Author Topic: D. Caywood 1982 longrifle  (Read 6482 times)

Offline steg49

D. Caywood 1982 longrifle
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:56:49 PM »
This is my second posting and I'm learning how this works.  This rifle is a D. Caywood 82  (engraved on the top flat), 45 cal. full stock, lock has S972 on the inside, double triggers, brass and silver inlays, carved stock and engraved metal, very nice maple wood. 55" overall, 38" barrel, 13/16" on the flats. I have some info on Caywood as Jim Jaskovial (Pevine) was at the Cal. State shoot and had a look at this gun and helped me with info.  I need help with the value on this piece.  I have also learned how to post pic (who says you can't teach an old rock striker new tricks) http://picasaweb.google.com/steg86/dcaywood82longrifle  I also have pics for the G Ruxton I posted about two week ago http://picasaweb.google.com/steg86/GRuxton  I will be away from the computer for about a week, looking forward to the imput on this one.  thanks  George

lew wetzel

Re: D. Caywood 1982 longrifle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »
heres your images......

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:48:01 AM »
Go to Caywood's website.  Read about him and what he builds.  Then take down his phone number and ask him what his guns are worth.

http://caywoodguns.com/
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:55:30 AM »
Remember that this rifle was made 27 years ago. A nice rifle but not what he's likely capable of today. Caywood does mostly semiproduction guns today and, in my opinion, the best for the money. The styling just stands out. What I'm getting at is that a rifle that fancy today, if you could get one, would likely be worth quite a bit. Then, the work is much more that of an amateur and worth corespondingly less.

LReedynephew

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
 Danny was pretty young in 1982 being around around 27 years old at the time. I don't know if he builds anything other than their production stuff anymore. I spoke with him earlier today on another matter and didn't think to ask him about the value of this gun. It is a nice piece you have there for sure. His home burned in January this year and he lost everything he had as far as personal collection goes. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:18:19 PM by LReedynephew »

Offline halfstock

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »
Your secretsd are safe with me danny  I won't tell em your secrets. not even about your involvment with silver dollar city . LOL LMAO  ;D 8) ;D :D ;)

Offline steg49

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 04:45:55 AM »
Thanks to Shipman and LReedy for your imput, I had the rifle out today and the workmanship is magnificent! precise wire inlay, fine carving, and beautiful engraving.  The highest quality for someone at the young age of 27, I wish I had half that talent at 60, by the way halfstock what were you smoking last night?  Steg49

Offline halfstock

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 12:11:43 AM »
I'm sorry steg but I knew Danny long before he became famous as a gun maker. Sooo what I was smoking may be absolutely irrelavent. Perhaps there are some of us that came along waaaay before you were ever a glint in your old mans eyes.

Offline steg49

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 04:27:07 AM »
Thanks for your response, being so far from the hub of muzzleloading activity and contemporary rifle makes does make me pilgrim at all this stuff.  steg49

Offline steg49

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 03:00:10 AM »
OK I'm ready to sell this rifle but still don't know where to price it.  He get $12,000 for his rifles now, should I start this at  $10,000 OBO? It is one of a kind no other D. Caywood will look like this. What do you think???

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 03:21:04 AM »
I think you'll be lucky to get 1/2 that. It has several strikes against it, it's not Danny's best work, I've seen much better from him, and it has a straight barrel. But, you can ask what ever you please, it's your gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
I haven't seen this gun, only the pictures shown above, but, if you plan to spend $10,000-$12,000, you should really
shop around.   I think Bill Shipman would build one h___ of a gun for that kind of money, or, check with Allen Martin,
Mark Wheland, Jud Brennan.....all are capable of making one far superior to this gun.   Go to the CLA show and see who
the good builders are.   The best way to determine the value of a piece like this would be to offer it to a fine collector of
contemporary guns and see what he would pay for it.  This would kind of put things into perspective...............Don