Author Topic: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.  (Read 101077 times)

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »
Welcome to ALR Joe, looks like our muzzloading interest may have started along the same lines. My first muzzloader, back in the late 60's was a Zouave and I too am finishing up a .32 (fullstock flint with 44 inch barrel).

I didn't start doing any building until around 2001 and have built 20 or 25 since then. Its addictive!
Enjoy your stay with ALR,
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »
I have been here a while, but feel led to introduce myself. I have never even put together a kit. I have refinished or finished a few guns that other folks have built. But I have zero skill or talent at it. I am a "hack." I am more of an admirer of all of you guy's fine work. So I hang out here to learn and to spectate... I guess I am a "groupie." If I could hang out and carry all your bag of tools and your guns to shows etc, I would gladly be a muzzleloading gun "roadie." ::)

I am an art director for an ad agency. I like old guns--the history and the shooting of them. I grew up in rural CA where I hunted small game regularly. I was always attracted to old guns and history. I have become friends with a few builders and have done some graphic design/advertising art work for some of you here on this board. That is my area of expertise.  I love what you guys and gals are doing and I read and learn here everyday. If I cannot do what you guys do, at least I can help promote it.

Muzzleloading gunmakers (new and old) are all an American Treasure. The combination of engineering and fine art, creating a beautiful practical tool that can be used and appreciated--that when you pick it up, you can almost feel the heartbeat of the person that made it. When you shoot it, its a tool yes, but it is also a piece of art that is a tool---You cannot get that from Walmart. You cannot get that anywhere but here. Yep, you folks are amazing, and deserve to be recognized-- and the art needs to be shared and taught to others of like mind, so it is not lost. That is why this message board has become so valuable--- it records a bit of the art and information for the future builders in an easy to access way.

Ken Prather
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:48:10 AM by Ken Prather »
Galations 2:20

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2010, 01:49:42 AM »
Ken,
I enjoy building, one of my problems is not being artistic enough to draw out what I would like to carve or engrave! I have problems "drawing" a bucket of water!

Good to have you with ALR. Lots of great guys here.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

old grunt

« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2010, 05:03:06 AM »
 I've been a lurker for awhile,most likely will stay that way ;)I've put together some kits will build one or more from scratch some day.
   I do a lot of squirrel hunting with a .40 cal flinter, deer hunt with either a .40 cal or a .50 cal flinter I drug my old CVA .32 caplock out the other day for my daughter to shoot,I believe I'll give it a facelift before I give it to her,I figguerd it would be easyer for her to start with then a flintlock.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2010, 05:56:05 AM »
Welcome, Old Grunt.

I started my boys off on percussions, but now they want flint. Go figure!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
"Hi My name is Doug and I am a muzzleloadingaholic", Hi Doug everyone said with a look of sympathy in there eyes.

I have been at this addiction since 1973 and seem to get worse every month.  I hope I am never cured.

Thanks to everyone for the info and pictures I have learned so much.  As Dr. Tim said when I joined "this place is GREAT"
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

California Kid

« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2010, 08:21:45 AM »
Do you need to share!

Steinkern

New Memeber
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »
Hi,

My name is Dave and I am new to this forum.  My only rifle making experiance has been the assembly of a Petrezoli 2nd Model Tower Musket (Brown Bess) kit.  I had a blast building it and it came out pretty well.  I use it for reneacting and it has been beat up pretty good over the last 10 years.  It's still in fine working order.  I am going to try may hand at another kit gun.  Probaly one of the kits offered by Track of the Wolf.  They have several I would like to try my hand at but I haven't decided which yet.  When I do you can rest assured that I will be coming to this board for advaice.

Dave

JoeD

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »
Hi All,
Newbie here!  ;D
I figured there must be a newbie thread on here somewhere and low and behold I dug this one up. I've been shooting Ml's for 20+ years and now have the bug to build one. Being from Bucks County Pa, I really like the A. Verner style. I picked up Chuck Dixons book and it really explained to me the process of building a longrifle. I'm really handy and can fix or create most anything with instruction. I'd like to pick up some more reading material, any suggestions as to what other books or periodicals I should be looking at? Any other suggestions for a wannabe builder/artisan?
Thanks!
Joe D  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:08:44 PM by JoeD »

greybeard

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2011, 11:31:10 PM »
Great post.  Din't you all juat wish this info was available 30-40 years ago. I know I sure do..  Bob

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:28 AM »
JoeD:  Welcome to the ALR forum!  ;)   Personally I would recommend the book entitled : Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele,  published by Shumway.  It come with a full set of plans for both pistol and rifle.   I always require this one for the beginner who comes to my shop as an understudy.   It has been reprinted and up dated several times since it's first publication date back in the 60's.  However it is an excellent book to get started with.    Hugh Toenjes   
H.T.

JoeD

« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
Great post.  Din't you all juat wish this info was available 30-40 years ago. I know I sure do..  Bob
I often wonder how we ever survived without this access to information.......30-40 years ago.

JoeD:  Welcome to the ALR forum!     Personally I would recommend the book entitled : Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele,  published by Shumway.  It come with a full set of plans for both pistol and rifle.   I always require this one for the beginner who comes to my shop as an understudy.   It has been reprinted and up dated several times since it's first publication date back in the 60's.  However it is an excellent book to get started with.    Hugh Toenjes    
Hugh......I just ordered Recreating the Longrifle. I've been trying to buy the Gunsmith of Grenville County but, it's out of print and the ones that are available are ridiculously priced. I hope it goes into print again. Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:22:19 PM by JoeD »

Offline James

« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »
JoeD, if you contact Scurlock Publishing they will put you on the notification list for "The Gunsmith of Grenville County", only they just said it's in the planning stage.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:40:10 PM by James »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2011, 12:57:44 AM »
Might as well re-introduce myself!

I'm Albert and I'm in Afghanistan! And yes, it really does suck here...

I've always wanted a collection of American Longrifles and associated era guns, and I just satrted with a Chambers New England Fowler. Probably build the Virginia style next, and then try my hand at whittling a big, fat barreled, flintlock chunkgun out of a piece of wood after that.

I'm looking forward to getting home and remaking my shop. That'll entail scoring a used Bridgeport, a 12X50 or there abouts, and I sure would like a surface grinder too. In all honesty though, I'll probably just have to make do with files and a piece of plate glass. Having said that, I really would like to also make some of the traditional tools of the 18th century and put them to use.

I also am interested in makeing some of the accoutrements like horns and measures, I think my talents will probably be taxed at that point!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
[url=http://trochronicles.blogspot.com/2010/12/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:01:52 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline okieboy

« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2011, 02:15:59 AM »
 You're wrong about talents being taxed, Al. They are like muscles, the more you use them the more they can do. They especially respond to stretching exercises.
Okieboy

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2011, 02:20:23 AM »
Thanks Mr Okie!

I'll keep that in mind; That's why I bought a couple dozen antler tips for powder measures...

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Don’t get Snake Bit!!! But if you do…

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
Albert, Are you a contractor, just curious? Either way, thanks, and keep your head on a swivel.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
Robbie,

Why yes, yes I am. In my second year of, (probably more than I ever thought I might have to endure), contracting.

Best regards,
Albert

fastfrankie

« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
Hello, My name is Frank and I live in Western Ct. . Inbuilt one rifle about 20 plus years ago and have not done any thing since, altough I have had parts for another all that time. Now that I am retired(semi) I now have the time to resume this addiction.

Dave Waters

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2011, 05:00:36 AM »
Hi all. Dave Waters here. I'm 70 and counting.
I built my first muzzeloading pistol when I was 13. My older brothers thumb and a small turtle fell to that "mighty piece".  :D
My first trip to Friendship was in 1962 when I got out of the Army. I've been to Dixon's and CLA.
I'm still a Baptist pastor of 40+ years and a retired tool, die, machine designer (2001).
I lurk here and learn much more than I could ever contribute. Always enjoy soooo much.
Though I've built others, for the last 21 years, "swivelbreech's" have been my focus.

To me, in today's muzzelloading you can still hear the "beat" of the pioneering heart of the American spirit.

I'm glad I've been allowed to be a small part of it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »
Dave, welcome and I sure would enjoy a Sunday of you preaching then us going shooting somewhere!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »
Hi, I', Terry  and I have been working on, building on, refurbishing on, shooting, and hunting with smokepoles since 1981.  My friends and I have built 5 or 6 rifles, which I shoot and hunt with as much as I can.  My latest effort was a .32 caliber flint in the style of JP Beck, but it was a collaboration between me and an old friend.  Prior to that rifle, another friend put together a .62 caliber Hawken and I did all the finish work.  When I am in the woods with a flintlock, I feel like I have stepped back in time 250 years.  There is just something about a flintlock that brings out the primitive in me.  This is a great site for all longrifle affectionados to enjoy.  Welcome.

Dave Waters

« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »
Rich, that sounds like a great time. You ever get to Indiana be sure to look me up.  ;D

Dave

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2011, 02:06:57 AM »
PB Flint,

I'm looking forward to trying to take an Eastern Turkey with my fowler, and a few hogs while I'm at it!

Best regards,
Albert

Mattole

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2011, 06:25:29 AM »
Hello Everyone

Kevin Peer here. I live in a remote area of northern California called the Lost Coast. And believe me, the terrain is steep and tortuous enough that you do not want to get lost around here.

I joined the forum here back in October and have learned a great deal. I have no previous experience with gun building but I aspire to build a number of longrifles in the future. My first step in this direction will be rebuilding a lightly damaged Lyman GPR that I recently bought. Then when funds allow I will move up to a Jim Chambers Isaac Haines kit.

I don't know quite what it is about longrifles, but I have been fascinated by them ever since I saw a 'living history' guy shoot one at Cades Cove in Smokey Mountain National Park when I was 11 years old. I also enjoy oldish lever actions, and have many.

My professional life has been varied and has ranged from television director for National Geographic to Counselor-Hypnotherapist and writer, which I do now and enjoy a great deal.

Take care and all best,
Kevin