Author Topic: Loosing Stuff  (Read 11034 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Loosing Stuff
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »
I had a sure fire way to keep from loosing and or misplacing things. i wrote it down, be patient, i'll find it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline snapper

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »
I have been doing some carpentry work and organizing in my basement.  On a metal shelving unit, I accidentally popped up one of the shelves.  One of the clips that the shelve sits on took off and I assume hit the floor.  I did not worry too much about it.  Figured when I get the floor cleaned up and start to put things away I would find it.   I could not find it anywhere.

When I had to take a shelf off the wall 10 feet away is when I found the dang thing.  I would of never looked there. 

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

gunlock

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 12:09:45 AM »
I have a ritual... every morning before I start working in the shop I sweep the floor VERY thoroughly!! Sure makes it easier to find stuff when it falls on the floor!! Also I have a flashlight that I lay flat on the floor and 'sweep' it back and forth to find parts. Seems to work better than shining the light straight down. Also I have a drawer the entire length of my work bench and when I am working with small parts I open it several inches so any parts fall in the drawer instead of on the floor. I USUALLY remember to open it.....

I am a neat freak, almost anal about keeping a neat and orderly work bench.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 12:15:44 AM »
I too have a ramrod pipe I can’t find! Nor a magazine to an Enfield no1 MkIII that I was re-finishing ... now just where the heck did THAT go to ... ?
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 12:58:33 AM »
I am still searching for the rear trigger out of a Bob Roller double set trigger, that was devoured by my shop floor about six months ago. I suspect that it is in the same location as the fly from a Russ Hamm lock that met the same fate about ten years ago.

Offline wildthing

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 02:18:42 AM »
This might sound really stupid to you, but did you think to look on the rifle? You said you fitted it to the stock,maybe you left it there.    wildthing

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 02:29:34 AM »
 Most of the time my shop is immaculately clean. Because I am constantly sweeping the floor looking for things. Nothing is harder to find than a small piece of gold. I keep a few flies on hand at all times as well as other lock parts. You put that RR pipe someplace where you wouldn't loose it.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 02:52:22 AM »
What's WRONG with you guys! Haven't you learned to have a place for everything and everything in it's place?  8)

dave

That's how I feel, Dave.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 03:43:07 AM »
I did find a single flute countersink I lost 2 years ago. It had fallen through the hole in the base plate of my floor mounted drill press.

Now this is a stretch, I had some heating guys over to work on my heat pump at the same time I lost my pipe. I invited them into my shop to see my flintlock project and the bows I make. I was missing the pipe after they left.

My main heating guy is rock solid, pretty sure he hires and trains ex-cons just out on parole to give them a new chance in life. He had a new guy with him that night, a pretty rough looking guy. The next day he calls me and asked if he had left his fluke in my shop as it turned up missing, his assistant had it but said he put it back in the truck, it wasn't in the truck.

I worked with a bonified clepto once, I knew he was that way and watched him operate. If he came in a room at work he had to steal something even if it was a paper clip. He would look around to see if anyone was watching him and snatch up something and hide it to pick up later.

We had a tool box for everyone to work out of and this guy would constantly carry the tools home with him, someone who had been to his house said he had piles of crescent wrenches there that he had stolen from work. As his supervisor I finally told him the company had a new invisible dye they sprayed on all the tools they issued and were going to peoples houses to look for stolen tools with a special light that would cause this dye to glow. If they found any the person that had them would them was fired instantly.

The company did have the dye but didn't go to peoples houses. This guy believed my ruse and never stole out of the community tool box again. This was a government job, no one at the top would take on a thievery case because it would open a can of worms that might expose themselves as thieves as well, which they were.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:48:49 AM by Eric Krewson »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 03:50:56 AM »
  Only time I have a problem finding stuff in my shop. Is when my wife...little Mrs. Tiddy insists on cleaning it when I'm gone to a show or something.
 Have a Chambers lock I've been looking for over a year...

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 04:47:14 AM »
I spend half my time hiding my stuff and the other half looking for it.
Many years ago I worked as a truck mechanic for a bakery. I had a truck needing a master cylinder for the brakes. None of the local supply houses had one. I really needed this truck on line the next day to have all the routes covered so I set about rebuilding the old master cylinder. All was going good until reassembly and the little spring clip flew away. I cleaned my entire workbench top to bottom, swept out the entire sevice bay with no luck. Sat down to eat lunch and saw the thing resting snugly in my pants cuff.
Recently lost the triggers for the build I was working on. I searched everywhere! I was ready to give up. I had another set of triggers like the one I lost, but I had done a bunch of work on the lost ones to reforge and reshape triggers, tune etc.,. Looked at the rifle hanging on the wall and there were my triggers. I had forgotten about putting them back in the rifle to test the fit of tang bolt!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:49:28 AM by David R. »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

black ed

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 05:35:23 AM »
If you have a 7 year old grand daughter you should know "it's not lost Papa, It's magical"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
Tim,
I just want to know how you got n my shop to get that photo?

There's a path ;D TC

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »
If I could regain all of the time I have spent looking for a tool that I just used, I could probably build several more rifles a year. I am just glad to know that it happens to more than just me. :P
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline kudu

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
Im single and live alone no one hardly ever visits and i know where everything I own is. I also have a large shop and I very rarely loose anything.
About Three years ago I lost a large set of magnets for a antique Tractor magneto. I am almost fully convinced that someone broke into my shop stole them and relocked the Door and is somewhere laughing at me.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 09:46:17 PM »
I tried an experiment once. I dropped 10 1/4" washers in front of the bench.
    8 went under the bench
    1 stayed on the mat
    1 bounced out to the middle of the shop

This means you have an 80% chance of it going under the bench, a 10% chance of losing it somewhere else, and a 10% chance of finding it,

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »
I am known for my messy shop. I have lost things that I never found again. I had an unusual thing happen last week. A gentleman I built a rifle for a while back called me on Thursday. He had been cleaning his rifle last week and lost his sideplate. He said that he thought it was glued in it was so tight so did not try to take it out. After cleaning his lock, he found his sideplate missing. He lives about five hours from me. Luckily I was visiting my daughter about an hour from him on Saturday and he brought me his rifle there to replace the sideplate. Later on that day he called me back and said he had found it about ten feet from where he had been cleaning it on the tailgate of his truck. He came back and got his rifle. That was a four hour drive, but it could have been much longer and I was going to remake the sideplate. Weird things do happen, but this time it all worked out and we were able to visit awhile.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »
The worst one I heard was from my father in law. He was travelling with my wife's two younger brothers in the car when they were younger. Stopped at a McD for coffee. The youngest was asleep in the back seat so they left him in the car, went in for coffee and bathroom break. They didn't notice when they got back in the car that Mike had awakened and followed them in. They had driven for almost an hour when the older brother stretched and looked in the back seat and said "where's Mike?". What made it worse was they weren't sure what exit they had taken off intersatate. They finally found him sitting on the curb at the McD.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline wmrike

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »
Not to make light of an aggravating situation, but there is a packaged explanation for this.

Back in the fifties or sixties, one of the spooky TV shows, maybe Outer Limits but more likely Twilight Zone, had an installment about the Time People.  The premise was that the only reality is what you can see.  Stuff in the other room doesn't exist until you go to that room.  Between the time you decide to go to that other room and the time you arrive there, the time people are frantically creating that other room, laying carpet, moving furniture, hanging pictures the way you think you remember them, that kind of stuff.  Sometimes the time people get it wrong and miss a detail, like the keys you think you left on the table, but which aren't there when you look.

So, it's in no way your fault.  Under the bench does not exist while you are working, only when you look there.  And if the time people neglect to put that thimble, errant fly, or #52 drill, where you can see them, it' not your fault.  Go have a beer while they get there act together.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 04:21:41 AM »
I was joking with Bob last night that I think all locks should come with a spare fly taped to the lock plate.  :-)  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 05:39:07 AM »
Not to make light of an aggravating situation, but there is a packaged explanation for this.

Back in the fifties or sixties, one of the spooky TV shows, maybe Outer Limits but more likely Twilight Zone, had an installment about the Time People.  The premise was that the only reality is what you can see.  Stuff in the other room doesn't exist until you go to that room.  Between the time you decide to go to that other room and the time you arrive there, the time people are frantically creating that other room, laying carpet, moving furniture, hanging pictures the way you think you remember them, that kind of stuff.  Sometimes the time people get it wrong and miss a detail, like the keys you think you left on the table, but which aren't there when you look.

So, it's in no way your fault.  Under the bench does not exist while you are working, only when you look there.  And if the time people neglect to put that thimble, errant fly, or #52 drill, where you can see them, it' not your fault.  Go have a beer while they get there act together.

You've got it WMrike!!  Brilliant!!  It's Not Our Fault!  Love it!
That explains it all.   If you were a pretty girl I'd kiss you.
As it is, I won't.

;) :)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 06:48:44 AM »
About 8 months ago I was putting a Tom Snyder touch hole boring tip to good use and just as I was finishing the last cutting session I broke the bit that threaded into the  boring head. Having lunched the cutter who knows were due to the breach plug being out and my floor covered in shavings. I looked and looked for that little bugger having carefully cleaned the area. fast forward 5 months. I was cleaning our master bed room floor here a while back and here on the floor is that little boring head. It must have gotten lodged in to the tread of my shoe to make it all the way to the other end of the house from the garage.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 05:44:42 PM »
No Dave, just go back and re-read post #43..

Offline 45-110

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 03:05:04 AM »
i am guilty of all the above drama! yesterday forged, filed and fitted my mainspring. this morning went out to polish and heat treat it, had it in my hands once......then it disappeared. spent all day searching the shop, every nook and cranny to no avail. tonight  when the wood stove coals died down, i searched the ashes with a magnet and fished out my spring! lesson here is don't load wood with a part in the finger's.  well at least now the spring is nicely annealed for another go at it in the morning.

best
kw

Offline little joe

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 05:00:52 AM »
PPatch  By my standards well organized.