Author Topic: Barrel pinning mishap  (Read 6974 times)

Offline RockLock92

Re: Barrel pinning mishap
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I’ll leave it where it is and be a bit more careful with double checking my measurements before I start drilling holes next time... I do feel a bit better knowing there is some varience among originals but I’ll try to stick closer to typical from here on out.. thanks again to everyone who replied.

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 10:09:25 PM »
I'm building  a Kuntz Lehigh, but keyed and estrucheoned rather than pinned.  I  placed my estrucheon plates at the midway point between the front RR pipe, and the nose cap.  Yes, in this one the nose cap is 1 1/2".  If you poke around the Lehigh / Bethlehem school some more, you will find there is great variation within it regarding such things. 

Because you are building a pinned gun, the pin holes aren't really a decorative feature the way plates are.  There are good structural reasons for having it as far forward as you can.  So long as it doesn't interfere with your pipe placement, I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34:27 AM »
Antique Gun Room, Inc.- Antique Longarms- Lehigh county long rifle with rare wood sliding patchbox,lots of pics.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:36:35 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 01:51:11 AM »
 No offence but if that is the only problem you have while building, I will be surprised, I do not see it as a problem, just work around it, it is part of the learning curve. Also, what size pins are you using? The one in the Pic looks large, may just be the Pic.

Tim C.

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 02:12:55 AM »
No offence but if that is the only problem you have while building, I will be surprised, I do not see it as a problem, just work around it, it is part of the learning curve. Also, what size pins are you using? The one in the Pic looks large, may just be the Pic.

Tim C.
None taken. I’ll be a happy camper if this is the only one I make. 5/64 because I thought 1/16 looked a little too small

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 02:21:53 AM »
With a problem of this magnitude I'd go jump off a cliff....oh wait, I'd have been dead 37 years ago...... :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 04:55:07 AM »
I think your ok, only cuz I did the same thing. I think I am at 2.25" however  it still made me pause. What the heck. Its going to be just fine.

Dave Blaisdell