Author Topic: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.  (Read 101082 times)

Offline Bill-52

Re: the Official Un-Official " Newbie Introduction Thread.
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
I posted a question earlier today on the Antique Gun Collecting thread and realized I probably should have introduced myself more broadly here first (particularly since I've been a daily reader of this forum for several months)

I'm 57, semi-retired, now in the Boston area but originally from outside Philadelphia.  My father started collecting Civil War (and pre- & post-CW) naval firearms in the late 60's.  I joined him in that passion at 16 and inherited his collection when he passed. 

More recently, I've become fascinated by American longrifles, particularly those made in Pennsylvania (Lancaster, Dauphin, York, Lebanon and Berks counties to start).  The learning curve from Civil War (predominately factory produced, percussion & cartridge, breech loading & repeating) to individually crafted, single shot, muzzleloading, flintlock & percussion has been steep but very enjoyable. 

This site has been a tremendous help in my ongoing education, not only in terms of the wealth of information & knowledge but also references to texts to study.  While I can't yet forsee approaching the level of expertise evidenced in this forum, my more immediate objective is to be able to identify with some degree of certainty the origin and, ultimately, maker of a given rifle.

Many thanks to those who contribute here.....

Bill

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
More recently, I've become fascinated by American longrifles, particularly those made in Pennsylvania (Lancaster, Dauphin, York, Lebanon and Berks counties to start).  The learning curve from Civil War (predominately factory produced, percussion & cartridge, breech loading & repeating) to individually crafted, single shot, muzzleloading, flintlock & percussion has been steep but very enjoyable.
Welcome Bill,
Glad to have you join us here at ALR. Many of our members are collectors of the types of rifles you mention above but even more of them are builders/shooters of contemporary copies of these rifles. Whether a builder, shooter or a collector I think you will gain knowledge here. Feel free to ask questions, most of our members enjoy sharing their knowledge.

Be sure to visit our "Virtual Library" ( http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=21.0 ) The rifles that are pictured there are originals and are available for your comments.

Dennis Glazener
Admin
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Stone River

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2009, 03:06:23 AM »
Hello Forum Members!
     I like everyone else it seems have been lurking for a while now.  I hail from NH, you know "Live Free or Die."  Well I have it in my head to build a flintlock rifle.  I own a couple now and enjoy shooting them and hunting with them as well, but thought it would be a good winter project. I'm sure it will probably turn into an addiction. ;D Guess I came to the right place huh?  I'm a huge flyfisherman, and a better than average fly tier I guess, so I'm into the detail stuff and have patience.  I'm certain I can't contribute much, the stuff you all build and do is absolutely beautiful to say the least, but I'll do what I can to help others out.

Thanks in advance for you patience.
Dan 

TomK

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2009, 03:17:44 AM »
I'm 53, live a coupe of miles east of the Mississippi in Ham Lake, Minnesota, was into WW1+2 rifles for a long time, next was BPCR, then....Hmmm..I read Ambrose' Undaunted Courage a couple times a couple of years ago and I found myself wondering why I hadnt realized so much of that history before; I heard the story long ago but the interest hadnt sparked. That led to reviewing a certain tutorial by a member here over several months and getting up the gumption to try a kit build. I chose a Stith 1792 rifle. I finished it about a month ago, it works, has lots of corrections I mean 'character' and now I'm on my second.. So now I'm stuck in 1720-1850 or so, moccassins, horns, bags, powder, patch and ball.... ;D

Offline horseman

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »
 I am retired.  I spent 32 years on the Santa Fe; BNSF, my last 11 years.  After retirement we moved from Iowa to the northwest part of the Valley of the Sun, Az..
 I am very new to these flintlocks, but get great enjoyment reading, studying, and learning about them.  I'm impressed with the degree of knowledge and helpfulness here! 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
Dan,
TomK,
Horseman,

Glad to have you join us here at ALR. I feel sure you will enjoy your stay. There are a number of like minded members here so make yourself at home.

Many of our members, me included, are exclusive flintlock shooters but there are also members that enjoy shooting/building percussion rifles as well.

Welcome to ALR!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »
Hello Forum Members!
     I like everyone else it seems have been lurking for a while now.  I hail from NH, you know "Live Free or Die." 
Dan 

Dan, I am just over the border from Mass, on the edge of the Hudson River Valley. I go to shoots in Saratoga, along with other shooters from VT, NH and ME. Welcome to the ALR!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

ramserl

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »
Hi
My name is Ray and I to live in New Hampshire.  I work as a welder in a power plant.  Love to learn and do things the old way.  Working on my third build can't wait to start a new one.  Have learned a lot already on this site.  Looking forward to more knowledge

Thanks
Ray

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2009, 04:00:59 AM »
Hi Ray!  Welcome to the board.  What style guns have you built and what are you working on now?
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

ramserl

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »
Thanks Ken.

I have built a tenn. mountain poorboy style, a civil war Tallahassee carbine, 1770 English carbine or sergeants of grenadiers.  Working on two German horseman pistols.  Each one seems to get a little better!!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2009, 11:17:17 PM »
Hi
My name is Ray and I to live in New Hampshire. 
Thanks
Ray
Welcome aboard, Ray! I am glad to see a strong representation from New England!

I hope you find this site helpful and enjoyable.

Regards, Tom

D Burns

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 04:04:44 PM »
Hello All.
I aplolgise for not doing this sooner. I thought  I had. Been lurking here for a couple of years. 
 I remember an intro somewhere . Or it's lost in cyberspace
Anyhow..  I'm retired, never see 65 again. I do hobby blacksmithing in a little shop I built between honydoos.
 Seem to be drawn to old machines and tools. I've put together one precarve from DGW. Never have got it to fire consistantly.
I've been mostly working in  hand forged knives , fixed blade and folders. I've come to actually enjoy making the leather sheaths.
Hobby has been on hold a couple of years, while I was building our house. I would like to start back up and keep everything focused around Colonial and Revolutionary firearms and everyday hardware of those times.
This site is a gold mine of information. Thanks to all those artist who share their hard earned knowledge here.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
I've put together one precarve from DGW. Never have got it to fire consistantly.
Sorry to hear about that. Its one of the most aggravating things I know of. To never know when a rifle is going to fire is frustrating. Probably some of the guys here can help you find the problem. Start with the frizzen being to hard/soft then check the flash hole.
Dennis

exTNer

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
Hey gang.  Most folks call me Jamie, I'm 51 (don't know how it happened either!).  I'm in northern Indiana, and still looking for someone in the area who has built a few rifles that wouldn't mind sharing info on occasion.
Ken Guy sent me over here after I contacted  him.  This is a great site!!

I'm just getting back into this hobby after a 30 year break.  Just finished (finally) a CVA Kentucky rifle kit that I started 31 years ago, and boy is it rough!!  But with more fine tuning and load development, it is shooting better than I can hold it.  I had finished a CVA Kentucky pistol and an EMF 1858 Remington revolver kit in the late '70's, and shot both of them until I tired of the cleaning ritual.  The rifle had me stumped after I put in a double set trigger and new lock with fly, both from Dixie kits.   The triggers just wouldn't trip the sear reliably.  Turns out it was just a tiny amount of wood interference at the rear trigger.  Also did some minor changes in the breech to make it easier to clean and less prone to fouling.  This thing was still up in my parents attic after all these years and my father was threatening to throw it in the trash.   I was surprised the wood hasn't turned to balsa with the 130 plus temperatures in that attic all these years. 

I'm now looking at some of the great parts sets and kits out there, and may never be able to decide what to build next.  I'm sure when I do, I'll be able to get any answers I need from this site.  Thanks!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2009, 12:31:58 AM »
Jamie, thanks for the thoughtful intro. I, too, took a long break from building. Maybe 15 years. I found not only was I still interested, but upon discovery of the ALR, my interest level has intensified.

Good luck and Welcome!

Tom

g.pennell

« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2009, 03:30:54 PM »
Guys, another slightly used "newbie" here.  I built my first few long rifles (actually, re-built the first couple a couple times each  ;D) during high school/college years.  Then, sort of got side tracked with a quarter-century (man, that sounds like a long time when I say it that way...) of military service (Army).  Now that I'm "retired" I'm getting ready to set up my great-grandfather's forge and get my feet wet again.

I've done just about all the outdoor crafts at one time or another: taxidermy, made my own flyrods, tied flies, made a bunch of self-bows, arrows, and all the leather gear, and for the past several years done a lot of "period" gunsmithing...mostly early cartridge guns of the mid-late 19th century.

I've always wanted a fine early long rifle, something with a wooden patchbox...so that's where I'm going to start.  I can't express what an inspiration this board has been since I found it...an absolutely priceless resource!

Greg Pennell
First Sergeant
US Army, Retired

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the chance to introduce myself, better a little late than never I guess.

I'm a dairy farmer by trade and I live right in the middle of Minnesota near Long Prairie. I'm 56 years old.

My interest in muzzle loaders began when I was a kid watching Fess Parker portray Daniel Boone. Didn't act on that interest until I bought a TC Hawken in 1974, then in 1976 bought a set of parts for a .58 caliber half stock GRRW Hawken for a whopping $260! Doesn't sound like much money now but back then it was a sizable investment for me. I used that old rifle for many years and it served me well, took several nice deer with it here on my farm. I had a lot of fun building it but when it was finished, I decided I could do better on the next one, and the rest is history I guess. During the winter I usually try to build 2-3 rifles and have done so for the last ~30 years. None of my rifles have ever been as spectacular as some of the beautiful works of art some of you have shown here on A.L.R. Most of my rifles have been of early southern or Virginia style with a few flint Lemans thrown in. Flint guns are my main focus although I did just finish a percussion half stock Hawken since I had the breech/lock/heavy barrel taking up space in my shop for about 10 years, so I decided to put them to use.

I enjoy reading how all of you address certain problems encountered when building these wonderful old fashioned guns. I figure I'm never too old to learn from others.

Thanks.

Ted Kramer
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:49:22 PM by Ted Kramer »

The other DWS

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2009, 04:54:18 AM »
'nother newbie here.  I slid in sideways from the Single shot cartridge rifle crowd (ASSRA).  I recently picked up a very nice original c 1880 chicago -built Rudolph Grimm Percussion Schuetzen and was told that you had some similar stuff on occasion in the Antiques forum.  I read through all 38 pages and decided to check out the "buildding" forum as well.    I've built maybe half a dozen flinters over the years.  I was heavily involved in the Rev War and F&I reenactment here in the midwest in the late 70's early 80s.  started a local group based on a local angle/french/NA civilian fur trad post population.  Wound up creating several french trade guns, tulle fusils, backdating ccharlevilles to FI appearance and similar stuff.  No kits back then, mostly pick'n choose'n modify parts.   did a lot or research up in lower canada in the small town museums looking at old cut down and modified flinters.

Right now I'm starting a version on one of'em I remember.  a Type C/D that had been converted to a half stock rifle and later to percussion and other modifications.  I'm keeping it as a full length flintlock, but rifled barrel and real sights plus a SST.  not totally authentic but its sorta my dream rifle.  mostly using TOTW components.

eventuallly if I can find a place to get repros of my trigger guard and buttplate cast I want to may an accurate copy of my Grimm Per-cuss'n schuetzen rifle so I can shoot it rather than the original.

DW Stiles

Offline Model19

• Why read fiction, history is fascinating enough
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2010, 04:39:09 AM »
I might as well chime in here too.  My interest in muzzle loaders was spurred on by family research I've been doing in the last several months.  Mine is by no means a unique story, but the first two generations on my mothers side were early settlers in New England, Portsmouth and Portland area specifically, and they met their early ends in the late 1600's because they could not reach their firearms in time when they were attacked.   Finding that out lead me to think about just what type of firearms they may have had back then, which eventually lead me here.   I have many modern rifles and a small but growing collection of S&W wheelguns, so I figured I may as well add an old timer (older than my late 1800's model 94 anyways) or two to the pile.
I have to say this is a fascinating area of study and I have enjoyed the last two months immensely doing research and learning all I can.
I want a late 1600's style club butt smoothbore as my first appropriate addition, and am going to build one in the next few months once I work out the details.  I have no fear of projects involving hand work and odd skills, I actually love the challenge and learning process.  So I'll be reading all there is here and asking questions as I go. 
Best to you all, and keep your powder dry.

Geoff
Bangor, Me.
Strawberry Banke, Greenland and Falmouth
Anthony Brackett's roots go deep

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2010, 06:10:01 AM »
Welcome Geoff

I am also interested in building a smoothbore of the 1650-1690 period.
Unfortunately there is not a lot of info available on English guns of that time, nor
parts available for such guns. Probably the main source is The Rifle Shoppe, but I
have read so many horror stories about their customer service that I have
hesitated to order from them.

I must admit that I do not particularly like the club butt and would rather find details
on an English musket.

I did a lot of genealogical research about 7-8 years ago and found that I had several
ancestors on the Mayflower and some others that arrived by 1640 and spread into New
Hampshire and Maine.  Like you, I found quite a few family members who were killed in the
Indian wars of the 17th century.

all the best
Paul
(grew up in Freeport, Me)

longhunter1757

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
OK, my turn.
   Just signed up yesterday. Built a few sootburners myself over the past few years for both myself and a few others. Getting better as I go.
Got into muzzleloading back around 1994 mostly to get an extra deer season. Joined a buckskinning club to better learn how to use them and the next thing I know I'm into reenacting F&I.  Been doing ranger and 1st Virginia Regiment for a while now but I'm thinking of kicking up the building a notch. My next project is a smooth rifle for my 9 yr old son. He wants a Lehigh Valley style exactly like dad has but in a smaller version for him. Thank God he's interested in the outdoors because it sure has kicked up the fun factor for me.
   I live in SW PA and have a wonderful wife who's put up with me for the last 18 years. Two kids, a daughter who's 13 and loves fishing and camping and a son, 9 who loves everything that dad does. What could be better? Life isn't good. It's capital!!!!

Rich Baker
Longhunter1757

Offline Model19

• Why read fiction, history is fascinating enough
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
Thanks Paul.   You are right about there time being less info on that time period.   I have found some in Flayderman's guide,  NRA articles on colonial arms, and some older books.    The toughest part has been appropriate locks to use.  The rest of the pieces were simple and rather plain and easy enough to source.   I'm going with a fowler as it makes sense that a working guy could only afford one, so you'd get something that could put food on the table all year round from any source.  
Club butt's are odd in appearance, but they were almost exclusive to this region in that time period.  Some sources state that they were mostly made in Mass. below the Boston area from imported British barrels and locks primarily.  So just as the South can claim the ornate and art-like Kentucky and it's variants, us plain New Englanders get our own "work of art" with the club butt.    
Early Rustic Arms and Sitting Fox have kits but the locks are 1700's pieces.   :'(
Strawberry Banke, Greenland and Falmouth
Anthony Brackett's roots go deep

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
Welcome Model19,longhunter1757,G.Pennell,Ted Kramer and The Other DWS and anyone I missed to the best site going on Longrifles, explore, read, post, search. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Tim C.

Offline bbhf

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »
Greetings to all: i found this thread after i have posted my schimmel? with pics thread: i have been shooting, collecting, swapping and admiring muzzle loaders since the early 1970s: i started when i lived in Maine and though i slacked off now and then it is always very close at hand: i currently live in CT and will be back in the mountains of Maine very soon: i have gotten the bug to build a rifle and have a stock and barrel on the way: i like the plain type of rifle: i always go for the everyday items as i feel they hold the most character: i am a blacksmith, welder and teach both at a trade school: i think this site is fantastic: like the blacksmiths trade if we do not share info, knowledge, techniques, the trade would be lost: i look forward to adding my two cents worth: keep up the good work: skip
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:27:28 PM by bbhf »
skip

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »
Geoff

I found an excellent article with pix of 17th Century English locks at:
http://briangodwin.co.uk/lock.html

Also Jack Brooks has some casting sets that might be appropriate:
http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/riflessundriesforsale.htm

all the best
Paul
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:36:14 PM by ptk1126 »