Author Topic: ... Related to Chris Hirsch's Post on TENNESSEE RIFLE  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

... Related to Chris Hirsch's Post on TENNESSEE RIFLE
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Found these photos on the Contemporary Makers blog of Wed, Feb 10, 2016....photos by Jan Riser taken at the Tennessee show in 2015 ....no info or specs given ... However I do believe she is by the same hand as the rifle Chris has posted in question .... perhaps Art & Jan have info in their files .... ??? ??? ???...... Regards, C C Fiddler  ....(LEFT CLICK TWICE TO ENLARGE PHOTO)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:51:34 AM by Cades Cove Fiddler »

Offline RobertS

Re: ... Related to Chris Hirsch's Post on TENNESSEE RIFLE
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:35:43 AM »
Great catch, CCF, I think you are on to something there.  This has really been an interesting discussion to follow. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:10 AM »
What a beautiful rifle.  There's that long, thin patchbox again.  What are you thinking on build date?  Maybe 1830's?  Late era lock.  That bore is interesting, as the lands look to be flat versus concave in cross section.  Probably just an illusion.  That long buttplate return on the comb is really neat. 
A great rifle for a builder with architecture skills to recreate.  God Bless, and stay warm,   Marc

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 04:46:06 AM »
Isn't this the same rifle as the one Howard posted pictures of, at the bottom of Chris Hirsch's initial post?  Shelby Gallien

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:11:31 AM »
 ;)... Yes,....had not seen other pix prior to posting .... Always good to have more pix, however .... Anyway, has anyone got an idea as to maker ..?? ... Methinks both by same gunsmith ........ ??? ??? ???

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 05:43:33 AM »
 :o :o :o... Just saw some more pix from Jerry Eitner of this rifle .... excellent forge-work on the iron mountings ... This gun has a tapered point barrel tang that goes up the comb of the stock like many East Tennessee "lollipop" tang extensions do .... never saw that before ..... sure would be good to I.D. this maker ... !!!!

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:37:04 PM »
That rifle belongs to Howard Kendall.  Definitely made by the same person as made mine.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »
I thought the creator of these rifles was identified as Elbert Bible. Was this somebodies guess, or is there some hard evidence?

Hungry Horse

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »
Hungry Horse, I have never seen that reported.  I have seen a Bible rifle and I have a Bible pistol.  Maybe those discussions were what you saw.  The Bible guns I have seen are nothing like these.