Author Topic: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.  (Read 101055 times)

fullcircle

the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:43:11 AM »
If your new [like Me] introduce yourself before someone gets offended by your anonymity.I'm a 51yr.old truckdriver from WNY. Just getting back into Gunmaking and BP after being away for 20+ yrs.I also make Traditional Archery bows. All told I've made 9 guns and 6 bows. None of the guns are close to the quality that some of you Craftsman build ,but I'll be watching .learning and getting better. Enough said about me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:59:44 PM by fullcircle »

engravertom

Re: the Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:09:19 AM »
OK,

I'm a full time engraver for a well known firearms restoration company. I had some gunsmithing training years ago, bit have focused more on engraving since. Want to eventually build muzzleloaders, esp. European types, as well as some American styles.

I wouldn't mind learning to build traditional bows, either.

I did some forge work when i worked at Old Salem years ago, and would love to get back into that too. I made two stocks in gunsmithing school, one for a Ruger #1, and a mannlicher style for a mark X out of maple, with a cheek piece and some carving. Wanted to make longrifles all the way back then, but never have yet.

need to start, so when the kids are grown, i might be decent at it by then.

Take care,

Tom

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »
From one newbie to another, welcome to the wealth of information, expertise and down to earth fellas you won't find better.  I just keep learning more everyday.  I've only completed one (hawken) and still working on a 40 cal flinter.  Oh, from one in CNY to WNY, howdy do.  
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

northmn

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »
I am not a real newbie to this thread but have built guns and bows.  When you say traditional bows do you mean self bow types or glass?  I have four bows on my wall and a couple or three failures that did not get that far that are all wood.  Two of them are destined for firewood (one has all the cast of a noodle and one if freking) and two are useable.  Been out of BP for about 15 years or so and got burnt out building guns for others as well as bored with the local rondezvous scene where shooting was getting to be an endagered past time.  Now working a 25 and a 58, both hunting guns.

DP

northmn

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
I am not a real newbie to this thread but have built guns and bows.  When you say traditional bows do you mean self bow types or glass?  I have four bows on my wall and a couple or three failures that did not get that far that are all wood.  Two of them are destined for firewood (one has all the cast of a noodle and one thats freking) and two are useable.  Been out of BP for about 15 years or so and got burnt out building guns for others as well as bored with the local rondezvous scene where shooting was getting to be an endagered past time.  Now working a 25 and a 58, both hunting guns.

DP

fullcircle

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I am not a real newbie to this thread but have built guns and bows.  When you say traditional bows do you mean self bow types or glass?  I have four bows on my wall and a couple or three failures that did not get that far that are all wood.  Two of them are destined for firewood (one has all the cast of a noodle and one if freking) and two are useable.  Been out of BP for about 15 years or so and got burnt out building guns for others as well as bored with the local rondezvous scene where shooting was getting to be an endagered past time.  Now working a 25 and a 58, both hunting guns.

DP
I stick to composite type bows at present.I built 3 glass recurves from a blank that i had another bowyer glue up.That's how i got started.I built an all wood laminated longbow and a wood lam. kid's bow.i just glued up my first longbow on my form yesterday.Seems good so far.this will be my first complete build of a glass bow.
 The guns were all 20-25 yrs. ago.I'm confident that the next will be my best.I'm alot more patient now days.old age ,I guess.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »
I have a relearning curve which resulted in one big screwup and a thrown away stock, but it is coming back to quickly.

DP

projeeper

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »
i,ve been bugging folks om this forum for a few mounths now.i,m 53 and have been building modern stocks for a long time i,ve also remodeled quite a few,i,ve done a few hawkins and 1 cva long gun.
 around christmas of this year my daughter ask me to build a gun she could have but to use it until i,m gone.she said she wanted one of the kind you hang above your mantle???? we started looking at pics of rifles when we got to long rifles "one of them" i,d been kicking this idea around for a few years and Pa just started a muzzleloader season in oct. and a few of them p&y bucks that loaf around just out of bow range this really piqued my intrest.
  i bought a kit and they,re not for everybody you better have some stock work abilities. i reserched,asked questions reserched somemore spent way more money on carving tools and chisles books etc
  i started this in jan. took my time when i,d hit a snag i,d bug these guys here and they,re so willing to share their knowlege [ THANK YOU AGIN] now i,m down to trying to find 3 #2 round head 1/4" wood screws not chromed or brass then put it all together.
  remember i,m the newbie that started the fish sideplate controversy boiled his lock in bleach followed Mr Price,s toutorial on sharping chisels and now have red DNA in my stock made 3 patchbox lids before finding out my butplate and spring were too fat.what a learning experince.
  being a foreman in public works city of pgh i get a lot of leeway and am trying to gain acess to the blockhouse in point park to take pics of my rifle there and to the heinz history center french and indian war exhibet to get some pics there also [i got to fire the canon on the lewis and clark boat] and play with BRC #7 prejeep jeep had the mayor with me to pull that one off, kinda like playing with a Dickert orginal and if i can,t do that they,ll be taken on the kitchen table where it was built

Martyman

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
OK, I am a long time lurker on this forum. My first gun was a $700 fince post that i am now taking parts of to build a better gun. After that i put together a Caywood kit Wilson, it turned out pretty good, but their kits are so good even a hack like me could succeed. Then i decided i needed some learn'n so i found a teacher and boy did it make a difference, the next gun was a tennesee that i love shooting. She still had some problems due to me rushing from excitement of finnishing. Now i am building a copy of my favorite Dickert.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »
Martyman, addiction isn't it!   :D
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

longrifle

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
My name is Tom I have been around here several months. I have always had a interest in long rifles this is a great site, I am from Texas.

fullcircle

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Welcome guys[from another Newbie] hopefully we can keep this thread near the top and start contributing also.I have learned alot in a short time here.

Martyman

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »
Gary

I think it really is a Sickness!  ;D
Its bad when you are working on something and you are already planning the next. to make it all worse i have been eyeballing a pistol plan. UGH! It really is fun though, and the history and design of the rifles are great.

Marty

CowboyCS

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »
I suppose it would only be right to at least stick my head up and say hi. I have been lurking around here and the old board for years but never bothered to register until last October. Yes this is my first post. The reason I have never posted before is because although I greatly admire many of the builders on here and most all the work I see on here is outstanding. There really isn't much I could say or add that hasn't already been said.
About me - I am a fulltime muzzleloader builder, I apprenticed under Steve Zihn for two years, then built part time for almost 5 years, until we relocated from Wyoming to Kansas. After the move and I had my New shop built I started building fulltime. I've never posted any of my builds on here, because I don't build the classic American Longrifle, I mostly build Big Bores and Double Rifles following the mid to late 1800's British and German Gunmakers. I do appreciate all the effort and talented people on this site. Thanks for making it a nice place to come and read.

Colin

Only Round

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
 Hi all!  Wow, this board is such a tremendous wealth of information.  If I'm ever stuck on something, it's usually been discussed here before and all I need to do is search the archives.
  I bought my first kit in eighth grade in 1977.  I built 2 more guns before I finished high school, then it was college, life, family, etc.  Now I've jumped back in with both feet and within the last 3 years I've finished 7 more rifles (mostly half stock/plains rifles)-sold most of those and have 4 more projects going now!
  I've done everything so far from blanks so my stock shaping skills are good, but I'm still working on my carving etc and still have yet to get into a full-blown long rifle but I'm making good progress with all the help I get here.

Tizzy

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I suppose it is time for me to come out of the shadows also. First, I would like to say how fortunate I feel to have found a website containing members with such extensive knowledge, that share my new found addiction. As for me, I just completed my first build. While it was meant to be an early Lancaster, it ended up with lines more like a golden age style rifle. I have to say it sure was a learning experience with many mistakes along the way. :) I'm getting ready to start my next build, an Issac Haines style rifle. I'll be sure to utilize this wonderful site along the way. Here's to all the newbees like me, with hats off to the masters.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »
Geez, with all the ALR closet lurkers coming out, welcome one and all.  And, don't necessarily discount your knowledge or experience as most of us have found a tip or two finding more than one way to skin a cat. 
Now the next thing you all have to master is how to put pictures of your items in the next post,  ;D

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 12:31:23 AM »
WOW!  Welcome guys.  It's good to see some many lurkers come out and intrduce themselves.  I sure hope to see everyone posting.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »
Welcome, FullCircle!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. I'm from ENY, up near ALbany.

Been making guns on and off for forty years, and thinking about guns for about fifty three years. I think the Davey Crockett series on TV got me on to these muzzle loader things.

Tom (Acer)

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 02:20:53 AM »
Well, I don't post too much other than to comment how nice someone's work is.  I'm currently on my 4th rifle, I've done 2 from a kit this is my 2nd from a blank.  I like early guns (1760-70's) the best but appreciate the later ones as well.  I also like traditional archery but have never attempted building a bow.  I would like to do a simple self bow one of these days.  This board has a wealth of knowledge and I enjoy reading the posts.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Lon Baugh

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »
I'm impressed by the quality of posts here. Currently buying parts to build an early  Lancaster rifle. Will probably be asking a lot of questions when I start.   LB

tuffy

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
I'm 64 years old and retired military. I built my first rifle from a kit in 1976 and am currently on my second. This time it's a fusil de chasse. Been working on it for some time and it is yet to be half done. Just slow I guess. I enjoy the site and all the help it provides. I do a few horns each year and some bead work. Most of this is done between rounds of golf, which explains my being slow.

George F.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 07:05:40 PM »
I would like to welcome all new members also, my 2 cents is this. If ANY of you guys live with in 500 miles of Allentown, PA. Do yourself and your work a BIG favor and attend  DIXON"S GUNMAKERS FAIR LAST WEEK END IN JULY!!! They have seminars every hour starting on Friday. If your really interested in doing good work you won't be sorry.  I say 500 miles because that's not an unreasonable distance to travel for an event like this. $#*! some travel from the West Coast, and Canada Over there too, so ... Once you go you won't have any trouble to come up with an excuse to go again. Barrel makers, stock suppliers, gun parts, guns finished, guns in the white, stocks with barrels cut with school profiles,powder horns, cow horns, bags, pistol kits, inlays, tomahawks, pipe hawks  more than I care to let my one finger type. It's on a hill, sort of.  Roach coach/lunch wagons are there all weekend. There are campgrounds and accomadations available locally. It's in Kempton, which is off RT 78/22 about 15 miles west of Allentown.There will be much more discussion about this event as that weekend approaches. ..... Geo.

MagKarl

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »
I've been lurking here off and on for a couple of years now but never posted.  The only reason I'm doing it now is to show my appreciation for all of you that take the time to share your work and experience with those of us that want to learn.  The discussions, photos, and tutorials have been an enormous inspiration for me.  I've only built a GPR percussion kit so far, but the next will be from a purchased lock, stock blank, and barrel.  No chance for me to attend any of the big shows back East, but I do intend to join my local WA gunmakers guild and get some local mentoring.

superscifi12

Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 10:06:45 PM »
Hi I guess I'm a real newbie as I have never even shot a ML! I'm 25 and since I moved to Iowa and have wanted to take up deer hunting, I have to use a ML. Nothing against those black plastic guns but I have only picked (and I don't mean bought) one up once and wont do it again. The weekend of the fourth I am planning on going to a shoot about an hour from where I live and hopefully I be able to shot a flintlock.

I have been drooling over the customs on Track of the Wolf and Sitting fox sites but will probably pick up a kit or a production gun.

Mike