Author Topic: Kibler Kit Enhancements  (Read 5983 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Kibler Kit Enhancements
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
I am finishing up a Kibler kit an have seen some nice embellishments on some of the finished kits posted.

I never leave anything plain and am looking for ideas on patchboxes, mouldings, nose caps, side plates and the like that others have added to their kits.

Got any pictures?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:45:07 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Chowmi

Re: Kibler Kit Enhancements
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »
Eric,
I did a pewter chevron nose cap on mine.  Here's a picture:

It was a challenge and I learned a lot from it.  If you choose to do that, let me know, I might have some tips --

I bought a steel banana shaped patch box and then never put it on the gun.  If you are interested, I would be happy to send it to you for free.  I suspect I won't use it. 

Otherwise, I left mine plain.  I wish I had put a round grease hole in the wood.

Cheers,
Norm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:30:35 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »
Norm,
It would be great to ear your tips on pouring a pewter nose cap for the Kibler SMR. I am getting ready to start mine and am torn with trying to it HC to the original that Jim pictures on his website or add some simple HC type embellishments like Eric is considering. I have thought about an upside down 1/4 moon for a sideplates and the rounded end "banana" patchbox like the original. I thought about a 1/4 moon cheek piece inlay but after studying all the photos of Appalachain School rifles that I could find, I never saw a cheek piece inlay on them. I want to try to stay HC with any additions but there comes the dilema as others have probably often had. Where is the line between a HC rifle and a fantasy rifle? Decisions, decisions. Looking forward to hearing more on the subject as well as your tips.
elkhorne

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:59 PM »
Nose Cap, Patchbox and Toe Plate - Customer Rifle

large gif hosting
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:31:47 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:44 PM »
Norm,
It would be great to ear your tips on pouring a pewter nose cap for the Kibler SMR. elkhorne

This may help:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4669.msg43674#msg43674
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:32:08 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:47 PM »
I just got back from the Alabama Kentucky rifle show. I saw two Kibler rifles with patch boxes and steel nose caps both looked good, very precise work.The best banana patch box was handmade by the builder and very duminitive, it fit the buttstock perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:42:54 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:15:59 AM »
Norm,
It would be great to ear your tips on pouring a pewter nose cap for the Kibler SMR. I am getting ready to start mine and am torn with trying to it HC to the original that Jim pictures on his website or add some simple HC type embellishments like Eric is considering. I have thought about an upside down 1/4 moon for a sideplates and the rounded end "banana" patchbox like the original. I thought about a 1/4 moon cheek piece inlay but after studying all the photos of Appalachain School rifles that I could find, I never saw a cheek piece inlay on them. I want to try to stay HC with any additions but there comes the dilema as others have probably often had. Where is the line between a HC rifle and a fantasy rifle? Decisions, decisions. Looking forward to hearing more on the subject as well as your tips.
elkhorne

Elkhorne,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I will answer your question in case Eric chooses to do one.

I think the tutorial that Tim Crosby linked is excellent.  That is essentially what I did ( I did not mark the wood with pencil, maybe should have), but I made a few mistakes. 

I had previously poured a  non-chevron pewter nose cap on an Ohio rifle, and a major lesson learned was not to make it too thick.  Good advice, but there is such a thing as too thin, especially when the molten pewter has to wind it's way through the chevron pattern.

When I did the chevron one, I don't think I relieved enough wood (in depth) and so the end result was thin pewter.  Not that big a deal, but when it is that thin, it cools too quickly.  Mine tended to cool during the pour, which means it doesn't make it through all the channels.  I had to re-do it a few times, and then fix mistakes with a soldering iron and pewter scraps when I got a result that was close enough. 

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 01:17:49 AM »
The best banana patch box was handmade by the builder and very duminitive, it fit the buttstock perfectly.

Eric,
the patch box that I bought looked to be too long to me.  I'm sure I could have shortened it, but that is partly why I did not use it. 
I'd like to have seen the one you saw at Bama's show. 

Norm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:32:30 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 01:26:21 AM »
  Tim thanks for the reminder on the nose cap. I used it awhile ago...first attempt not so good ..second yes...An yes it runs everywhere you don't want it...Thanks again...Mike

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 05:43:26 AM »
Google Tennessee Rifles- Robin Hale.   Paper prepared on Tenn. rifles with several photos. You will most likely learn some things about them.  (history locations ) I did, and this may help on ideas on how to individualize your rifle. Side plate,patch box nose caps ect.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 06:03:04 AM »
A box is a nice choice as is a toe plate.  Nose caps can be tricky.  Another historically correct option is a silver name plate in the barrel.

Jim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:11 PM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I will answer your question in case Eric chooses to do one.

I think the tutorial that Tim Crosby linked is excellent.  That is essentially what I did ( I did not mark the wood with pencil, maybe should have), but I made a few mistakes. 

I had previously poured a  non-chevron pewter nose cap on an Ohio rifle, and a major lesson learned was not to make it too thick.  Good advice, but there is such a thing as too thin, especially when the molten pewter has to wind it's way through the chevron pattern.

When I did the chevron one, I don't think I relieved enough wood (in depth) and so the end result was thin pewter.  Not that big a deal, but when it is that thin, it cools too quickly.  Mine tended to cool during the pour, which means it doesn't make it through all the channels.  I had to re-do it a few times, and then fix mistakes with a soldering iron and pewter scraps when I got a result that was close enough. 

Norm

The pencil lead/graphite will make the pewter flow better. It also can be used as a release agent when pouring pewter, as in an extension on a pipe hawk handle.
 You can also drill a couple small holes through the chevron/cap channels, similar to Ken's but all the way through, then counter sink them on the inside just a bit. The cap will not go anywhere with them. I think it makes them easier to file/shape but that's probably just me.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:48:55 PM by Tim Crosby »

Mikecooper

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »
Kingsburyarms,   that's a really nice looking finish.  Do you mind saying what you put on the wood?  What kind of stain and clear coat? 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:33:09 PM by Mikecooper »

Hemo

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
For something a little different and unusual in an SMR patchbox, here's one in an octagon shape. I've handled this rifle previously, and own a bench copy of the rifle made by Al Comer of Missouri in the 1970's.

http://www.icollector.com/Beautiful-flintlock-Kentucky-full-stock-rifle-38-caliber-46-5-octagon-barrel-signed-P-Wilson_i24744221

Gregg

Turtle

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:56 AM »
 I use muffler cement to seal in pewter when pouring nose caps and forends on half stocks. My cherry Kibler kit has real hard brittle wood, so I'm going to be conservative with mods. A special forestock end shape at the muzzle, a toeplate with a "V" at the front, and 2 incised lines in the flat on the cheekpiece.

Online Martin S.

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »
Kingsburyarms,   that's a really nice looking finish.  Do you mind saying what you put on the wood?  What kind of stain and clear coat? 

Also, where did you get your nose cap?  I'd like to buy one like it.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 06:11:01 PM »
Hi Martin - I made the nose cap out of steel sheet, as it has the groove for the ramrod...

The finish is Jim Kiblers Iron Nitrate

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/finishing-supplies/products/iron-nitrate-gun-stock-stain

And sanded back Then added two coats of 50% thinned Laurel Mountain Honey Maple stain then 6 hand rubbed coats of Min-wax Antique Oil finish.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:34:00 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Mikecooper

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »
Thanks,  that honey maple combined with aqua fortis is a good look!

Turtle

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »
 Speaking about my excellent Kibler kit, I'm stuck-don't have urge to work on it. I have never built such a finished kit and it just isn't the same as doing more work myself. I'm sure this will pass and I'm looking foreword to having the finished gun, but not so much joy as usual in the building process.

Online Martin S.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 11:36:45 PM »
Thanks for the information.