Author Topic: Shot pouch question  (Read 948 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Shot pouch question
« on: February 23, 2020, 04:17:07 AM »
I want to make a shot pouch for the Fowler in the works.  If I want to use a turned piece permanently affixed to the leather,  how do you permanently affix the spout?  From pictures,  it looks like a grove in the spout with thread around the leather clinching it.  I’m sure there’s more to it.

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Shot pouch question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
Mike, I’ve seen em thread or wire wrapped, as well as tacked with very small iron nails. Mine was a good tight fit, and the leather was thick, so I didn’t wrap mine (it would’ve been only for looks).  I turned my spout out of maple, stained it with aquafortis, and glued it in with Titebond II.

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »
Thanks Greg.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 07:08:15 PM »
Nice job Greg!

Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »
 Thought it would be easier to show than just write it out. This is a scrap piece of Deer skin and an unfinished tip. No glue is used but if you wanted to. Take your time wrapping so the threads are right next to each other and it will come out very neat. Not like mine, functional but not pretty.

Tim

On the part that goes in the leather file a couple grooves. The cord will pull the leather down into them so it won't slide off. 

Slide your pouch on, it should be tight. I does not natter if it is turned inside out or left as sewn.

Take a piece of cord and make a loop at one end, start with about 3' just to make sure.

Lay the loop across both pieces as shown.

Start wrapping from the Right, you can leave a little leather showing or cover the lip up. Wrap it tightly trying not to leave any spaces between wraps.

When you get to the end/stopping point thread the tag through the loop.

Hold both ends and pull evenly, pliers work well. Pull until the loop disappears under the wraps a bit.

Trim the ends close and it should look like this.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:25:20 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 09:10:33 PM »
Thanks Tim.  Great tutorial. I think I got it.