Author Topic: lock screws filed flush.  (Read 7290 times)

Offline alex e.

lock screws filed flush.
« on: May 10, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
I have noticed this on quite a few originals that i have seen & handled.I dont know if this was done originally or later in the firearms life.
But it seems the bridle/ sear screws have been filed flush with the lock plate.Does anyone do this on new guns? I admit to me that it looks cleaner,any advantages or not? Thoughts please..

Alex E.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:36:04 PM by alexsnr »
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: lock screws filed flush.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
The proper way to finish lock screws is rounded and slightly extended past the lock surface. Lok at the ones in this photo. 
   http://jwh-flintlocks.net/lh-french-lock.jpg
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Greg Field

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
Mr. Huddleston:

In your opinion, are frizzen-spring rollers, as shown on the lock in your photo, worth the hassle of making?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 11:17:33 PM »
Mr. Huddleston:

In your opinion, are frizzen-spring rollers, as shown on the lock in your photo, worth the hassle of making?

Not Jerry but...
Yes
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:26:38 AM »
...not Jerry either, but absolutely!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:37:43 AM »
Not Jerry either,  yes without  q1uestion!!!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:53:18 AM »
  Yep. I concure.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Greg Field

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 06:26:50 AM »
Thank-you, all.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »
Great job of engraving, even if it didn't have a roller on the frizzen spring!
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
You can buy a Siler Lock from R.E.Davis with a roller on the frizzen..............Don

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:03:26 AM »
What do you see as the advantage of the roller frizzen?  If they are significantly better perhaps we need Larry Pletcher to do some photo testing with his high speed camera for comparizon against those already tested? 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:03 AM »
I believe that a flintlock's frizzen should snap up and out of the way under the tension of the frizzen spring once the flint has finished with its business on the face.  That is generally about 3/8" off the pan.  When a flint gets worn down - and been knapped a few times on the trail, I've found that a frizzen with a common spring, sometimes does not rotate.  I have not noticed this fault when the spring is roller'd.  I will agree that a good lock with a flint that nearly touches the frizzen in the half cock position, will strike high on the frizzen's face, and kick it out of the way, providing good ignition.  My perception, and that may be all it is, is that the roller'd frizzen provides fasted action and therefore ignition too.
Jerry you may have a valid point, and Larry's testing of two locks, let's say Silers,  otherwise equal, would be interesting.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »
What do you see as the advantage of the roller frizzen?  If they are significantly better perhaps we need Larry Pletcher to do some photo testing with his high speed camera for comparizon against those already tested? 

If I recall correctly, Larry Pletcher did this test a long time ago and published the results in Muzzle Blasts.  I do not remember when but I remember being surprised that the large Siler (or at least a lock without a roller frizzen) was the fastest.  Since I do not have my old MB anymore, I can not confirm this but I know there are those out there who can.

Bruce

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »
When you cut off the ends of the screws flat, you get a little razor edge where the thread runs out.  It tends to break off, plus, it will cut the $#@* out of you every time you take out the screw.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."