Author Topic: Cherry stock finishing question  (Read 1869 times)

Turtle

Cherry stock finishing question
« on: January 25, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
 If I put on a coat of linseed followed by permylm sealer and finish will the stock continue to get darker? In other words, do these finishes block the sunlight that turns cherry darker-red?
                                                               Thanks

Maineshops

Re: Cherry stock finishing question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:07:50 PM »
I do a lot of work with cherry and many types of finishes. None of which seem to slow the darkening process. I cut and mill the trees so I keep track of their progression. Differant trees darken at differant rates and degrees. Ammonia fuming will give cherry a jump start but I find plane old exposure to sunlight is the best. Dan

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:03:32 PM »
I think you may be painting yourself into a corner. I would be careful using a sealer over linseed oil. You could end up with a sticky wrinkled mess. Sealers are normally applied over stain, not finish.

Hungry Horse

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »
Hi Turtle,
HH is right and you may have a problem unless the linseed oil was thoroughly dry before you applied sealer.  Permalyn is thinned with mineral spirits and so is linseed oil so they should be compatible. However, if the linseed oil is not dry before covering with sealer, it may never dry and remain soft and mushy feeling.  Sealer, which is nothing more than thinned finish, should go on first so it can penetrate the wood as deeply as possible. Your cherry will darken over time. None of those finishes contain UV blockers that can slow that process down.

dave     
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
 Thanks for the input. I have used linseed under permyln twice. Once on an unstained cherry stock and once on a stained maple one. May be i was lucky?--no problems. I like the color linseed gives the wood initially.