Author Topic: Loosing Stuff  (Read 11033 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Loosing Stuff
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »
KW, I have anealed parts that way on purpose but never by accident. Glad you found your spring. There is a lot of work in a hand made lock spring, would be awful to loose one.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2018, 03:07:43 AM »
For store-bought, not hand-made, items I just keep on buying more Wigits until all the nooks are filled up & I can actually find a Wigit when I need one. Frustrates Wife.

Oh, and love that matchlock. Years ago made an Italian style with a sear bar, far more reliable than the flint locks on the range. Match locks, in my opinion, are great target guns. First, they are reliable. Given a burning match-cord and black gunpowder one is pretty much assured of an explosion. Somewhere. Also, instilling a little honest terror into the hearts of your competitors may take modify their skills somewhat. To your advantage.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »
For store-bought, not hand-made, items I just keep on buying more Wigits until all the nooks are filled up & I can actually find a Wigit when I need one. Frustrates Wife.

Oh, and love that matchlock. Years ago made an Italian style with a sear bar, far more reliable than the flint locks on the range. Match locks, in my opinion, are great target guns. First, they are reliable. Given a burning match-cord and black gunpowder one is pretty much assured of an explosion. Somewhere. Also, instilling a little honest terror into the hearts of your competitors may take modify their skills somewhat. To your advantage.
JC,
You are very right!  ( the highlighted bit)

One time, I had my matchcord held with hot end inside my hand, to keep it warm.  Not thinking, (Not unusual!)  I picked up an open tin of powder with same hand. It was a flat tin like shoe polish would come in, but a bit bigger.  Talk about getting a flash !  Hand went white and wouldn't straighten out much.
Had some real good Ozzy Aloe Vera, and swabbed it on. Kept doing it, and by night my hand came right, lost no skin. 
Mods, this isn't off topic;
Just mentioning what I Didn't lose for once.

Best regards,
R.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
I have Tuperware containers, around 6" x 10" x 2" that I keep parts for each individual gun. I disassemble locks over the container, and always return parts to it when not needed. Before I started doing this years ago, I lost a lot of parts, flies in particular. I had lost enough of them I should have been ankle deep in them. 
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2018, 02:32:43 AM »
I lost a barrel today. Thankfully my wife found it. I have 3 barrels for one gun. The original .50 rifled, a .54 rifled, and a 20 ga smoothbore. I wanted the 20 ga. Turns out it was in my closet behind my shirts. Never would have found it there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
I lost a barrel today. Thankfully my wife found it. I have 3 barrels for one gun. The original .50 rifled, a .54 rifled, and a 20 ga smoothbore. I wanted the 20 ga. Turns out it was in my closet behind my shirts. Never would have found it there.

It sure is amazing what can be found in a closet behind old shirts especially if there is a woman in the house.. I  am almost certain that a woman invented the closet to hide her husbands treasures from him.
Psalms 144