Well Done - MajQa'     nothing listed for WOW!!
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:21 AM »
Looks beautiful, Jim, as expected!
I'm seeing four barrel lugs. Is the barrel cut and dovetailed for these? Is the stock drilled for pins?
I'm also seeing only one lock bolt--I'm assuming the other one rolled away somewhere ;).
I see both the stock and buttplate are cut for a wood patchbox. If one wanted to use a brass patchbox, is the buttplate available without the dovetailed cutout?
If $300 deposit is paid now, any idea on delivery time?

Looking forward to this!

Gregg

Gregg,

Thanks!  Yes, barrels will have all dovetails cut standard.  Stocks will be drilled for all pin and screw holes.  Two lock bolts will be provided.  We offer the kit without a wood box as well. 

An intereasting aside concerning the wood box is the stock shaping.  The stock has been shaped with the wood patchbox in mind.  The standard stock shape isn't simply flattened for a box.  A step up...

The stock without a wood box will be rounded and ready for a sheet metal box or for use as is.

As to delivery time.  From right now I would expect about 12 weeks.

Thanks!
Jim

Offline Frank

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 02:38:04 AM »
I ordered one in 54 caliber yesterday. Did not see any listing for a 45 caliber or smoothbores on the website. I may have to get another one in 45 caliber later next year. Have a SMR in 40 caliber. Excellent rifle. Looking forward to putting together this Colonial Rifle.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:43:36 AM »
Jim,

Nice rifle, but a suggestion.  It would be nice if you offered it with or without the dovetail cut for the rear sight.  On the SMR I built for someone the rear sight dove tail, though not cut closer to the breech than normal, placed the rear sight a little closer to the breech than old eyes like it.  It sometimes makes for a pretty fuzzy sight picture.  To many shooters it would be preferable to be able to cut the dove tail and position the rear sight at a distance that gives a clearer sight picture for them.   Just something to think about.

Mole Eyes
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:45:52 AM by moleeyes36 »
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 05:07:48 AM »
I took the leap and pre-ordered one today. This will be my second rifle. My first is still a work in progress.
David Shotwell

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »
I'd also suggest leaving the rear dovetail unfinished (or possibly allowing it to be unfinished as an option). 

Curious about the weight of the finished rifle in each of the 3 calibers.  I'll definitely be getting one when the checkbook allows it and I may end up getting one for each of my sons.  Quite impressive.....I'd also love to see a photo of a finished rifle, just because....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:01:48 PM by GANGGREEN »

Turtle

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »
 I asked about a rear sight further foreword on the southern rifle I ordered from Jim. He said it wasn't possible as they are already cut , but he will cut one further foreword and fill the existing one for free! I have done this on several rifles for friends with old eyes, but feel more comfortable with him doing it on such a thin barrel.  Great and friendly service. He is waiting for .45 barrels for mine---hope they come soon!

JNG3

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
What is the rifling twist in the 50 and 54? Also are these barrels regular or round bottom rifling?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)... Looks GREAT ... !!! ... almost makes me wish I didn't like iron TENNESSEE rifles so much ............  Well Done, Jim..... Regards,.... C C Fiddler ........

Offline Bart

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:19:33 PM »
Hi Jim,

The new kit offering looks awesome!! Where can we see a picture of the original gun?

Thanks

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
Thanks guys! 

About the rear sights...  We're going to try to stock some barrels with the dovetail left off.  We need to have the dovetail standard as it's a difficult task for many beginners.  In running a business like this we have to be very careful about maintaining as many standard products as possible.  Too many variations cause a great deal of difficulty and in the end make us less likely to be able to sell a product for the price we currently do.

I've yet to finish a rifle, but I know everything works as a unit very well.  In the upcoming weeks, I'll put one together with some simple carving to show what the finished product mignt look like.  I didn't base this rifle on any existing original gun, but rather details from many guns of this period. 

These barrels are available in round bottom rifling for a slight additional cost.  Standard twist is 1 in 66 inches.

Thanks!
Jim

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
Looks like the makings of a mighty fine rifle you have there, Jim.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 08:40:38 PM »

Gregg,

Thanks!  Yes, barrels will have all dovetails cut standard.  Stocks will be drilled for all pin and screw holes.  Two lock bolts will be provided.  We offer the kit without a wood box as well. 

An intereasting aside concerning the wood box is the stock shaping.  The stock has been shaped with the wood patchbox in mind.  The standard stock shape isn't simply flattened for a box.  A step up...

The stock without a wood box will be rounded and ready for a sheet metal box or for use as is.

As to delivery time.  From right now I would expect about 12 weeks.

Thanks!
Jim
[/quote]

Jim,

Will the standard kit be supplied as pictured?  That is with the wooden patch box cover, the stock and butplate cut for it? 

Scot

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
Scot,

Yes, the standard kit will be as pictured.  The stock and buttplate will be cut for the box and the lid will be shaped as shown.  The CNC equipment does a fantastic job at this operation.  Everthing should go together very easily.

Jim

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »
A Fantastic looking kit - Thank you for keeping this wonderful line of kits going. That patchbox cover will be a great addition, the shape and style is great!

Looking forward to some great builds,

Cheers,

Jon

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »
Are you leaving on enough extra wood for raised carving in the usual places?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »
Carving won't be a problem.  The only area extra wood is SOMETIMES necessary is behind the cheek.  For many designs no extra is needed.  There is a tiny bit above the side of the buttplate and the wood rises a touch as you head toward the cheekpiece.  This will provide the needed material. 

This should be a great gun to carve and I'm looking forward to finishing out some.  On a custom rifle, it's hard to change designs or techniques up too awful much since there is so much time invested.  These will afford me to experiment more.  Should be fun!

Jim

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 01:57:03 AM »
Just ordered mine in .54 with the sliding wood box.  Looking forward to it Jim!
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline snapper

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 04:40:54 AM »
Chowmi

dang, you ordered one????

I know you got your Christian Springs rifle close to being done.  Why would you want one of these?????

The only reason I ask is I am REALLY having a hard time not ordering one in .54 cal as well.  Been fighting it all week. 

My reasoning is that I have a perfectly great rifle that Mitch built me that does not get out very much, so why would I order one of THESE??

Now you just shot all to heck my reasoning.

Thanks a lot.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

draton2681

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 05:59:18 AM »
Jim, I don't see a latch for the sliding box. Is it included and is it drilled or machined for it as well? Is the trigger pinned in the wood or a plate? The SMR is my only successful built and I learned a lot. The  carving, trigger and patchbox work are a little intimidating to me. My experience with single triggers    ( not a lot because I love set triggers), has been poor because of heavy pull and creep. What should I expect from the kit and how much work is it to get a good trigger pull if possible? Thanks for the great dedication to our sport! 3 SMRs and counting.