Author Topic: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.  (Read 101060 times)

jmforge

Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 07:29:12 AM »
New guy here.  I am a hack bladesmith from St. Petersbrug, FL.  I have never built or owned a ML'er but i got the bug somehow, so I am deciding on my first kit. ;D

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here but not to muzzleloading. I've been shooting since I was about ten. I've been making accouterments for 25 years. I have also built a few guns over the years. Some of my work has been on Art's blog and I have been in Muzzleblast also. I like the photo's I've seen here of the new and old so I thought I would join.
Brian

Jammin Jim

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »
I guess I had better crawl out of the woodwork also...

I'm in Osage county Oklahoma now and had been introduced to BP several years ago... When I left Colorado to come to Oklahoma I was presented with a .54 Hawkins Rifle as a going away present from Some friends in the Hunter Education division of the Colorado Dept of Wildlife.  I am just getting started in re-enactments and would like to build my own long rifle in the future...

My avatar and personal message if part of the POW-MIA Remembrance Ceremony.  I am proud to be a member of the Remembrance team here in Oklahoma which provides the ceremony to any group that requests it.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 03:22:11 AM »
Just wanted to say Hello guys. I'm wanting to learn all i can about building ,carving, and shootin' Glad to be here.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline K. Moyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »
Guess it's time for me to come clean as well. I've been lurking around for a while admiring all of the fine work you people do. Got to talk to some of you at Dixon's this year, and will be building my first gun from a blank with parts and wood purchased there. I am a mechanical engineer by profession and suppository gunsmith by trade. Have done enough blacksmithing and woodworking to be dangerous, and have the patients of a cornered rat. This hobby sure looks like fun, hope it's relaxing as well. Get enough aggravation with my regular jobs! Get ready for the stupid questions!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin

eseabee1

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 04:39:09 AM »
Hey everybody I been shooting blackpowder since I was eight now I am 38..I just started getting into making powder horns and building rifles since I have been disabled do to an injury I got in Iraq so now I have nothing but  time well anyways just wanted to say hello

eseabee1

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 04:42:20 AM »
Oh yeah by the way just to let everyone know that was at Dixons this weekend I won the rifle can`t wait to shoot it ...

Marcial

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »

Hello Gentlemen, I am Marcial dos Santos, greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I have 54 , I am a full time knifemaker and just started in this activity from being enthusiastic muzzle load rifles and revolvers shooting  few years ago.
In my business practice forging Damascus steel among other techniques, and I have in mind  try to build my own Damascus steel rifle.
I hope to learn here, among you, as necessary to carry out this wish.
In hopes of not violate any rule of this forum I leave a couple of photos of some of the pieces we do with my partner, Javier Vogt.
I appreciate your kindness in advance.
Saludos desde Argentina, Marcial.

A little English style Bowie in "W" Damascus ladder pattern.

Integral Patch Knife in feather Damascus pattern.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:22:20 AM by Marcial »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2009, 05:59:57 AM »
Greetings Marcial,

Welcome to the board!
You're the 3rd new member from South America I've seen on here in the last week.

Those are some very nice Damascus knives. 

Good luck with your rifle project,

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Marcial

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2009, 04:49:18 AM »

Thank you very much for the welcome.
The project of the rifle is long term, my idea is to try to replicate a Remington Rolling Block rifle in Damascus steel, once I saw a modern replica of the model Creedmore in muzzleload and I fell in love with this rifle.
Today I bought an original acceptable conditions of use as a model I want to do.
As I can do something put photos of the process and ask what I do not know.
Again thank you very much.
Saludos, Marcial.

comitatense

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »
Hi,

I have been a Rev War reenactor here in southern California for about ten years now, and I have finally got the means to build my own rifle.  I have never built a rifle before, but this is something I have always wanted to do since I got into the hobby.  I have a decent background in woodworking and I think I should do fine with the kit I have ordered although I will be looking at many of the threads of this website to answer some of my questions.

Thank you!

Robert

bountyhunter

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2009, 09:42:40 PM »
I'm back in, thanks, Dennis.  More as time goes on!.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
I am 61 and just about finished with my first build. I am primarily an osage bow maker having made around 125 bows so far. Being retired I had to scale back my bow making because I found myself working 7 days a week to meet orders.
This left little time to work on my gun so it has been three years in the making.

I have shifted my focus to teaching bow building lately and am back to working on my gun. As soon as I fix a couple of mistakes ( poorly drilled holes in lock plate and tang) I will be ready to make smoke.

It was the gift of wonderful rifle by a friend with what appeared to be terminal cancer that opened my eyes to the beauty and functionality of a properly made longrifle and made want to build my own.

This site has an uncanny ability to post the exact answer to my gun building rookie questions a day or so before I am about to ask them.

I started with this;

And am here now;

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:39:09 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »
Looks like its coming along nicely.
Welcome to ALR
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Doc Or

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:30 AM »
Hello to all.
I have just recently found the American longrifle forum and enjoy it very much.
I have built a couple of flinters myself over the years but most of what I have have been built by others.
My gun hunting now a days is strictly muzzleloader or black powder, given up the modern powder years ago.
I will probably not have a lot to contribute because of all the experience here,  but will have questions as I do try to do my own repair if possible.
Beside muzzleloaders I to like other build self bows, mostly dabble, but enjoy it very much.
Again this is a wonderful board and am glad I found it.

Don
Oh and it has spell check. ;D

rsh

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the opportunity at membership.
I have a fair background in firearms and woodworking and have decided to merge the two. I'm currently working a smoothbore rifle and am looking forward to tapping the wealth of information I've seen on this site.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2009, 02:27:41 AM »
Welcome and look forward to hearing from all of you. Jump right in and make yourselves at home. Don't be bashful.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

pintail_drake2004

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2009, 05:07:01 AM »
Hi, I am a 23yo forester who is working on my Masters degree. I have always liked the traditional hunting aspect of the sport. I flint knap my own arrow heads, build my own bows-all that was left was build my own gun...well i finally took on the task. took 7 months and over 300 hours but i finally finished. It wont be my last, but it is the last one for the time being-at least until i graduate. it is always nice to have some place to go and ask questions when i get stuck.

jfaithbass

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »
 Hello..  Jeff here in louisville KY.
40 years old aircraft mech that is always building bikes, cars, trucks , planes or guns... built a couple of flinters... the last a .40 for my stepfather. working on a new fusil now and looking forward to fall

working on a new fusil now and looking forward to fall

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2009, 03:26:46 PM »
Welcome! Very nice Jeff!  :)  I bet he will enjoy that rifle a great deal.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2009, 03:19:42 AM »
Hello All:
               I have been lurking here and enjoying the wonderful information and advice for some time. I think it is time to introduce myself and stop feeling like an eavesdropper. I have been involved in black powder shooting since the mid sixties during which time I have had a half dozen rifles built for me but never attempted to build one of my own. After having the opportunity to take part in a rifle building class at the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio I have just completed my first build. I find it to be addicting and must admit to being hooked as I'm already selecting the parts for my next rifle. I only wish I had started years ago since at the young age of seventy three I will only be able to achieve a certain level of expertise which will never approach some of what I see displayed here. You may find me pestering you from time to time when I run into problems along the way,but it is reassuring to know that there are people willing to share their knowledge and expertise with a beginner. Thank you in advance....................Chuck.

Buffler Razz

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
Been lurking hereabouts for quite a while and on the old board as well. I liked the ability to insert a bio in your profie on the old board, but hey, change is good and this board is slick. Made a few posts, but don't want to show my ignorance. I live in western NYS, am 52 and am the Corporate Drector of Safety, Security amd Emergency Preparedness. I blame my outdoors addiction on my parents. We moved from the city to the country when I was 8 and I've been in love with the outdoors ever since. I've made a few selfbows, my own primitive style arrows, lots of knives and 1 real bp rifle. It is truly rewarding to take an animal with tools you have made. If it weren't for all the help and info I gleaned here I'd have  pile of wood and steel instead of something I truly cherish. I've got a fowler in the works now, but its on hold until after hunting season. Yes, this is addicting. I think it is the smell of the burnt powder that does it. My first foray was as a young teen and involved a friend, a ping pong ball, a wick from an m-80 and an old stump. Probably land you in jail today, but I was hooked.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2009, 02:43:58 AM »
Lurkers are not eaves droppers! They are just potential members that haven't taken the time to become official! Glad to have both of you. I hope you will make yourselves at home and feel free to make posts. Just jump right in and feel free to ask questions or answer other members questions. Between all us somebody will be able to help.
Dennis

Panther Creek

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2009, 03:37:33 AM »
Howdy Folks,

Just wanted to stop here to make my first post. Little about myself and my interests.

I am an All Trade mechanic for a large pulp and paper company with a degree in Electronics.  Born and raised in the Appalachians and now live in the same house I grew up in. My great grandfathers founded this community in the early to mid 1700's.

Always been somewhat of a early American history buff since my family dates to pre Revolutionary.
Allways been into guns and the outdoors but never had a muzzle loader.  Had the pleasure of knowing some very fine local craftsmen of old school Appalachia.

I have been into custom vehicle restorations for years but frankly got burned out and started getting back to my love of early handcrafts and metal working.

During a conversation with a friend, the topic of loosing our heritage knowledge of how to do things came up. I grew up on the typical farm, chickens, milk cow etc. My dad taught me how to plow with horses when I was young. My sons do not know what a horse collar even is!!

My middle son (16) is very interested in craftsmanship. I bought him a modern muzzle loader and that sparked the new journey!

This summer I decided I wanted to build my rifle, my own bullets and my own powder!

We have made a few batches of black powder so far and ready to progress.  I am in the process of converting one of my shops that I did vehicle work into our new shop.  Made some contacts with some local builders and gonna start some apprentice work as they have time!

I am going to tackle a Tomahawk at first just to get warmed up.

Sorry for the long post , but kinda excited about this!

Ken

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
Welcome Ken, I am sure you will find lots of good information here on ALR. We have members from all over the US and a few foreign countries. Many of us have interest in the Appalachian region.  Make yourself at home.
Dennis