Author Topic: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.  (Read 101075 times)

Offline KNeilson

Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2010, 12:41:11 AM »
Gentlemen, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Kerry Neilson, Ive been lurking for several months now reading this amazing resource as I build my first rifle. I, like others here were inspired as a child by Disneys Fess Parker, or James Fenimore Coopers tales of Hawkeye in the Last of the Mohicans. I owned a muzzleloader (Brown Bess) in the 70`s, and now found my interest rekindled by a visit to a local BP shoot. The rifle I`m presently building is a .54 cal Isaac Haines, the components are from Dunlap Woodcrafts. Professionally I am a instructor/welder, privately I view myself as a metalsmith with experience in many disciplines. A lot of them being tested in my latest project. Thanks for your interest and public display of knowledge, I hope to be able to contribute at some point.........  :) Kerry

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:51 AM »
Welcome Kerry,

As a hobbyist who has only beeen at this for about 7 years I can say that this forum and its members are a blessing, a great deal of fun ....and a real source of hope for my belief in mankind.  As I am sure you have seen from your lurking we enjoy great encouragement and instruction from many of the best and most experienced gunbuilders in the world. SHow us your work.  Did you get a precarved stock or a blank from Wayne?
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:35 AM »
Welcome to ALR Kerry. I am sure you will learn a lot from the guys that hangout here. With your background it looks like you will be able to help someone as well. Make yourself at home.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pulaski

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2010, 01:59:28 AM »
Gentlemen ,
Please allow me to introduce myself also . Given name is Steve , friend call me Patch ( got a gift for fixing things ). Son of a US Marine (He has a gift with a rifle ) who was kind enough to pass along every thing a US Marine Cor. Sniper can teach  a son . He could still out shoot me if his eyes were better.
I spend most of my time here as a reader/student . Took up muzzleloading for the challenge of the shot . Lucky enough to have sold about a dozen I've built . Get most of my pleasure from building powder horns (It's my scotch and soda at the end of the day)
Own my own business (surviving the tough times rather well) .
Have the most beautiful wife anybody could ask for and a beautiful 9 year old girl , who was fortunate to get her momma's good looks .
Thanks , Steve

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2010, 02:56:31 AM »
Hi guys, thx for the welcome.  DrTimBoone, I got a precarved stock and component set. Before I made my purchase I wanted to start from square one, but researched enough to realize I dont have the knowledge or skill yet to complete. This project is helping me highlight my weak areas as well as just plain fun...already looking towards #2. FWIW my experience with Dunlap Woodcrafts has been most excellent, much thx to Wayne and Daniel for service and advice...  Kerry

Offline StevenV

« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2010, 07:04:04 AM »
Hello to all and many thanks for an outstanding site to say the least. I have on occasion visited this site over the years. I live in Schuylkill County (eastern Pa). Married 25+ years with 6 of the most priceless gifts one can ever have, 4 boys ,2girls. I have been farming for 25+years (1st generation) and working all but a full time job on the side. I have been involved in flintlocks since 1979. First couple of years just trying to figure out how to shoot them and then started hunting with them. Bought my first production flintlock in mid 1980's (Lyman). Then in early 90's bought my first "hand made" longrifle. I contacted the builder a few years later and he made me what I call to this day My gun. A 50cal. JP Beck that I take hunting and shoot competively with. Still had no interest in making one myself, happy to just shoot and hunt with a flintlock longrifle. A turn of events and by the mid 90's I finally got the itch. This builder offered to me to help build my first gun and the rest is history. He and I are good friends to this day and he regulary critques my work bending over backwards to help. It is because of he that I experience the priceless joy of hunting, shooting competively, and making flintlock longrifles. I have built 7 guns to date for the sheer joy of making a longrifle all from "scratch". The latest a Reading with carving turned out nice. Thanks to all       StevenV

terry S

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2010, 07:07:08 AM »
Greetings my name is Terry, I'm 60 from SE Berks Co. PA. I was a member on the old board several years ago and dropped away for a while.  I only recently found the new board and you can imagine how happy I am. The patients and experience that is offered here is fantastic. Many thanks to everyone who takes the time to help us less experienced builders.

I've been to Dixon's shop & gun shows many times, they'er always very helpfull, the many seminars they offered over the years are always outsatnding, I can't say enough to complement them as well as all of the venders. It's a must do weekend every year.

I hope to post some pictures of a gun I've been working on and would like an opinion on size the placement of the patchbox.

Many thanks to all for a great source of information and expeience.

Thanks again...Terry

Rootsy

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »
Reckon I should formally introduce myself also.  Name is Jamie.  Freshly 36 and call Southern Michigan home.  I am a mechanical design engineer by profession.   I am a small scale produce farmer as a secondary career.  I have been around smokepoles for most of my life, well before I was a teenager.  All caplocks until now.

I am hands on artistic and creative.  Many of my hobbies revolve around that aspect in one way or another.  I enjoy wood working, restoring antique farm machinery, gunsmithing and farming.  I've build a couple of front stuffers from Lyman GPR kits and my latest venture that I'm into my second winter on is a Pecatonica Pre-Rev Kentucky pre-carve that I've more or less made my own.  No distinct style or "school".  A somewhat mish-mosh of componentry. 

I also have a fascination and hunger for knowledge.  I love to learn and I find myself enveloped by history and the study of early American colonization, particulary the 17th and 18th centuries.  Which has led me to my latest venture of my family geneology. 

In my eyes the long rifle is a work of functional art.  What really intriques me is that there were men who created such pieces with primitive tools by sun and candle light. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »
Welcome aboard, you guys. I love to hear about what folks do, and how they got started in muzzleloading.

I have been around the board for six or seven years now. I think of it as home. This forum has grown into a real family for me, with friends and brothers from all over the US (and, ahem,  Canada). I've built guns since I was 16, but once I hit my mid 40's, and my kids were no longer in diapers, I started getting back into this gun building seriously. I love so many things about it. The feel of the wood, the smell of brass on my hands, the carving, the history, and particularly, this great resource of knowledge and support, the ALR.

So when I read of what brings you here, it makes me smile, for you have found a great place to hang your hat. May you enjoy this forum and prosper!

Welcome, Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

TXEBONY

« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
Carl, 32, South Texas.  I consult for an oil major.  I believe one of my flintlocks got me here and very happy it did.  Now I've bitten off more than I can chew with the "for sale" section.  This BP bug is pretty powerful.  I collect all types of firearms and hunt as much as possible.  Hello to all.

octagon

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2010, 04:04:12 AM »
Hi everyone. New here from Pittsburgh,PA. 40 year old male, married with one son and dog. Truck Driver. I am not new to muzzleloaders though and have owned many, all production guns, but I want a custom one bad!! I hoping 2010 is my year :)

Jack

exTNer

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 07:21:38 AM »
Jack, be careful here.  I've only been here about a week, but this place will make you so dizzy you might fall off your wallet and buy something!!  I know I'm itching like a man on a fuzzy tree! ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
One of the reasons I got into building these guns is that I could never afford what I wanted. Living in upstate NY, kentuck rifles were just not to be seen. And believe me, I wanted one of these guns badly. That was back in the late 1960's, having seen Davy Crockett and Dan'l Boone on Disney. When I was six or seven, I'd gone through the Westerns, both TV shows and books, and even had a die die cast revolver cap gun. My neighbor friend was about five years older than me, and he let me shoot some cans in his back yard one day.

So here I am in my mid fifties, still drooling over these guns. I still can't afford to buy what I really want, because the more I learn about these old guns, the bar keeps raising higher. This is not a bad thing. I try to build what I really like, and my skills improve slowly as I go along.

Whether you're a collector or builder, you will find an eye opening world of Kentucky rifles here.

ps. I keep my wallet in my front pocket, so there's no chance of falling off it!

Tom

Dean D.

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2010, 06:25:26 AM »
I've been lurking mostly for about 9 months so I guess it's time I introduced myself.

My name is Dean and I live in Northeast Washington State.  I'm 51 y/o and work in the electric utility industry.  Shooting, reloading and casting were hobbies taught to me by my Father and Uncles as a youngster.  I also enjoy lapidary (cutting gemstones) and silversmithing.

Last March my youngest step-son was given an inexpensive .50 cap lock pistol kit for his birthday.  Helping him with this kit put the bee in my bonnet and I had to break down and buy myself a kit to build also.  I've always wanted a flintlock rifle.   After much self debate and asking questions of friends over on the Cast Boolits website who are into building muzzle loaders,  I ended up ordering a pre-carved kit from TOW.  Along with advice on what to look for in a kit,  those friends advised me to come here and read as much as I could while I waited for the kit to arrive.  I have learned a lot here and continue to do so daily.

Thanks!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
Welcome aboard, Dean! Thanks for the intro. It is always interesting to know what part of the world we all come from, what we do for a living; it adds depth to the little community we have going here.

I am also amazed at how this site grows by word of mouth. When you tell us your friends sent you here, I know it's working, the word is getting out!

Thanks for introducing yourself, and best of luck on your kit.

Tom

dave m.1

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
guess it's my turn to say hello.My name is dave m,i live in SW PA and have been a union ironworker for 32 years.I'm oh so close to finnishing my firs gun,an early lancaster.I bought my wood and parts at dixon's about a year and1/2 ago.I think I found a hobby that's much to addicting though.I allready have the wood for my next one.For all it's mistakes i feel pretty good about how it turned out.when it's done i'll try to post some pics and let all of you critique it.My ironworker mentallity got in the way a few time's(If this hammer does'nt work get a bigger one) Have to learn not to be such a bull in a china shop.Thank's to everyone on here who answered my dumb question's

willy

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2010, 01:23:30 AM »
Willy here,
Been on some other sites and found this one while looking for tips on carving stocks.
Been shooting cap locks for over 30 years then got a Traditions Pa. flintlock rifle about 5 years ago before I knew what a real 1770's rifle was!
Saving my money for my first kit (Virginia)
Until then I'm planning on practicing my carving skills.
Once I get good enough with my practice wood then the Traditions gun will be my first carving on a gun.
See if I can turn it into a piece of art or a expencive piece of firewood!

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2010, 02:05:13 AM »
Dave M.1
Couldn't help but laugh at
If this hammer does'nt work get a bigger one)
. My dad was a mechanic and that was an old saying that he had. If the hammer you doesn't do the job, get a bigger one! Believe it or not he rarely broke whatever it was he was trying to get loose with it.

Welcome to ALR, you are right building longrifles is addictive an sometimes frustrating. But you can commensurate with others that have the same addiction. No more telling your wife and having her give you a blank stare.

Willy,
You certainly came to the right place to have someone help you get started with carving. There are some true masters here and they all are willing to help others get started.
Enjoy your stay,
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

tidbit824

« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »
Group,

Tidbit here: been lurking around the old forum for a couple of years. Don't know what happened...I had the new page saved and just reopened it today. ::)

I am a 59 year old semi-retired printer. I now work part-time...and that is enough to remind me of why I retired! ;) I have done some blacksmithing when I lived in New Mexico (worked with Christopher Thompson...that is the guy who forges rattlesnake lamps & tables). Also, was a working farrier for over 10 years...now there was a job. Liked the horses...

Been using and shooting ML's for a long long time. I have never built a rifle: although it is hard to resist the temtation after jumping around on this board. I am in hopes of visiting Dixon's this year and getting a deeper appreciation for this work.  Maybe building a rifle will keep my hands busy for a while and keep me from purchasing another gun. Ha !

Keep the posts for us newbies comming.

thanks to all,

tid

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »
Welcome back to ALR Tidbit. Hope you get started into building a longrifle. Once you start its hard to quit with just one.

Tidbit here: been lurking around the old forum for a couple of years. Don't know what happened...I had the new page saved and just reopened it today. Roll Eyes

About two years ago this coming May I moved the website to a new host and had all the old members re-register on the new software that we are now using. The old software had long out grown its useful days. We kept the old domain name www.americanlongrifles.com and also added www.americanlongrifles.org either one will take you to our home page.

Hope you make yourself at home.
Dennis
ALR Admin

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »
Hey Ya'll, I was very active in the'80's and 90's and buildin' like a madman about two guns a month and rendezvousing at every opportunity,then life got in the way and things changed for a while. Have been back into it for a while,but keepin it kinda quiet,haven't been to many shows or events of late,but back to building and doin' knife and leather work that I love. Now that I'm re-tired I'll probably be seein' ya at various shows commin' up. Doing all these crafts just feels good!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Calaloo

« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
OK, my turn. I am 67 years old, retired and busier now than ever. I have built probably a half dozen percussion and flint rifles 40 years or more ago. ( I remember when the Dixie Gun Works catalog was a pamphlet with maybe ten pages). For the past 10 years or so I've been restoring old single shot cartridge rifles I've even built a couple, one of which my son competes with.

Over the years I have accumulated a fair amount of parts to build longrifles. I have locks, stocks, and barrels and other parts.. Anyway I have gotten the itch and am going to have to scratch it. So I will be reading, lurking and asking questions. I am looking forward to our association.

Bill

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2010, 10:52:44 PM »
Hey Ya'll, I was very active in the'80's and 90's and buildin' like a madman about two guns a month and rendezvousing at every opportunity,then life got in the way and things changed for a while. Have been back into it for a while,but keepin it kinda quiet,haven't been to many shows or events of late,but back to building and doin' knife and leather work that I love. Now that I'm re-tired I'll probably be seein' ya at various shows commin' up. Doing all these crafts just feels good!
Welcome to ALR Pathfinder. You picked a good place to brush up on your skills and keep up with what's going on what others are doing. Hope you jump right into the discussions. Always good to have fresh views on how things are done.
Dennis

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »

Welcome to ALR Bill, always goo to have another member older than me ;D I am only 66 yrs and 8 months so I will always be younger than you! I built a kit rifle about 1972 but then didn't do anymore until around 1999. Wish I had kept fooling with black powder guns instead of modern centerfire.
Hope you have enough parts to build a longrifle with but in case you don't I am sure some of the guys here will be glad to sell or trade you for what you need.
Dennis

OK, my turn. I am 67 years old, retired and busier now than ever. I have built probably a half dozen percussion and flint rifles 40 years or more ago. ( I remember when the Dixie Gun Works catalog was a pamphlet with maybe ten pages). For the past 10 years or so I've been restoring old single shot cartridge rifles I've even built a couple, one of which my son competes with.

Over the years I have accumulated a fair amount of parts to build longrifles. I have locks, stocks, and barrels and other parts.. Anyway I have gotten the itch and am going to have to scratch it. So I will be reading, lurking and asking questions. I am looking forward to our association.

Bill

Joe B.

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »
Howdy Gents,
New old guy here.  I am working on muzzle loader #5 and while searching for some info. I came across this forum, read a little and decided it would be to my advantage to sign on.  I bought my first ML (a Zouave) from friend and mentor Jerry Marsh (Friendship Trade Co.) in the 60's and am now completing and trying not to butcher a .32 cal. half stock mule ear he started. He was hoping T/C would add it to their line but it didn't pan out so it sat unfinished for years. I have been shooting with the Joliet Muzzleloaders for 20 odd years now. I know this site will be a regular stop for me now. Thanks, Joe.