Author Topic: Builder George Leonard, Keene, NHBuilder info  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Brokennock

Builder George Leonard, Keene, NHBuilder info
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:50:33 AM »
Looking for any info on a builder from Keene, NH. Builders name is George Leonard, possible middle initial of O.

Small area gun shop has had a half stock smooth bore, full octagon barrel, caplock gun on the wall for the last few years. It's high on the wall so I never looked closer at it. Today I asked about it and looked it over. Overall decent shape, would need a little elbow grease to get it shooting again. The only stamp on the barrel is in two lines one over the other on the upper left barrel flat,
Geo Leonard over Keene, NH.
The lock is marked Moore. No other marks visible.
Store owner seems to think the builder was active in the area about 150 years ago.
Some rust issues around the nipple/drum area. The lock goes to a very positive click at what looks to my eye to be about where half cock should be. The hammer will go further but doesn't click in anywhere. There is a spot about where I would expect full cock where it feels like it want to catch but just a slight feeling of it.
Any info on the builder or thoughts on the lock issue?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline OLUT

Re: Builder George Leonard, Keene, NHBuilder info
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »
Google him; there is interesting info including this attached one ..... also, pull the lock and I bet the full cock notch is either worn or broken off so the sear will not hold

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
There was a brief article about George O. Leonard in Muzzle Blasts July 1948.
He appears to have had an excellent reputation as a maker of all types, especially
target rifles and was considered to be in the same class as Lewis, Brockway, Wesson,
Whitmore, etc. He also had a second shop in Saxton's River, NH.

No dates are given, but says it was during the high period of target shooting in New England
from which I infer 1870s-1880s.

All the best
Paul 

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:56:51 PM »
Thanks gentlemen. I did Google his name and did not come up with that article,,, yet. I haven't bought the gun, still debating, maybe when tax returns roll around.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 06:04:54 AM »
Just to clarify...Saxton River is in Vermont. His father Artemas was a very accomplished Vermont gunsmith...who made some of the finest target rifles of his time...unfortunately he died young. George went across the river into NH and had a prolific career.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
There was a brief article about George O. Leonard in Muzzle Blasts July 1948.
He appears to have had an excellent reputation as a maker of all types, especially
target rifles and was considered to be in the same class as Lewis, Brockway, Wesson,
Whitmore, etc. He also had a second shop in Saxton's River, NH.

No dates are given, but says it was during the high period of target shooting in New England
from which I infer 1870s-1880s.

All the best
Paul

1948??? Is there any chance that article has been scanned and archived online somewhere?

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:23:24 PM »
In the late 1970s I struck up a close friendship with Paul Blakeman, who some on the list may remember.

Paul had a collection of about every Muzzle Blasts for forty years. Each week he would give me 10-15 copies
and I would go thru them and copy every article I could find on gun makers (I was into collecting and history
at that time). I still have four binders full of the articles. Some great reading.

All the best
Paul

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »
In the late 1970s I struck up a close friendship with Paul Blakeman, who some on the list may remember.

Paul had a collection of about every Muzzle Blasts for forty years. Each week he would give me 10-15 copies
and I would go thru them and copy every article I could find on gun makers (I was into collecting and history
at that time). I still have four binders full of the articles. Some great reading.

All the best
Paul

WOW! What a treasure.

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
Yes, it is a treasure chest of information and a window into the early days of our hobby.
Two of the binders contain historical info on gun makers and the other two building tips.

All the best
Paul

Offline Howard

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
Wasn't Paul Blakeman from Kentucky ?   If this is the guy I'm thinking of he always had a box of original parts to sort through. I purchased a Blackhawk War hunting bag & scrimshawed horn & a great rattlesnake charger at Friendship maybe 40 years ago.

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
Yes, Paul lived in Louisville and was one of the best ml shotgun guys around.

He advised me on some of my collecting and I bought two antique shotguns from him; one an English flintlock from the 1820s
and the second a French double barrel flintlock from about 1800.

Paul loved relics and was always telling me "Don't do anything but light cleaning. These dents and cracks are part of their history".

He had a booth at Friendship and I sometimes took him up there. He convinced me to buy all the parts to build a Tennessee rifle
but was long gone when I finally got around to it 25 years later.

A great guy !!

All the best
Paul