Author Topic: Rules on building flint pistols in Canada??  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Rules on building flint pistols in Canada??
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
Do any of you Canadian folks on here build flintlock pistols?  What are the requirements as far as building, registering and selling?  Doesn't seem like there's much info out there on the subject.  Thanks guys

Offline Hudnut

Re: Rules on building flint pistols in Canada??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:53:22 AM »
Classified as a restricted firearm.  You will need to register it.  Shouldn't be a problem. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:57:03 AM »
Laws up here are as odd as laws 'down there"   

Up here, the "receiver" that the barrel screws into, is the only part that is a firearm and registerable.  If this part is antique you are good to go.
So,....My thinking is that with a muzzleloading pistol, the bit the barrel screws into is the breechplug.     I have not tested the water on this, but as long as the "receiver" (or breechplug???) is antique, the work could be completed as an antique restoration.   
I know antique breech -plugs turn up, and Dixie has them.
Is this how it works?  No clue!!
  But technically it Sounds like this is how it should work.

Any ideas chaps?

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
Laws up here are as odd as laws 'down there"   

Up here, the "receiver" that the barrel screws into, is the only part that is a firearm and registerable.  If this part is antique you are good to go.
So,....My thinking is that with a muzzleloading pistol, the bit the barrel screws into is the breechplug.     I have not tested the water on this, but as long as the "receiver" (or breechplug???) is antique, the work could be completed as an antique restoration.   
I know antique breech -plugs turn up, and Dixie has them.
Is this how it works?  No clue!!
  But technically it Sounds like this is how it should work.

Any ideas chaps?
Could you use an antique bolt, or a piece of antique steel to fashion a breechplug, and have it considered an antique?

ddoyle

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:31:01 AM »
Nope.  That is borderline tomfoolery and not cool. If you want an Antique flintlock pistol buy one that is clearly an antique. Being in possesion of something that someone might consider an improperly held restricted weapon could be a real decade or 2 ruiner.
I am guessing that once the one your building is vented you have some period of time to get it registered on your RPAL.
Best thing is to call the folks at the RCMP and ask them directly what is expected of you. Not something you want to leave to internet advice. They are happy to help you stay in compliance.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:34:08 AM by ddoyle »

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
There is nothing in the law or regulations defining what is the receiver for a lock, stock, and barrel muzzleloader.
There have been suggestions that it is the breechplug; other suggestions that it is the breechlug and barrel combination.
I am unaware of any definitive opinion, as in a court precedent.
You could always call 1 800 731 4000 and ask to get patched through to the Specialized Firearms Support Services, and get their opinion.  In writing.  If push comes to shove it will be their testimony that will be accepted as expert by the court.
A modern made flintlock pistol is subject to all the controls applicable to a modern cartridge pistol, when it comes to using it.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 04:26:45 PM »
Hi,
You can make or buy a flintlock pistol without the flash hole drilled, without registering it. The moment you have a flash hole in the gun, it MUST be registered.
There is a company in Nova Scotia who sells several models of flintlock pistols, that are not registered. ( can't remember their name??)
If you buy one of these or make your own and intend to make it shootable( gun word :D), you will have to put a serial number on it, most likely the barrel.
After you will have to bring it to an authorised agent for verification. ( call ahead ) I would not drill the hole until I get the OK
I hope this helps.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline retired fella

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
What constitutes "antique"?  Here, south of the border an automobile is considered "antique" after 25 years and qualifies for historical plates.

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
Here, north of the razor wire, a firearm must have been made prior to 1898 to possibly qualify as an antique.  All pre '98 powder and ball guns are antique.
It isn't that simple, though.  Post '97 touchhole longarms are antique; cap guns aren't.  No post '97 handgun is antique, no matter if match, flint or cap fired.  There are other factors, many pre-1898 guns are not considered to be antique.  For example, no centerfire repeating rifle is antique.  With pre '98 single shot centerfire rifles, antique if over 8.3mm bore, modern if under.  No .22 rimfire firearm is antique.  For breechloading shotguns, antique status is determined by gauge.  10-12-16-20-28-.410ga guns aren't antique.  Pre '98 centerfire handguns may or may not be antique depending on the cartridge accepted.
As Old Ford2 has pointed out, a modern flintlock pistol without a touchhole isn't a gun.  It is a replica.  Replicas of modern guns are prohibited; replicas of antiques are nothing.
Firearms can be registered online.  Given that the project under discussion is a flintlock, inspection by a verifier probably wouldn't be necessary.  Photos might suffice.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 05:53:45 PM »
Now that could be "cornfuzin".  Cutting to the bottom line how much in fees and charges are you paying to register your work?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »
Gota keep track of all those loonies and their flintlock pistols, VERY DANGEROUS! ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
Registration is free.
But once a flintlock pistol is registered, it can only be removed from the registered owner's dwelling, by the registered owner, under certain circumstances.  If it is to be fired, this can only be done on a gov't inspected and approved range, having been transported there while rendered inoperative by a secure locking device, in a securely locked opaque container, along a route that is reasonably direct.

The law must be working - there hasn't been a shooting with a flintlock pistol in ages.  As a matter of fact, last one I remember hearing about was the last duel in what is now Ontario, Canada, at Perth.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
You gotta be kidding.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline retired fella

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the lesson.  I think I will just keep playing with my toys south of the razor wire.  Wow!

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 06:20:55 PM »
You gotta be kidding.....

No, I'm not.  Under the law, a modern flintlock pistol is subject to the same restrictions as, say, a Glock.
A modern flintlock rifle is deemed to be an antique, and a firearms licence is not required to make, possess or acquire one, and it can be discharged anywhere it is legal to discharge a firearm.  A modern cap rifle is classified as a non-restricted firearm, and the federally issued Possession and Acquisition Licence is required to make, acquire or possess one.  It, too, can be discharged anywhere it is legal to shoot a gun.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 06:35:14 PM »
Hudnut,

In my above questionings, I know how we stand on newly made  long guns, (Flint  match and wheellock are not regarded as firearms, but percussion are.)
I also know that All newly produced pistols of all types are deemed firearms.

What I would like to know, is what part of a pistol is regarded as antique or not,  for restoration purposes?
That as has been suggested, could be something I need to ask the powers that be. 
This is not a case of tomfoolery.
Not too long ago, I was watching at auction an antique turn -off barreled pistol;  The plug and breech were present, but the screw -off barrel was Missing.
If barrel was made and attached, is this then a firearm??  Common sense says not, but what is the legal position?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »
Sorry but I am locking this topic, you are welcome to PM each other questions/answers if you so desire. I believe the OP question has been answered.
1.  Current politics and religion including but not limited to gun control legislation.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:40:47 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson