General discussion > Gunmaking tools and techniques- metal shaping

Building an Ohio Style Halfstock - broken photos fixed!

<< < (2/25) > >>

Tim Crosby:
 Great series & Pix, I like the way you use the clamps when drilling the RR hole, especially the modification to the one closest to the hole.

Tim

KC:
I'm looking forward to following this. I have an old Ohio percussion muzzleloader that my Dad had around the house for over 40 years until he passed away. Now I have it and had Jack Brooks do some work on it. I've wanted to post pictures on this site to see if anyone could help me ID the maker or provide any insight but I haven't done it yet.

I'm anxious to see how this one comes out, so far it's looking reallly nice.

smallpatch:
Nicely done Curtis.  You've shown the Newbies that a lot of problems, and/or mistakes can be repaired or hidden with a little ingenuity.
BUT, dang dude, you need a bandsaw.
Again, nice job.

Curtis:
Thanks for your comments guys!  Tim, I learned how to modify the clam you mentioned in one of Jack Brooks classes at the NMLRA gusnsmithing seminar, it has proved to be quite useful.  It is hard to tell from the photos but in addition to the plethora of clamps I taped some spacers on the barrel to help keep the drill level and also employed a couple of velcro loops.  A wondering ramrod drill can be a disastrous thing... yup, that is the voice of experience!

Smallpatch - a bandsaw would speed things up a bit, but believe it or not the last time I used a bandsaw I removed too much wood then also.  Just faster, lol!  And yes, a mistake just creates an opportunity to get creative and figure out how to get past the issue.

Curtis

JVavrek:
Curtis, thanks for posting this build. Can't wait to start on my first build. Watching you guys just gets me that much more fired up about getting it going. Great job and keep us posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version