Author Topic: Unsigned Flintlock. Slim and Lightweight.  (Read 4159 times)

Offline OldSouthRelics

Unsigned Flintlock. Slim and Lightweight.
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:58:24 AM »
Gentlemen,

I made a recent purchase of an unsigned Flintlock Rifle. I found it to be a very slim, lightweight, and handy rifle overall, so I decided to add it to the collection. The reason I'm posting is because I'd like to know more about the inlays, origin, and features. Please note that it appears to have been "altered" from a double set trigger, to a single trigger.

I think it is of Pennsylvania origin, but I'm honestly not sure. The last three purchases I made turned out to be Pennsylvania, so I think I may just have an affinity for Rifles of that area.

I have a few questions for you more knowledgable members.

What are the designs that are seen on the rifle? Specifically the inlay behind the tang, and on the cheek of the stock.

Is this from Pennsylvania? If so, Region?

What is the reason for the extensions of the top of the buttstock plate? It is very interesting. Perhaps it was thought to aid in accuracy?

And, my final, and most important questions, why do you think that this was switched from a double set trigger, to a single trigger? When do you think this occurred, and for what reason?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Bob

IMG_0452" border="0
IMG_0433" border="0
IMG_0393" border="0
IMG_0422" border="0
IMG_0454" border="0
IMG_0445" border="0
IMG_0449" border="0
IMG_0440" border="0
IMG_0435" border="0
IMG_0424" border="0
IMG_0444" border="0
IMG_0466" border="0
IMG_0407" border="0
IMG_0402" border="0
IMG_0399" border="0
IMG_0430" border="0
IMG_0412" border="0

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Unsigned Flintlock. Slim and Lightweight.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
Hi,
Boy, I may be way off here but I get a feeling this rifle was never originally built as a flintlock.  The flintcock, pan, frizzen, and frizzen spring look odd to me and not original.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »
Yep, that is a British military hammer, the pan, frizzed and spring are poorly designed, homemade parts. This gun should be put back to percussion like it was originally.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
Fortunately that lock plate is from a very commonly used lock. If you get a chance to look through Mac Spencer's locks he might have the matching percussion lock that you could drop Right in.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 04:15:36 PM »
It's definitely western Pennsylvania and likely above Pittsburgh
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
I am all for retaining as much originality as possible, and that appears to be the original lock plate. I would strip off the bastard parts, plug the three extra holes, and find a proper hammer for it.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
Hlbly,  I like your idea better.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »
My guess would be that the double set triggers were gutted because the boogered up lock doesn’t have a fly in it. I would take all the reconversion garbage off, and plug the holes. If you had an old lock like this one, that had a fly in it, then you should try to repair the set triggers.

Hungry Horse

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
I agree with what’s stated above but still think it’s a very stylish rifle in its own way and a nice addition to anyone’s collection.
Andover, Vermont

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
Thank you all!

Dave,

You were exactly right! I had an uncomfortable feeling about it potentially being an alteration, which is a very popular thing to do in these parts. The thing that was getting me was how well the lock fit in the mortise, but I was still woefully uncomfortable with what happened to the triggers to accept it as normal.

This is probably one of the few times I've bought something without doing a tremendous amount of research, it was a now or never opportunity, so I took a chance because I liked the stocks profile and weight, regardless of what was going on around the lock.

Hlbly,

I should have noticed it was a British Military Hammer, I have enough experience to where I could have recognized the shape and styling... When a rifle is mine, I sometimes have trouble looking at objectively, if that makes any sense at all. A closer and more analytical approach would have allowed me to notice the difference in patina between the actual lock, and the false parts. Thank you for your eyes and sharing your knowledge.

Also, I'm the same way regarding originality, so I appreciate your advice on where to begin.

I really like this rifle, so I think I'll try to get it back to the original configuration. I'm just beginning my journey into collecting, so I have yet to start tinkering(of course I've tinkered a bit, but just really basic things)... any recommendations on someone to perform this work around North Carolina?

Thank you Mr. Pierce, I'm glad you agree. I'm starting to buy what I like, even if I know it might have some issues. I understand it might come with some disappointments, but it also comes with the joy of studying and owning a very slender Pennsylvania Rifle, which I can't complain about. At this point, I just hate that the original lock will have some holes in it because I assume somebody wanted to make an extra dollar.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »
As for gun smith work in North Carolina, I would contact John Braxton in Snow Camp.  He is good at this type of metal work.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 02:04:18 AM »
I agree with Mike. John Braxton is as good as any.

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 05:07:49 AM »
Thank you Michael and Hlbly,

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 05:43:56 AM »
You asked about the but plate extension . That was the style of a lot of the 1850's -1860's rifles . thin butts. I agree it was made percussion.
JIM

Offline FALout

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
Nice looking rifle non the less, it's in really good shape.
Bob

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
Nice looking rifle non the less, it's in really good shape.

Thank you Bob, I agree completely. I'm absolutely pleased with it.

JDM,

Thank you sir as per the usual. I really appreciate you taking the time to notice that question hadn't been answered, and answering it for me.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »
As for the set trigger removal....many shooters and hunters prefer a well tuned single trigger over the set. I have both set and single triggers on my rifles and I much prefer the single. In fact I have been considering removal of the set triggers and replacing them with a pinned single. 
The issue could be as simple and uncomplicated as that.  However a part could have broken without a good replacement.....you will be lucky to ever find the real reason.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 01:01:22 AM »
New York rifle