Author Topic: Good Choice?  (Read 11018 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Good Choice?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
I'm 6'1" and 240 pounds. I have a 35" sleeve, normal 17" neck, etc, fairly big guy and yet I prefer 13 1/2" pull, same as Taylor, but can shoot a variety of lengths of pull quite well, whether 12 1/2" to 14 1/2", same as Taylor, - maybe even more, like 'ol Sam C's. Hawkens- what - 17"?? that Taylor has for sale for Sam.

I might not like it, but I can shoot it. One merely moves the shoulder forward for shorter pulls, and hangs it back for longer ones & places the face where it has to be.  If a person NEEDS/MUST have a certain length of pull I maintain they need to practice more & become a better shot, not that ANY of us are EVER through practicing.

I appreciate you saying this, OldMtn.Man, "Yeah, that LOP would have my thumb up my nose. Jim's kit is 13 3/4" and that should be good for me. Even 14" works, but it's close enough as is. Gives me some room for extra clothing."  shows you know how to shoot.

My daughter's rifle has a 12 1/2" pull. Fine for her, but for me, I prefer longer, however a slip-on pad does just that - 1" long and it's perfect.  $#*! of a wolf rifle.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
I have a gun on that pattern . Excellent choice

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »
I'm 6'1" and 240 pounds. I have a 35" sleeve, normal 17" neck, etc, fairly big guy and yet I prefer 13 1/2" pull, same as Taylor, but can shoot a variety of lengths of pull quite well, whether 12 1/2" to 14 1/2", same as Taylor, - maybe even more, like 'ol Sam C's. Hawkens- what - 17"?? that Taylor has for sale for Sam.

I might not like it, but I can shoot it. One merely moves the shoulder forward for shorter pulls, and hangs it back for longer ones & places the face where it has to be.  If a person NEEDS/MUST have a certain length of pull I maintain they need to practice more & become a better shot, not that ANY of us are EVER through practicing.

I appreciate you saying this, OldMtn.Man, "Yeah, that LOP would have my thumb up my nose. Jim's kit is 13 3/4" and that should be good for me. Even 14" works, but it's close enough as is. Gives me some room for extra clothing."  shows you know how to shoot.

My daughter's rifle has a 12 1/2" pull. Fine for her, but for me, I prefer longer, however a slip-on pad does just that - 1" long and it's perfect.  $#*! of a wolf rifle.

I can shoot any LOP too if I have too. I prefer to use what fits me. As i've mentioned in the past I made a living shooting trap in the 70's. I was measured by a pro and had a custom stock made just for me. I've shot 10's of thousand 12 gauge trap rounds. It was my full time job. In trap shooting you don't adjust to the gun. You make the gun fit you. So, I know exactly what measurements I need in a gun. I have really long arms. I'm 6'2", but have arms that belong on a guy 6'5". So, my natural LOP is pretty long. I adjust for most guns, but one that was made for me would have the proper LOP.

Jim's kit can be had without the butt plate carved out in case you want it longer. I'd probably go that way. Hunting is different than trap shooting. We hunt in cold weather and wear a bunch of clothing. That requires a shorter LOP, but we also shoot in warm weather and that requires a longer LOP. So, what I do is use a shorter LOP for winter and wear a shoulder pad in summer. The trap gun was never a problem, because we didn't shoot in winter.

My natural LOP is 14 9/16".

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 06:28:32 PM »
Old times,
That Haines kit with a .54, C wt. barrel is the nicest handling gun I've owned.
Chambers kits are far superior to any other kit in its style.
It will make a nice, architecturally correct rifle.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 06:29:39 PM »
I can't hear that enough. Thanks.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
   Daryl I agree that a good shooter can work with any lop an get good results.
  But over the year's one thing that I learned the better a gun fits you. The better you shoot it.we
  All my guns fit me like a glove. When I pull it up the bead or sights are right there. I don't have to look for them.
  Shooting running rabbit's or deer in the brambles with a rifle makes a big difference. If the gun fits you well....jmho

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 08:36:00 PM »
I have a couple of Haines both C and B profile barrels. I agree that the C profile in .54 is the best handling rifle I've ever owned. But the OP has stated he wants a .50 cal. And a .50 in the C profile barrel  @ 4.7 pounds may be much heavier than what he's wanting. I know it would be too heavy for me. I think he should consider a .50 in the B profile at 3.7 pounds.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »
How much does the .54 weigh? I've always used a .54 but hunting for elk and bear. I thought the .50 would be plenty for deer, but if there's a big difference in weight i'll go with a .54. I have all the shooting and cleaning supplies for a .54, so i'd save some money too.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »
Rice Barrel's has a chart on their barrel spec page and it shows 4.8 lbs for a 38 inch C profile and 4.3 lbs for a 38 inch C profile 50 cal.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 09:50:45 PM »
That's about 8oz. I guess that would be enough to feel considering the length of the barrel.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:43 AM »
Rice's barrel weight chart is kinda goofy.  When it shows 4.8 lbs. that is actually 4 lbs 8 oz.  So the difference is 5 oz. not 8.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:50 AM »
I have to say, Daryl, that I've shot guns with lop(s) all over the board.  The only time it was ever near impossible for me to shoot a rifle was with scopes; couldn't get my head close enough to see through some of the dang things.  Iron sights are infinitely more forgiving.  13" is very good for me and I can go up or down a little and still handle it well.  My current favorite is 12.5 lop and it works splendidly when bulked up for cold hunting.

I'm only 5'4" and you outweigh me by 100 pounds; I find it interesting you can handle the shorter lop.  Goes to show just how adaptable one can be with these old weapons.   
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 04:30:38 AM »
I know how Daryl has to mount that 12.5" LOP and it's not close to natural or comfortable. Why make that compromise. It's not hard to get a gun to fit right.

We haven't even talked about comb height and cast off. Just as important as LOP. As is getting the whole butt plate to be in the shoulder. Everything should just fall into place with perfect sight alignment.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Here is a barrel weight chart. At 3.13 lbs. I would go with the B weight .50 caliber. That should make a fine, lightweight rifle. In fact I'm seriously considering buildlng another one with this barrel for myself.
I have a .40 cal, with the B profile 38" barrel, it weighs nearly the same as a C profile in .50 weighs. I also have shoulder problems in my support arm. The weight of this rifle is now too much to do any amount of offhand shooting.
Lefthand B profile Issac Haines stocks and kits are offered by a few manufacturers, TOW, Sitting Fox, and if you ask Barbie she can get you one also.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:51:31 PM by Darkhorse »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »
I can see the B weight .50 would be nice and light. Since the kit is .50 or.54 i'm thinking it's setup for the C weight barrels. I don't know if Jim would make a kit for the B weight barrel? He does offer the .40 and .45 as an option, but that could still be the C weight barrel. A .54 C weight is between the .40 and .45 B weight, so maybe it won't be so bad.

I hate to pester him now. I'll wait until I have the money saved up.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:52 PM »
That C weight 50 cal might weigh a little more but being swamped you wont feel that much difference because of the balance point. If you want the gun for any kind of match shooting the 50 will hold just a tad better than a real light weight gun. IMHO

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 10:38:20 PM »
Just casual BP shoots, postal shoots, and hunting. Mostly solo woods walks and hunting.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 04:41:40 AM »
Pete,
To me, the 38 " C weight .54 seems the best bet. Lighter than a .50 cal in C weight.
The C's have a better balance I think and with a bigger hole down the barrel your losing some weight.
That one I made for my son is a 38" C weight in .54.

Offline Berksrifle

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 06:24:11 AM »
Pete,
 I am building a Haines kit with a .50 cal. B weight barrel 38 inches long. I used my fish scale to weight it. Scale says 6.5 lbs.

I also built a Pa. Mountain Rifle from Cabin Creek Muzzleloading. This is a Schimmel style plain rifle. This is .54 C weight 38 inch barrel. I have the weight of this one at 7.0 lbs.

I did not shoot the Haines rifle yet, but it is plenty light.

The way the Pa. Mountain rifle holds, shoots, and it's accuracy are excellent.

I am in your boat. I am 71 and needed lighter rifles.

Ken

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »
Barbie Chambers told me they don't advertise a LH B weight kit but they can provide one if asked.

Offline horsetrader

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
Just finished up a left hand Haines rifle for a friend of mine who is 83. He bought the kit from Track of the Wolf. 50 cal. 38" Rice B weight barrel with Siler lock. Nice stock. Overall a very nice kit. Handles very well.Will post some pictures if I can figure out how to.
Ed Radzinski

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »
All good info. Thanks, guys.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2018, 09:13:44 PM »
Taylor's Virginia .50 from Chambers is a delightful rifle to shoot in matches and would also make a good hunter. It's a "C" weight.

It's a bit heavier than some like, but feels perfect to us.  Looks like 5# 12 oz. to me on the chart for the barrel.

Yes - really short, or really long stocks are not comfortable to shoot, but it can be done.  It is not something you would choose, but

small differences as in 1/2" or so, can usually be ignored.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:18:22 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2018, 11:28:07 PM »
Yes, a 1/2" is not a big deal. You just need to think about it as you shoulder it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 04:42:45 AM »
Exactly, after a few shots, it comes perfectly to the shoulder - automatically.
Daryl