Author Topic: My take on a stockmaking bench  (Read 3075 times)

Offline 44-henry

My take on a stockmaking bench
« on: December 24, 2017, 03:47:17 AM »
Just finished this in time for the holidays. Mostly made out of 2" pine construction lumber, but turned out pretty heavy even so. I have been wanting something a bit more portable. Still need to put a piece of leather to pad the support, but hopefully I can get a chance to use it over the holidays.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:49:12 AM by 44-henry »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: My take on a stockmaking bench
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:59:06 AM »
Looks good .  Nice looking shop also. I had a big shop like this at my job in Georgia,after I retired boss completely filled it up with plunder. Oh well, it was good . Hope you get to break it in soon. have a goodun, Dave  8) 8)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 05:35:47 AM »
Looking good Alex. I have been planning on something like it but just never seem to get to it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
Looks handy, but I'd be chasing it all over the shop. My building techniques can be a little aggressive at times.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 06:14:11 PM »
Mike beat me to it!  Looks really nice but I think you're going to have to pile a couple of hundred pounds worth of sandbags or some solid block on the base.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
I like the idea and think it certainly looks nice and very well made, that being said. I have a big full size work bench that takes two grown men to move around and it still moves more that I would like.
Psalms 144

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 12:06:17 AM »
I have a heavy traditional bench also, just wanted something portable to move outside when I wanted. Saw something like it at Dixon's this summer. I have a five gallon bucket of lead that I placed on it and that keeps it pretty stable, particuarly if I have my foot on the other side.

ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »

Nice version- The feet being flat is a testament to the quality of work done by who ever poured your shop floor.

Re the 'steady'-ness of these -If the work is directly over the center beam and not overhung these BJH benches hold with a steadiness out of proportion to thier size.  Work held on the edge or overhung on a big heavy bench will have more want to travel then work held in the center of a BJH rig.   

The benfit of these benches is that you get the same foundation width as a normal bench but you put the work in the center of the foundation and not at the edge.