Author Topic: To brown or not to brown  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: To brown or not to brown
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 08:04:44 PM »
Lookin’  good, Justin!  The streakiness will diminish with more coats. Be careful not to contaminate the surface between coats...I wear brown jersey gloves during the job, and wash them between jobs. Getting and keeping the metal clean is a big part of rust blueing. I generally card with a soft wire wheel brush that I got from Brownells, in my drill press. It gets degreased with acetone between jobs too.

Greg
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:46:23 AM by g.pennell »
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

ltdann

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »
Yep, you got it! ;D  Looks good.  Man,  that's a fancy damp box.  Puts my cardboard box to shame.

My wife made a comment that went something like "You need to build a lot of stuff to make this rifle." with at least one eyeroll included...  ;D

Yeah, well women....what can you do? ;)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:49 AM »
Well,honey at least I won't have to build all this stuff for the next rifle.Whata ya mean next rifle :o

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 11:53:34 PM »
Single Malt, that is some CRISP work.  Just fine.  I like it.  God bless,   Marc

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 12:16:38 AM »
The easiest way to do a boil out for rust blue, without the tanks or distilled water.

First off, if you want a smooth finish, most let the barrel rust too much before boil out. I just get the lightest discoloration, than steam. Usually 5-6 cycles to do it.

Get a pvc tube, and cut to length needed.
Get a pot to boil water in. I had an old cast iron pot, about 8" in diameter.

You should find a flange that the PVC will fit into. This was the most expensive part of the project, around $25 at a plumbing supply shop. I used some 4" pvc since that is what I had laying around. Smaller diameter would be easier to find a flange for. The flange makes it easier to balance the pvc lid on the pot. Flange too big for your pot? Get a piece of wood or metal, cut a hole to allow steam through, and screw the flange to this.

Once this is done, bring the pot of water with the cover on, to a boil. I did this outside, with a propane burner. Once you have things boiling, set the pvc with the barrel hanging inside over your drilled steam vents. I used a piece of scrap metal, with a hole drilled through, and a wire as a hanger.
Leave your top metal have a bit of venting, to allow the steam to easily circulate in the tube.

Steam for 20 minutes, and you are done.

I simply dropped my smaller parts in the boiling water. You could also make some other smaller pvc container to steam separately if you like.
The steaming would only really need to be for around ten minutes. The extra time I used was for the parts that were actually being boiled, as the temperature was below the steam temperature.
I believe steaming would also eliminate any concern about not having distilled water, as I saw no spots or other problems from steaming, and I have hard water here.

I also use the soft stainless steel wheels from Brownell's for rub out, work great.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:19:07 AM by Waksupi »
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Justin

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »
Turned out pretty well I think. I've never char coal blued a barrel but the color reminds me of metal that's been in a fire.