Author Topic: Butt stock carving "done"  (Read 7351 times)

Offline Justin

Butt stock carving "done"
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
Since I was sharing my drawings in another post, I figured I'd follow up and share the results post-cutting wood...

Last night I spent about 5-6 hours working on this. Too long -- should have taken a break and finished some of the finer details today but I wanted to complete it.

The end of the cheek piece needs a little work yet. I actually had an incised line carved there that I didn't like (after I cut it in, of course) so I cleaned it up by scooping it out more. Just where that scooped sweep meets the top of the cheek piece is where I know I need to clean up a bit. That area is a little tough because now that I have my moulding in place, it will chip easily.

I'm feeling pretty good about it though. Took my time and cut all the edges with my V tool with just my hands (no chasing hammer) since I could feel the curvature of those C scrolls better that way. It's pretty shallow cut -- 1/32 at most so here's to hoping my stain and finish doesn't hide it all ;D

Mike, be nice :P

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Butt stock carving "done"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
Looks good to me, I could never get results anywhere near that pushing a v tool by hand.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
Well done.

Hemo

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
Very nice job! Were you using a palm-type V-tool or a long one? I've used a very sharp palm-type V-tool and have had good results--I agree the sensory control of cutting those curves just by hand may be greater than what you can achieve with a mallet, at least in my experience. You need a really razor sharp tool, though.
Looking good so far!

Gregg

Offline Justin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »
Very nice job! Were you using a palm-type V-tool or a long one? I've used a very sharp palm-type V-tool and have had good results--I agree the sensory control of cutting those curves just by hand may be greater than what you can achieve with a mallet, at least in my experience. You need a really razor sharp tool, though.
Looking good so far!

Gregg

Thanks guys.

I use a Pfeil #16 / 3mm V-Parting Tool. It has a full length handle. I basically hold the metal shaft with one hand and then use my other hand to support it with as much contact as possible between my left hand and the stock. It worked out well for this part of the stock because I had so much surface area to work with and support my hands. However, on the more narrow pieces like the forestock and tang area, I used a small chasing hammer.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/pfeil-swiss-made-16-sweep-v-parting-tool-3-mm-full-size?via=573621f469702d06760016cd%2C5763288b69702d20ec000b2e%2C5764107a69702d3ae3000dea

ltdann

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 07:30:25 PM »
I'm impressed.  My practice carvings still look like a rabid beaver went after it.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:02:25 PM »
  Justin well done..I'm in the chain saw gang..itdans David beaver group...funny I can draw no problem...cut...major...thanks for showing...

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
Like the other have said -- VERY NICE and a GREAT JOB - keep it up and you will end up with a fine family heirloom 8).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline KC

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »
Excellent work, all that practice really paid off.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
You've done a credible job of the raised carving.  You have captured the essence of Haines famous "C" scrolls.  there are some elements of your carving that I would have attempted to do differently though.
The width of your bottom incised buttstock line is a little wider starting at the buttplate than I would have preferred.  But it is not 'wrong', and nicely cut.
The curve of the rear end of the cheek piece is 'straightish' where a more curved line would have added to the carving.
My compliments on using the parting tool to cut your base lines - by hand!  I too like that method, but I use a Dembart chequering ":V" tool for this so everything is tight and close.  And my second hand acts as a brake to control slips.  You could amplify your carving now by punching in along the outside edges of the carving.  Only 1/16" deep punching will make the carving 'pop' without cutting it any deeper.  It will also give you an opportunity to make curves a little neater, if you run into one that has an elbow.  Overall, very nice.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
Justin, Nice Job!! Really good for a first try especially. Nate

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
A nice job, one to be proud of.

NWSmoothie

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 03:00:13 AM »
Beautiful job! I can only wish I could do that. ;)

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 03:50:08 AM »
Looks fine to this ole redneck ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Mikecooper

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 05:20:45 AM »
Looks really good!   

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 05:33:07 AM »
Very neat work Justin!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:52 PM »
Looking good. Keep up the good work.  Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »
Looks very nice! Next time don't rush to get done. When you get tired or impatient, is when gaffs happen. You can always come back to it tomorrow, in fact, next day you will usually see some errors, and trim or touch them up anyway.
Tom C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
My compliments on using the parting tool to cut your base lines - by hand!  I too like that method, but I use a Dembart chequering ":V" tool for this so everything is tight and close.  And my second hand acts as a brake to control slips.  You could amplify your carving now by punching in along the outside edges of the carving.  Only 1/16" deep punching will make the carving 'pop' without cutting it any deeper.  It will also give you an opportunity to make curves a little neater, if you run into one that has an elbow.  Overall, very nice.

Taylor, could you amplify on what you refer to as “punching in”?
Andover, Vermont

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
Sure Rich.  I use a parting tool too to outline carving, and when I'm happy with it, having reduced the ground in relief carving, the outline is generally a little 'soft' and undefined.  So I use a very small polished chisel to cut straight down around the outside of the carving.  I could probably eliminate the veiner and just go straight to the punching chisel but that's how I go about it.  The chisel is alony about 3/32" wide, is lens shaped and thin, with a rounded bottom cutting edge.  It follows tight curves and straight line, though I do use small gouges for some of that job.  With this tool, carving that is very low will really look a lot 'louder'.  I got the idea here at ALR!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:09:37 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 06:29:13 AM »
Justin..., that’s a commendable job, but have to agree with Taylor in regards to some kind of “outline”.  You’re carving is very shallow, and I fear you’ll loose a lot of detail once finished.  Stabbing with a small stabbing tool around all the designs is very benificial.  Another thing that can be done is to “outline” the designs by going over them again with the “V” gouge, going deeper this time.  I stab all my carving, then come back and cut in a “V” with a “V” gouge, or use a double bevel skew to cut the “V”.  Either way, stabbing all the way around, or creating a “V” will greatly enhance your carving.  The attached photo is of recent carving I did which isn’t any higher than what you have, it’s just been “outlined”.

Ed

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:31:42 AM by Ed Wenger »
Ed Wenger

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 03:02:54 AM »
Don't you just love that you can jump on this forum and get useful advice from some of the best in their field?  Just amazing. 

God Bless,   Marc

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 03:46:27 AM »
Lovely work Ed and a great example of what I was trying to say.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 03:56:20 AM »
Here's another example of Ed's carving....

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 08:36:35 AM »
You've done a credible job of the raised carving.  You have captured the essence of Haines famous "C" scrolls.  there are some elements of your carving that I would have attempted to do differently though.
The width of your bottom incised buttstock line is a little wider starting at the buttplate than I would have preferred.  But it is not 'wrong', and nicely cut.
The curve of the rear end of the cheek piece is 'straightish' where a more curved line would have added to the carving.
Hey Taylor. Do you use a 60 degree, or 90 degree v tool to outline your carving?