Author Topic: Mendi wheel lock pistol  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Mendi wheel lock pistol
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:07:52 AM »
I have recently come across one of these pistols online.

https://classic.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9426756

Do any of you folks have any experience with one. Is the quality worthwhile? What do you think the lock would be worth?  The barrel looks shot, but I'd like to stick the lock on a fowler.
 Thanks everybody.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:23:58 AM by Justin Urbantas »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Mendi wheel lock pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »
Hi Justin,
I suspect the same lock mechanism was sold under several names during the 1980s.  I have one that was a gift to me long ago and I have still to put it on a gun.  I will get to it fairly soon I hope.  The lock is likely the Lauber design, meaning a design described in a small book on making a wheellock by Lauber and published in the 1970s and 80s. Instead of a simple pin on the primary sear engaging the wheel at full cock, it uses a ball bearing detent. If the gun you mentioned is the same design, which I am almost sure it is, the parts and mechanism are of good quality but it needs to better fitted, adjusted, and heat treated properly. If you have some understanding of how wheellocks work and work over the lock, it functions very well. Generally, they did not work very well right out of the box. I don't know what they are worth but there is a lot of metal in the lock, which must be worth something.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
thanks for the response Dave. I can make parts and adjust things if need be. There is one broken spring, but shouldn't be a hard fix. So far the bidding is at $150, so it might end up at a decent price.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
Justin, just study this lock to understand how it works.

high quality photo upload
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ddoyle

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:50:26 PM »
I think a new Polish made Lauber lock cost 800USD- It took Taylor a month to build his- An indian Repro is north of a grand. But this is america so it is probabley worth 200 dollars ;)

If you need to replace the mainspring plan on making at least two chain links so that it can be fitted.

Now just gotta go find that lock in case it is going to sell too cheap ;D

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:26:12 AM »

Understand how it works? Heck, I don't even know what most of those part are.  haha

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:21 AM »
I hope it's not the wheel lock in the link.  That auction closed on 10/30/2009.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »
I hope it's not the wheel lock in the link.  That auction closed on 10/30/2009.
No it's not the one in the link. It's the same make though.
The one in the link is in better shape though.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:06:40 PM »
Justin,

I believe Dave is right.  I have the book to which he referred and the lock looks like it was made from the plans.  The one Taylor exhibited was made from the parts set sold by The Rifle Shoppe if I remember correctly.  You can go to the TRS web-site and check the prices for both a finished lock as well as the parts set to give you a point of comparison.  I am under the impression that the TRS parts set has been used by a number of folks to successfully make a Germanic wheellock.

The pistol in the picture has a lot of inconsistencies with historic arms.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »

Understand how it works? Heck, I don't even know what most of those part are.  haha

LOL - neither do it, Justin.
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »
Justin,

I believe Dave is right.  I have the book to which he referred and the lock looks like it was made from the plans.  The one Taylor exhibited was made from the parts set sold by The Rifle Shoppe if I remember correctly.  You can go to the TRS web-site and check the prices for both a finished lock as well as the parts set to give you a point of comparison.  I am under the impression that the TRS parts set has been used by a number of folks to successfully make a Germanic wheellock.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Looks like a "Do it myself nervous breakdown kit" to me.
50 years ago I might have tried it but now--NO WAY.

Bob Roller

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
Justin,

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Looks like a "Do it myself nervous breakdown kit" to me.
50 years ago I might have tried it but now--NO WAY.

Bob Roller
Bob I think half of those pieces would end up being thrown across the shop, lost, or both.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43:42 PM »
I understand the confusion and I can solve this with a simple explanation, the two wheels are the culprit - the smooth one for flint, the other that is notched, is for iron pyrites. THERE - simple now.
Daryl

ddoyle

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »
Bob,

you could build a wheelie with out breaking a sweat.

Daryl, I think your picture is missing the pan for a smooth wheel if the smooth wheel is used with the notched pan powder can leak out of the pan, with that design the powder will fall harmlessly in the snow but on version with an enclosed wheel it could be an issue. The valuable part of that photo is the Taylor solution to the pan opening issue- if anyone is going to build one take a close look for Taylor's modification from the published plans. I sure wish there was a photo of the angles ground onto the pan opening arm and tumbler- if there is  a tough part that is it.

The bird head looking part furthest to the right is the small sear that the trigger bears against.  All the parts top left are dog/cock related and mount on the front. Bridle is a bridle.

Wheellocks are great if you got more time then money. If you buy a 100 pieces of pyrite from china 3 of them will produce sparks. Pay more for pyrite with known hardness. The spainards will still sell you a piece.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:33:32 PM by ddoyle »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 01:42:59 AM »
ddoyle, the smooth wheel does not leak powder from the pan. It is a perfect fit in the grooved pan, as-is the notched wheel which was used to cut the hole.
 Both wheels (identical) in profile and have 3 ridges and 2 valleys.
They fit their counterpart ridges and valleys in the pan perfectly, no powder spilling
and instantaneous ignition with the touch on the single set trigger. 

This should show the round-wheel fit. 

Daryl

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
I like the wheel lock, but it is a very complex lock.
Paul Hamler made a wheel lock on scale.
May be it helps to see how he made it and how it works.
Below a link to his site.

https://hamlertools.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Wheellock-Project/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »
Tks Andrie - good link.  This wheel is like Taylors, and from that list of parts.

upload image to website
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
This is just to clarify...I used Lauber's neat book to build this lock.  It did take a month of eight hour days and I made everything, except the ball bearing including springs and screws.  After I had made the wheels, one notched for pyrite and the other smooth for flint, I rough cut the appropriate motches in the pan, then used the hardened serrated wheel to finish cut them.  Both wheels fit the pan notches exactly and no powder escapes.
On original wheellocks, the wheel rotates around 7/8 of a full revolution, I've read./  But opn the Lauber lock, I only get 3/4 of a revolution.  But the action is lightning fast, there is no jar, and ignition is noticably faster than a flintlock.  That pistol has a simple trigger, not a set trigger, though a set trigger would have been appropriate.  What makes trigger pull so light and precise, is the pivot being located above the lock itself, and the action is straight back against a secondary sear.  The trigger simply pushes a small catch out of the way, allowing the primary sear to disengage from the wheel.  It is also very easy to cock.  A remarkable bit of engineering.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

ddoyle

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:09:57 PM »
Taylor/Daryl

Big thanks for clarifying what is required for the flint wheel. I had been wrongly under the impression that the flint wheel was totally smooth. Now I understand that the flint wheel has grooves around the circumfrence but does not have perpendicular cuts across those grooves.  Amazing how wrong I can be when left to my own devices- Glad some one else figured all this stuff out cause I'd still be throwing rocks at squirrels and digging roots if I did not have examples to copy.

here is a link to the book Taylor used.
http://strzelecka.net/obrazki/Wheellock_Plans.pdf

If you print the pages and crazy glue the parts onto flat stock it is a nice  mindless task to create most of the parts.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:21:57 PM by ddoyle »