Author Topic: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.  (Read 101070 times)

Rangerdave

Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2012, 03:04:52 AM »
I have not visted him yet but I have heard many good things about him. Cross plains is only about 20 minutes from me. Does anyone have any contact info for him?

Offline heelerau

« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:53 AM »
G'day you blokes, my name is Gordon Hazel, I live in sunny Western Australia, bit like your Texas. I tinker, but have not as yet built a rifle. Have some mates in Vernal Utah, Neil, Herb, Carney, Pat. and a lovely Lancaster .40 with a 44inch Colerain barrel and Jim Chambers lock. its death on Kangaroos and rabbits !! I am 51 and an operator in the mining industry.
    Have been on this website for a little while now, you all are a really great bunch of blokes, with  as much information and help as one could hope to wish for.

Cheers all

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2012, 04:34:44 AM »
G'day Gordon.  Welcome to the website.  Sounds like Chambers lock are known around the world as the best lock.
Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:35:22 AM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2012, 06:37:58 AM »
RangerDave

No Web site, Tip is Pretty low tech. Here's his contact info. Tip Curtis P.O. Box 203 Cross Plains Tn. 37049 615-654-4445 email-tipcurtis@bellsouth.net  Call first, as he goes to a lot of shows.  Tip may not have everything you might need, but He's real close to the saying "If he doesn't have it you don't need it" Part's, parts sets, guns in the white, and finished guns, and he'll be glad to show you around, and talk your ear off.  Don't go there and plan to spend less than three hours.  I think my Grand ma would call him a Pip.

Bill

Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

jballs918

« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2013, 02:57:20 AM »
well add me to the books. im going to try to figure out weather this is for me or not wish me luck

Hessian

« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2013, 06:20:13 AM »
Just saw this thread & thought I'd post. I'm 56 & have messed around with shooting, repairing, & building black powder rifles for a lot of my life. It all started with me browning CVA Mountain Rifle barrel after hours in the kitchen of the mess hall at WTBn Quantico. I was assigned to WTBn as an Armorer & I built that gun from a kit. I love Friendship & often just stand around & listen/watch. I have at least 4 "projects" that I really need to complete. I forge a few blades & reenact with the Washington County Militia (Over Mountain Boys) I've learned a lot from this forum & hope to be able to contribute something in the future.
Hessian

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »
well add me to the books. im going to try to figure out weather this is for me or not wish me luck jballs918
Welcome to ALR, make yourself at home. hope you find yourself a new hobby.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
Just saw this thread & thought I'd post. I'm 56 & have messed around with shooting, repairing, & building black powder rifles for a lot of my life. It all started with me browning CVA Mountain Rifle barrel after hours in the kitchen of the mess hall at WTBn Quantico. I was assigned to WTBn as an Armorer & I built that gun from a kit. I love Friendship & often just stand around & listen/watch. I have at least 4 "projects" that I really need to complete. I forge a few blades & reenact with the Washington County Militia (Over Mountain Boys) I've learned a lot from this forum & hope to be able to contribute something in the future.
Hessian
Good to have you join us. Several of my Gillespie ancestors were with the Washington County Militia.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2013, 05:02:49 AM »
Hello all,
I am new to the forum, and ever so glad that it exists! 
I've been muzzleloading for 20 years, and am getting into building again.  I built two easy (read: TC Hawken assembly) kits in '94, and am starting on a TOTW Vincent Ohio rifle to work out the kinks before I start on my Chambers Early Lancaster.
I'm taking woodcarving lesons and hoping to learn engraving with the help of "Engraving Historic Firearms" and Meeks' "The Art of Engraving."  I guess we'll see how it goes.  I'm terrified to even attempt to grind and sharpen my gravers.  One thing at a time I suppose.
If anyone lives in Las Vegas and can engrave, let me know!
Cheers,
Chowmi
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

chubby

« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »
Hello all, i am not new to shooting thunder sticks,but fairly new to the ALR forums. My uncle started me into it back in 1974. I shot at the Shawnee Rangers club that was run by David Masters and Daniel Lehman. Those were wonderful times.I built my first rifle from parts in 1985 and been at it since! I feel this site is the best thing on my computer! the knowledge and help given is  fantastic! Living in Bedford Co. Pa. makes it all that much more special. I will be looking forward to more forums in the future! The best to all of you and great shooting!!    Chubby.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
Welcome to ALR Chubby, make yourself to home. It is indeed a great site, much to learn and lots of ideas to steal. Post some pictures of your work when you get the time, sounds interesting. Dave here, pretty new to gun building, working on my first.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

callaojoe

« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »
Lifetime hunting, fishing and shooting enthusiast.  51 years old, live outside of STL Mo, and own a place in N/C Missouri for hunting.  Lifetime NRA member, and recently completed my first flint lock rifle.  It's based on the Southern Mountain rifle.  .45 cal DeHaas 42" barrel, Large Siler lock by Jim Chambers, and some decent curly maple stained with aquafortis.  Metal parts browned.  I'll do a separate post with pics of this rifle.. ;D

I am very new to flinlocks, and have yet to actually shoot one.  Been reloading for years for my rifles and handguns.  My dad got me started with that back when I was a kid, reloading for my Hornet rifle... 

My dad gave me my first black powder rifle, a T/C hawken 54 for my birthday around 1976, not long after I'd seen the Jeremiah Johnson movie.  Just had to have a Hawken, even though the T/C is a long way off from what a "real" Hawken looks like.  But hey, I was just a kid.  Still have that rifle, but don't shoot it as much as I would like. 

AtlLaw

« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
Been reading my way through the building forum and picking up some good tips for my current build!   :)

Thought I'd say hi...

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »
So AtlLaw, where do you hang your hat?  I am on the West side of Marietta along Dallas Highway. Are you a lawyer or a lawman?? ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

RobinD

« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
Greetings all,

I am a 45 year old real estate broker, long time gun enthusiast and simply in love with long guns. I want to build my first and will be here reading as much as I can.

Sure would love to intern or apprentice with anyone in my area. Which is Columbia, South Carolina. Anyone?  :)

Considering my first build kit to be from Track of the Wolf... though I have a lot to learn about wood and metal working!  ;D\

Hope everyone is great!
~Robin

AtlLaw

« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »
So AtlLaw, where do you hang your hat?

We must be pretty close Dr. T!   :o

I'm just off Barrett Parkway a couple of miles east of Dallas Hwy.

Ima lawyer; right now a prosecutor for Fulton County.

And you? 

BIGMAN

« Reply #216 on: May 23, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »
Hi All,

I am building a Jim Chambers Lancaster. It has not arrived yet, but thought I best join up, as this seems the best place to ask advice on building one. I built a Hawken some 30 years ago and have built my own rifle for military rifle competitions. This project will be a lot more invloved. I want to make a family heirloom for my four young kids. I guess this means I have three more projects after this? Kids are 5 months, twin 3-year-olds, and a 5-year-old.

CurrentlyI am a lawyer, prior I ws a police officer, soldier, and what will most likely be most helpful carpenter.

Can't wait to get that peice of wood in my hands to see what the possibilities are.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »
Ian,
Welcome. I am also a bit of a newbie to building.  20 years muzzleloading, I have a Chambers Early Lancaster as well, but am building an Ohio rifle as my learning build first. 
The Chambers parts set is beautiful and I can't wait to screw it up...
Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

BIGMAN

« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
Ian,
 . . . The Chambers parts set is beautiful and I can't wait to screw it up...
Cheers,
Norm

Thanks for the welcome Norm, I will let you know all my mistakes so you can repeat them. Got to admit I am scared of making some silly stupid mistake and ruiing would should be a beautiful rifle. Just have to keep telling myself, slow down, get it right the first time, and be sure you know what you are doiong before you start.

As a kid I was trained by my dad (an old-school carpenter) and his philosophy was make sure you do it right the first time, 'cus you do not want to learn bad habits.

eddillon

Re: the Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2013, 01:48:59 AM »

Engravertom,
Please join ALR.  We have some great builders here and some great engravers.  One more always welcome.  "Well known" restoration.  In New York State??

OK,

I'm a full time engraver for a well known firearms restoration company. I had some gunsmithing training years ago, bit have focused more on engraving since. Want to eventually build muzzleloaders, esp. European types, as well as some American styles.

I wouldn't mind learning to build traditional bows, either.

I did some forge work when i worked at Old Salem years ago, and would love to get back into that too. I made two stocks in gunsmithing school, one for a Ruger #1, and a mannlicher style for a mark X out of maple, with a cheek piece and some carving. Wanted to make longrifles all the way back then, but never have yet.

need to start, so when the kids are grown, i might be decent at it by then.

Take care,

Tom

uncle-duke

« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2013, 04:26:58 AM »
From the Mid Atlantic and interested in living history reenactments. I am looking to build a long rifle 18th century, give or take, flintlock. And found too many great write ups for how to and what not as well as what to do's. I have experience with metal, machining, wood and plastics manufacturing workings. 13 years night shift and now 5 more on days, my shop never minds me utilizing equipment after hours for a personal project.
I bought the 16th century matchlock I use for earlier reenactments. Now setting up with an 1812 group and need to kit up for a new era. Thought I might enjoy the study , planning and build for another time travel adventure.
Well I will try and post along the way and see how much I have yet to learn.

Enjoy all. Thom

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2013, 06:42:33 AM »
Found this forum recently and have been lurking.  I am a 63 yr old retired pharmacist in NW Indiana.  Been a shooter since I was a kid, and was introduced to muzzle loaders my senior year in college by a guy down the hall.  Actually built my first one in the dorm mostly (pretty crude but it worked.  Still have it.  Its good for inspiration.)   Over the years have built probably 2 dozen.  Some pretty nice, some pretty bad.  Current project is a Hawken rifle with masonic emblem inlays for one of my brothers.  Havent done much shooting for a while (kids, etc.) But now that I'm retired I am back to building guns and hoping to hone my skills.  Am back shooting Scheutzen rifles also.
Mikeyfirelock
PS.  Any of you guys from Fort Tassinong on here ? 
Mike Mullins

G Jantz

« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2013, 06:09:15 AM »
Well I guess I should chime in here as well. Just turned 60, retired Air Force/Air Guard after 30 years in the Des Moines area, but still working full time. Built a couple of CVA kits way back and really enjoyed the process. At that time the internet and forums were not around. Built a patch box for the rifle even thou it didn't have one. I did sell the rifle to a friend of mine, heard he got a deer with it. But have always love the long rifle and the heritage it has. I am the type that doesn't post much but reads a lot, learns ALOT, and keeps notes for my reference. TOW has been sending many books and nights reading here and the in the pages. I have started collecting for my first project, a Melchoir Fordney rifle from Joe Kindig Jrs. book #39 on page 134. Rice barrel arrived (44" .50 cal. swamped), spoke with Dave Keck and will be getting a pre-carved stock and the castings from him, and a Jim Chambers Late Ketland lock.
I would like to say this group/forum is a wealth of information from so many builders. The full time builders and the guys doing their first rifle. Looking forward to more learning and the building adventure.
Greg

mustangpalmer1911

« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2013, 07:13:11 AM »
Been lurking here for a while now. 30 years old from Scranton, PA area. I am a Federal Corrections Officer and 12 years in the Air Guard. I have always been big into history. Played the minature gaming everything from Rev to WWII(mostly civil war) when I was younger and have always enjoyed reading anything I can find about those same eras. Have hunted and fished my whole life and really started getting into firearms(beside hunting) about 21 then it was all about AKs, ARs, lots of rounds as fast as ya could. In the last 3-4 years BP has really grabed ahold of me and have been wanting to build my own longrifle for a little over a year now. Went to the Gettysburg 150th and Dixon's Gun Fair this year and between the two mostly Dixon's was the straw the broke the cammels back. Now I am just reading everything I can online and in books trying to decide what I want for my first I have some basic ideas but no real idea yet.

Thawk

« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
My name is Tim.  I recently retired from the Army after 22 years.  I'm originally from Western New York but I make my home in Arizona now.  I remember my Dad building a old Hawken kit years ago.  My grandfather loved to build furniture.  I like working with wood and building things.  I think what I like about building these fire arms is I feel this is the last time they were works of art as well as a functional piece.  Once the industrial rev.  started the art was taken out of it.   They are just awesome pieces.  The men who built them were good at so many different arts.  On top of all that the challenge of hunting the way people used to.  It just adds a little something to the hunt.