Author Topic: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.  (Read 101071 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2013, 10:50:58 PM »
Welcome guys!  Good to have you on board. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »
Wanted to welcome all the recent new members to ALR. Make yourself at home, I am sure you will find that our members are happy to help you with questions you might have on building, collecting or shooting of traditional longrifles. Also many members that are active in collecting and building the accoutrements that go along with these traditional rifles. Be sure to visit the ALR Virtual Library where you will find a fine assortment of original longrifles.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Bear62

Re: the Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2013, 04:55:24 AM »
Gary

I think it really is a Sickness!  ;D
Its bad when you are working on something and you are already planning the next. to make it all worse i have been eyeballing a pistol plan. UGH! It really is fun though, and the history and design of the rifles are great.

Marty
No, there's nothing wrong with you... you are perfectly normal as far as "Black Powder Gun Building Nuts" go! LOL
 I find myself doing the same thing all the time. While building a rifle for my father I had a... wild hair and stopped to build a pipe hawk, a flat priming horn, two antler handled turn screws as well as 3 sets of pan brushes and touch hole picks and that was just in one afternoon!!! The whole time I have been building the gun for dad I have been considering the flame cherry stock I had the 20ga. octagon to round smooth bore barrel inlet into and what I'm going to build, a Pa. fowler or an officers fusil... And meanwhile...over in the corner...sits a gun I am going to build for a friend who got burned by another "builder" who never started it but took his money.
Oh, and my best friend is building a gun in my shop as well.
 No, my friend, it's MUCH more then a "sickness", MUCH MORE... MUAHAHAHAH!!!

Oh, by the way, I'm Chris and yes, I'm new to this forum too, I'm building in Maryland, just outside of Annapolis and am doing mostly Emmitsburg style guns.

mustangpalmer1911

« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2013, 05:04:23 AM »
Gary

I think it really is a Sickness!  ;D
Its bad when you are working on something and you are already planning the next. to make it all worse i have been eyeballing a pistol plan. UGH! It really is fun though, and the history and design of the rifles are great.

Marty
No, there's nothing wrong with you... you are perfectly normal as far as "Black Powder Gun Building Nuts" go! LOL
 I find myself doing the same thing all the time. While building a rifle for my father I had a... wild hair and stopped to build a pipe hawk, a flat priming horn, two antler handled turn screws as well as 3 sets of pan brushes and touch hole picks and that was just in one afternoon!!! The whole time I have been building the gun for dad I have been considering the flame cherry stock I had the 20ga. octagon to round smooth bore barrel inlet into and what I'm going to build, a Pa. fowler or an officers fusil... And meanwhile...over in the corner...sits a gun I am going to build for a friend who got burned by another "builder" who never started it but took his money.
Oh, and my best friend is building a gun in my shop as well.
 No, my friend, it's MUCH more then a "sickness", MUCH MORE... MUAHAHAHAH!!!

Oh, by the way, I'm Chris and yes, I'm new to this forum too, I'm building in Maryland, just outside of Annapolis and am doing mostly Emmitsburg style guns.

I think sometime that is necessary let the creative juices retool and then go back to the project.

anj4de

« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
Hello everybody

My name is Uwe, I live in Germany, Bavaria to be more precise, and I have been interested in muzzle loader guns ever since first travelling the US in 87/88...
I have a number of original muskets here and also a .45cal Hatfield flintlock that I brought back from that first US trip.
Lately I was toying with the idea of building a rifle by myself. I am quite handy with metal (I think)...not soo much with wood...but I think I can handle a kit that has most inletting done already. I am looking forward to good discussions here and I already learned a lot by just reading posts and looking at pictures...

thanks a lot
Uwe

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
Hello Uwe.  Being handy with metal will be great for making and modifying and keeping sharp all the little tools you'll be fabricating to move those bits of wood out of the way.

I'm still building my first one (many years interrupted) and have learned very much about working wood in the process.  There'll always be more to learn, but I'm beginning to feel more confident in my ability to manipulate the maple. 

I'm glad i already had metal working skills and didn't have to learn all of that as well as rifle-building at the same time.  I'm hating buttplates right now...

I hope to make a few more, with more speed and accuracy soon. 

Cheers and Biers

Hello everybody

My name is Uwe, I live in Germany, Bavaria to be more precise, and I have been interested in muzzle loader guns ever since first travelling the US in 87/88...
I have a number of original muskets here and also a .45cal Hatfield flintlock that I brought back from that first US trip.
Lately I was toying with the idea of building a rifle by myself. I am quite handy with metal (I think)...not soo much with wood...but I think I can handle a kit that has most inletting done already. I am looking forward to good discussions here and I already learned a lot by just reading posts and looking at pictures...

thanks a lot
Uwe
Hold to the Wind

Blue Dog

« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »
While I am not new to muzzle loading I have not pursued it till recently. My first revolver was an 1851 Navy in 36 caliber and over the years I have had an assortment of black powder firearms but I never took them seriously, but now I am sorry that I am a late comer but I traded some archery equipment for a CVA Hawkens And that has got me stirrup Lets see if this takes off and keeps me off the streets at night.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »
While I am not new to muzzle loading I have not pursued it till recently. My first revolver was an 1851 Navy in 36 caliber and over the years I have had an assortment of black powder firearms but I never took them seriously, but now I am sorry that I am a late comer but I traded some archery equipment for a CVA Hawkens And that has got me stirrup Lets see if this takes off and keeps me off the streets at night.

Welcome to the clubhouse.  Similar to my backstory.  Just dig and read and read and dig around and select a style, buy a lock a stock and a bbl, get started...keep you offa streets long time.  ;)
Hold to the Wind

SteveMKentucky

« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »
New to the forum and just wanted to make an introductory post.  After many years away from Kentucky I have moved back for retirement and am building a contemporary longrifle.  I'm using a Colerain 'B' barrel in .45; a relatively early Virginia stock style; a large Davis flintlock; and mostly Dickert style hardware.  I've got everything inletted except for the patch box and am completing final stock shaping and limited carving/engraving.  

I'm very interested in the history of  flintlock and percussion rifles that were made in my area over a few decades in the late 1700's and early 1800's by a family named 'Settle.'  There seems to be very little information on these guns and examples seem to be rare.  Legend has it that the gun shop being operated by the last generation of Settle's in Hiseville Kentucky (Willis Settle) was destroyed by Union forces during the Civil War thus ending the family profession.  At any rate, I'm currently searching for info on the family and the guns.  If I can find enough information I'm considering attempting to write a book to document the story.  If anyone knows anything about these rifles or has any documentation I would welcome being contacted.

Thanks for accepting me to your community website; I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:42:24 AM by SteveMKentucky »

mild bill

« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
  A year ago I took my 8 year old son to a Seminole battle reenactment here in south Florida during which we both became fascinated with antique and reproduction firearms .Even though I am better than average at handling wood work and tools I decided to start conservatively with a Lyman GPR kit in 54 CAL . We are right at the beginning of this project and are waiting for the inletting black and plum brown I ordered  after reading the assembly manual. To my uneducated eye the inletting already done seems correct and very close though I am slightly concerned about  the barrel breach to tang fitting which seems ok . I am amazed to see that my son will put down his x box and come over to the table the moment I start the rifle project. we are pleased to find this site and welcome any help or advice as we progress.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:31:50 PM by mild bill »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
Good to have you (and hopefully your son as well) join us. If you have an interest in studying/building/collecting American Long Rifles you have come to the right place.
I am amazed to see that my son will put down his x box and come over to the table the moment I start the rifle project.
Wow, that's good to hear. That's one of the things that ALR is about, getting young people interested in Long Rifles. Hopefully after the GPR kit the two of you will want to tackle building one from scratch, a great project for a father to pass his wood working skills on to his son!
Make yourselves at home, ask questions, most of these guys love to see who can answer first!
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:27:06 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Stink Pole

« Reply #236 on: March 02, 2014, 02:47:04 AM »
Newbie "Stink Pole" here,
Actually my name is Jason Yanvary, 46 years old and hailing from NW New Jersey. I am a retired corrections officer, avid fly tier, reloader, and on the side I do some gunsmithing. I got started in the muzzleloader thing last year and absolutely fell in love with it. It really took me by suprise and before I knew it the Stink Pole was all I carried the entire fall and winter season. Even made my own powder horn from scratch. The powderhorn thing even made a few sales for me in my area with the other traditional guys. 

Absolutely love the site. So much awsome information being shared here. Greatfull that there are people like all of you contributing here. Much appreciation.

Thanks, Jason 

dlbarr

« Reply #237 on: March 02, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »
I think the Davey Crockett series on TV got me on to these muzzle loader things.

Tom (Acer)

Acer, I was born the year Walt Disney released the Davy Crockett series (1955). I was named David, like a zillion others during that time and I grew up lovin' & livin' ol Davy. With the exception of a few short years when I got excited about hot rods & girls, I never got over muzzle loaders. Been excited about BP cartridge guns (who doesn't like a smoke-belchin' 45/70?) but always come back to front stuffers for the most fun & interesting type of shooting & hunting IMO.

Have been here on this site just a very short time, working on my 2nd build of all time - an English Sporting Rifle. Hope to have it finished by April to give myself a b'day present. Sure enjoy all the help from this group, very knowledgeable, helpful & friendly. Hope I can add something here as well.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:13:37 AM by Dave »

Dociron

« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2014, 08:56:32 PM »
Hi been lurking here since December. I've been a fulltime restoration hardware blacksmith for over 40 years.

Had my first ML when I was twelve. It was a Silas Allen that sadly was stolen. I'm in the process of moving to Vermont and building a new shop. There I hope to semi-retire and start building long guns. My first attempt will be to reproduce that Silas Allen that I loved to shoot so much as a kid. 

Offline sz

« Reply #239 on: March 02, 2014, 09:23:49 PM »
Well some of you know me.
I am Steve Zihn.   For those that are interested, here’s my life’s story.

I started out as a small child!
(fast forward a bit)
Now I am older and I am building toys for other kids, no matter how old they are.
It’s what I do.  Full time.

dlubbesmeyer

« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
Hey guys
Hello from northern Minnesota, land of 10,000  lakes  and sugar maples. I have been on the site previously (before the domain change) and gleaned enough information to first build a CVA rifle kit, and then a Dixie .45 Albrecht style pistol. I cant tell you all how much I appreciate the information that comes from this site. Through your encouragement I have started a Maple blank build with a 42" swamped Colerain barrel, Chambers early Germanic lock, loosely styled after the Schreit rifle, or at least a Moravian style. I have just completed the barrel inlet and the Ramrod drilling and so far so good. I am learning something everyday on this and pushing my skill levels, Thanks again for the help. I am planning on learning how to post photos next as I have chronicled the build as I go.
Dan

PeteStevens

« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »
Greetings, My name is Pete Stevens from Connecticut. I did Rev War reenactments in the the 70's and did some competition shooting with the Brown Bess. I built a CVA rifle (junk) and shot it back in the day. I am collecting books, reading this forum and ordering how to DVD's on everything that has been passed on as advice. To date, I do not have a mentor here in Connecticut but if anyone knows of a builder nearby (MA, NY, CT) I would appreciate passing his name along.

Best

kaintuck

« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »
I'll throw my hat in here!
Born in Kentucky, and all my family still live there. I though, currently reside here in middle Tennessee because that where my wife and I have jobs! This day and age, that's a GOOD thing. Always been interested in guns, but fell in love with my 1st home built flinter, a TVM 'kit'. Since then I have tried to get better at it....on number 10 now, but still see all my mistakes.
With the help from here, and other places, I keep going.....and Track of the Wolf, Chambers Flintlocks, Dave Keck are a big help to me....and part of each paycheck goes to them too! ::)
I don't know where this end.....but I'm enjoying the ride!
Marc

justAwink

« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
I am Shane Wink from West Monroe , LA. I built a Lyman GPR and enjoy shooting it but its just not what I believe I really want. I enjoy studying the American Revolution and doing some experimental history with the clothing and trekking. I also am a involved with FCF ( frontier Camping Fellowship) within the Royal Rangers and all of this has led me to wanting to purchase an early Lancaster to build for use within the  FCF and my persona of the common patriot/farmer and to experience what it is like to shoot, hunt and carry the rifle. I am very excited but still have cold feet everytime I see the bottom line to build lol!

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2014, 05:35:08 AM »
Gentlemen,                                                                May 25, 2014

The post is an introduction of myself to you. My name is Chris de France, PLS.  Health conditions have forced me into an early retirement. The last thirty four years, I have been a Land Surveyor in South Arkansas. At the age of twenty three, I married and started working for General Dynamics as an illustrator working with a Tool Design Group.

Flintlock long rifles have been an interest of mine since I was a youngster in Fairfax County, Virginia.  Later moves, placed the family in New England, Texas and eventually in our old family home in Arkansas. Hunting and fishing is second nature to us in South Arkansas. The purchase of a Traditions Long Rifle percussion and a Colt Navy 1851 percussion, many years ago, has peaked my interest into the flintlock. I want to make my own gun.

My ALR profile indicates a start date of June a year ago, but I have been quietly reading all of your posts for the last four years. I believe the change from the Dell to the Mac Pro last June had some thing to do with my profile change. I want my first build, to be a Jim Chambers, New England Colonial Fowler/Militia. This, I hope to be within the next year.

This post is to introduce myself, but also to place some beautiful art of the gun in the mid 1700‘s on hunting in America and on  “ Hunting, fowling, & shooting in American public gardens & grounds”  from a blog by Barbara Wells Sarudy on Tuesday, June 4, 2013.

In early colonial America, gentlemen with a little time on their hands enjoyed plenty of hunting & fowling in season.  Less wealthy professional hunters searched for skins to sell or trade.  And even common farmers hunted to augment their family's food supply.  As cities expanded at the end of the 18th-century, townsfolk, most of whom had moved to the city from the countryside, searched for nearby venues for hunting and shooting.

http://publicpleasuregarden.blogspot.com/2013/06/hunting-fowling-shooting-in-commercial.html

These paintings are beautiful art of the time of the flintlock, in America with families enjoying hunting and shooting, and this displays hunting with the guns that we all delight in fabricating.

This is a very well done forum in a time that I would assume, we all would have loved to have lived in ourselves. Thank you, everyone. I really do enjoy the American Long Rifle.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:56:46 AM by chrisdefrance »
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

keydet15

« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:08 PM »
Ha yall,

I'm Josh from Virginia, been watching this form for a couple of years finial decided to join.  Looking forward to getting advice from everyone here with future projects.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »
Welcome to ALR Josh, what area of VA, I live just west of Richmond. Lots of other VA guys members here.

Make yourself at home.
Dennis

keydet15

« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2014, 12:30:40 AM »
im about hour north of cvillie

Longwayfromhome

« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »
Greetings Everyone,
I have been hunting and using cap lock and inline muzzleloaders for about 12 years now, but I am interested in flintlock rifles for hunting and some target shooting. I've been overseas for the past few years and I am looking for something of a hobby. I have been considering building a kit gun for a while now, so I decided to join instead of just lurking.

I live in the area of western Pennsylvania and would be interested in shooting clubs ands builders in my area. I'm not quite sure where this is going to go for building as I'm not really on a fixed time schedule at this point. I had considered buying a used flintlock to see if I like it before I take the plunge and try to build something.

Anyway....that's me!

Pete 

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
Hey, CowboyCS, did'ntcha know that large bore double and triple barrel rifles & rilfe/shotguns were made right here in the US of A?

For example, William Wingert, Detroit, Michigan made some .58 cal, and perhaps larger, double rifles for the wealthy guys who liked to go West to hunt Big Things. Other Michigan gunsmiths did the same.

As I'd like to see you inspired to leave the Old Country, I've emailed you a pdf of Michigan multi-barrel arms extracted this a.m. from my book Michigan Gunsmiths Didn't include Wingert, though.