Author Topic: Cleaning a black powder gun.  (Read 6455 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Cleaning a black powder gun.
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:54 AM »
As you say Daryl, Cold water is best to cut fouling.  Works better than warm or hot, as these go greasy somehow.

I was told exactly the same way when I started shooting these guns about 1970, (Cold water) but we had "Young's .303" oil back then, and used that.
Very distinctive smell!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 09:28:03 AM »
Depends on how fast I need to get done... 10-30 minutes depending on my urgency to move on to something else.

I use tap water. Not hot. Not cold. Just a comfortable tepid temperature. I do a thorough job cleaning but I don't get psychotically meticulous about it.

Final rust prevention is a patch with either CLP or Outer's  gun oil, which gets swabbed out with an alcohol patch prior to the next shooting session.

Mike

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 04:18:32 PM »
I use a method similar to Robby. One thing I do that hasn't been mentioned is I use compressed air to blow out the barrel and lock after the water and wd40. It sure helps to dry things. I generally check the bore the next day just to make sure. I had one gun that was left bright for 4 years before I browned the parts. It never did rust on it's own.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Turtle

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
 I don't use the fluid film after Lehigh valley if i'm going home that day or shooting again soon. because it has alcohol, a degreasing isn't necessary before shooting.  I'm surprised how well it protects from rust in the short term.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 05:49:25 PM »
I notice one of those that responded to this tread uses hydrogen peroxide in his cleaning regimen. I must say I have seem more breechplug damage from this practice than I have from leaving the gun dirty. The introduction of oxygen to the already corrosive foulings can be disastrous.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »
I get that WD-40 works good for you guys. I just can't bring myself to use it. I like to use methods more traditional. I'll use Flax Tow most of the time too. I know my using an electric burner to dry out the water isn't very traditional, but i'm not living in a tent and using a campfire for the drying. I do it that way when staying in the mountains for a few days. The important part is using heat to dry. Not how I get the heat. There's no way I can justify to myself if I use WD-40.

I am compromising when I use Ballistol. I believe it goes back to 1910 which isn't far enough. I'm not really re-enacting to an early era for eveything. I don't dress like they did. I dress more like I did in the 50's. RED and black plaid wool. You could say i'm a hunter from the 1950 era who uses a traditional gun and shooting and cleaning methods to match. Black hand has me thinking about the loading block and i'm going to stop using them. Especially, when I get the Isaac Haines. I'll be cutting at the muzzle with that gun. I wish I could eliminate the short starter, but I don't know how with a tight patch.

Maybe i'll work into the clothing too when I get the Isaac gun. I can't ride a mule/horse, but I did give away the top and doors on my Jeep for a more primitive form of transportation. Afterall, a mule doesn't have a top. :)

Sorry, I got way off topic.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 12:49:51 AM »
Years ago I bought a 2-speed hair dryer for $2.  It's like new and when I need to dry a lock or bore, it works like a charm.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:05 AM »
Blasphemy!

Offline elk killer

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 01:49:07 AM »
Remove the flintlock, plug touch hole with a tooth pick
Luke warm water in the bore, use old tooth brush for the lock,
dump water out of the barrel, run a few patches in it, until they
come out clean, use 3 in 1 oil for barrel and lock
10 to 15 minutes tops
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 05:11:33 AM »
I put a wooden tooth pick in the touch hole.....then pour hot water with a couple drops of dish washing soap in it...put a patch on the jag and insert...then remove tooth pick and hammer that rod down the barrel....that water comes spraying out of the touch hole....then repeat . Then I use windshield washer solvent on patches ,until clean...then run an oil patch..then a clean patch..all done. Then just hot water and tooth brush to clean lock..inside and out.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »
I shoot it every day.  No cleaning ever required. Just lying.  But if a guy could shoot it every day one could go a long time without cleaning, especially in the winter.  When I return from a match or the range I remove the lock and scrub in with a brush under the hot water in a sink in the garage.  Lay it in the sun to dry. I plug the bore with a tooth pick if I'm cleaning a flintlock and pour some lukewarm water down the bore.  I pull the toothpick with a jagged rod ready and force the warm water at high pressure out the touchhole.  I might some Le-high and swab the bore some more and reflush.  I dry it out as good as possible and spray WD40 down the bore and flush out the remaining moisture.  I then oil the bore with Break-free or synthetic motor oil and wipe down the outside.  Oil the lock and replace.  If i was timing this and was in a race I'd say 10 minutes but it usually takes me about 20 or so.

Bob

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
I'm close to shooting every day when it warms up. From spring to fall I shoot about 5 days a week. Sometimes every day of the week, but 5 days is a better average.

Fly fish in the morning. Hike in mountains with the pooch after lunch. Shoot late afternoon or evening.

Offline RonC

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 05:52:53 PM »
Like Standing Bear, I start my cleaning at the range by plugging the flash hole with a toothpick and filling the barrel with water spiked with a few drops of dishwashing detergent. I let the water sit while gathering my equipment, allow some to discharge from the flash hole and the rest out the front of the barrel. Usually, I do that soaking a second time. Then I swab with cleaning patches until they come out clean. A spray of the bore with WD40 finishes the process until I get home.
At home, I do a second soaking with water and detergent and swab with a patch until it comes out clean. There always is a residual fouling when I get home. I also take out and clean the lock at home.
I complete the cleaning with a rust preventative like Barricade or EeZox.
Ron
Ron