Author Topic: Silver Overlay  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
Silver Overlay
« on: January 14, 2018, 12:14:20 AM »
I've wondered for a while about how some of the silver "medallions" were applied to patchboxes (as seen on many House guns), accents on triggergaurds and thimbles, etc. I understand the process of silver inlay, as in signature plates on barrels, that's been pretty well covered on ALR. Mike Brooks recent thread about a Rowan County rifle he's building touched on the subject (Can't wait to see the finished piece,BTW). He says he files a recess and solders in silver, but that there other ways. A forum search didn't turn up many details.Can anyone elaborate in depth on these techniques?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Silver Overlay
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:32:40 AM »
Rivet and solder or just solder.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:53 AM »
Two ways.... the overlay can be applied to the existing surface, as Mike describes, by cutting out the silver, bending it to fit the contour of the surface you are attaching it to and solder or rivet (or both) the overlay in place. If you want an inlay rather than an overlay, you can saw out a hole in the basic part and then saw out a piece of silver that exactly fits in the hole. The inlay is then soldered in place. Sometimes you might want the additional contour that the overlay method provides (like relief carving) and sometimes you want the surfaces to remain flush, so the inlay method may suit better.

I will post some photos as soon as I return home.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:08:42 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »
Dave,
If you are going to do an overlay like you did on the Chambers rifle you showed us a while back, what thickness of overlay material do you need to use. I would think it would be quite thin. For example, if you have a patchbox made of forty thousands brass, what gauge/thickness of sterling silver would you buy to solder on? Would there be another type silver that would be better than sterling? I am planning a NC rifle that if I go brass, will have an eagle patchbox with a silver eagle on the finial. If I go German silver, I am thinking of doing a brass eagle on the finial. It seems the thickness of the overlay material needs to be very thin so the rise from the original thickness is not noticeable. Thanks.
elkhorne

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 02:58:32 AM »
elkhorne, If you are going to be building one of the Salem guns, you may want to get in touch with Blake Stevenson at Old Salem's (North Carolina) Vogler gun shop.  He has done many of those patchboxes with the silver finials, and may have some helpful advice.  He's a great guy, very generous, and quite the teacher. 
God Bless,   Marc

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
Elkhorne,

This is the patchbox on the copy of Jim Chambers rifle I built.  Is this what you are referring to ?  If so, the sterling silver flowers are not on top of the brass (overlay) in this case but are an inlay.  The brass is ~0.040" thick.  The silver inlays are the same thickness.  I cut the flowers out of sheet silver and then cut out their outline in the brass with a jeweler's saw.  From the back side, I silver soldered the flowers in place.  The patch box finial and side plates were then bent to the contour of the stock, inletted, lightly filed to make them flush with the stock surface, and sanded smooth.  I took the parts off the stock to engrave them.  The solder joints between the silver flowers and the brass are outlined with the graver which cleans them up.

You could just as easily place the silver on top of the brass and then contour the flowers with a graver to make them stand out in relief.  In fact, it might look even better.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:57:30 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:06:29 AM »
Dave,
Thanks very much. You are spot on and that was the rifle I was referring to. I had never thought of the silver inlay idea soldered to the brass. I was thinking of a silver eagle for a NC style patchbox. What thickness of silver would you recommend if I overlaid it on the brass like you mentioned? I have this rifle l got partially built and with a nice job on a German silver buttplate. Thinking of finishing the rifle with either a brass patchbox or a GS one to match the other hardware. Fun building when you step outside the normal box! Thanks.
elkhorne

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »
Elkhorne,

This is the patchbox on the copy of Jim Chambers rifle I built.

You could just as easily place the silver on top of the brass and then contour the flowers with a graver to make them stand out in relief.  In fact, it might look even better.

Hope this helps

It hurts my head to think something might look better or be an improvement on that patchbox.
Andover, Vermont

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
Rich,

That's what I thought when I saw a picture of Jim Chambers rifle and wanted to copy it.  The design is a testament to Jim's skill and excellent eye for detail.  I just shamlessly plagiarized it.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780