Author Topic: Wiley Higgins Rifle/Pistol on display - GA Museum of Art Athens GA until Feb 28  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
For your information the Georgia Museum of Art has a wonderful display of two Willey Higgins guns, a rifle and a pistol. This special display will be at the Georgia Museum of Art through February 28, 2018.

The museum is located Located :  in The University of Georgia, 90 Carlton St, Athens, GA 30602
Hours:
Open to the public Tues, Wed, Fri & Sat, 10-5 pm; Thurs, 10-9 pm;
Sun, 1-5 pm. Closed on Mon.

I happened to notice this special event posted on their website:

Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Phone: (706) 542-4662

Tour at Two: “Artful Instruments: Georgia Gunsmiths and Their Crafts”
2 – 3 pm
Tours
Sam Thomas, curator of the T.R.R. Cobb House and guest curator of the exhibition, will give a special tour.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:47:17 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

Thanks Dennis, Athens GA isn't too far up the road from me and I would love to see the exhibit. Higgins silver work astounds me, he was a master with it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Thanks for posting this, Dennis. Actually, there are eight (8) rifles and two (2) pistols by Wiley G. Higgins in the exhibit.  That is undoubtedly more than have ever been together in one place before, even when Higgins’ gunshop was going full bore. In addition, the ca. 1810 rifle by Richard Allen (Jones County) along with its original bag and banded horn, is on display.   In addition, there are four rifles from the Georgia mountains plus four rifles from the middle of the State on display. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
Also thanks for posting this.  I have to drive to Florida mid-February from Wisconsin.  This gives me a great excuse to bypass Atlanta.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline PPatch

Thanks for posting this, Dennis. Actually, there are eight (8) rifles and two (2) pistols by Wiley G. Higgins in the exhibit.  That is undoubtedly more than have ever been together in one place before, even when Higgins’ gunshop was going full bore. In addition, the ca. 1810 rifle by Richard Allen (Jones County) along with its original bag and banded horn, is on display.   In addition, there are four rifles from the Georgia mountains plus four rifles from the middle of the State on display. 

Is that beautiful Higgins rifle of yours displayed at the show Wayne? I had to look it over several times at the Alabama show, especially the silver work at the breech end, extremely well done.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Dave, all My Georgia pieces are in the exhibit, from mountain rifles to Wiley Higgins.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Hungry Horse

Wayne, I’ve seen pictures of several of Higgins beautiful guns, but would love to see what a Georgia Mountain rifle looks like. These innovative backwoods gunsmiths just fascinate me.

Hungry Horse