Author Topic: Very ingenious flintlock ignition system  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Very ingenious flintlock ignition system
« on: January 28, 2018, 08:56:05 PM »
So, I came across this pistol in the August 2014 issue of Muzzleblasts.

At first glance you would think both barrels fired at the same time.

Bu then you see this sliding pan cover exposing a second pan beneath the first,  and a flash channel to the second barrel.

I thought this was a pretty brilliant solution for multiple shots. With a tight fitting pan cover, it seems pretty reliable for a fast second shot on a sidelock. I guess the second channel is drilled at a steep angle to enter the top right flat of the lower barrel.  I may try to build a rifle/smoothbore with a set up like this one day.  Have you folks seen any other guns like this?

Offline Telgan

Re: Very ingenious flintlock ignition system
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »
It may have worked well - But after watching slow motion flintlock ignition film, i'm pretty sure there is no way in heck i would trust it not to double off

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »
It may have worked well - But after watching slow motion flintlock ignition film, i'm pretty sure there is no way in heck i would trust it not to double off
I think with the top pan fitting tightly, and the lip around the bottom pan it would seal well.  Worst case scenario you get a bruised shoulder.

Offline Water Sheltie

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
There's a Queen Ann turn off pistol that uses something similar, but a bit more elegant, both shots went down the same barrel.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »
I think with the top pan fitting tightly, and the lip around the bottom pan it would seal well.  Worst case scenario you get a bruised shoulder.

Why a bruised shoulder?

Seems to me, a double discharge would have quite a retarded second shot, which would simply go high, is all. There would be no recoil problems with a handgun as normally charged.

If not "going off of itself", a deliberate second shot would have quite a hang-fire, with the long vent connection to the lower barrel.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:16:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »

Why a bruised shoulder?

Seems to me, a double discharge would have quite a retarded second shot, which would simply go high, is all. There would be no recoil problems with a handgun as normally charged.

If not "going off of itself", a deliberate second shot would have quite a hang-fire, with the long vent connection to the lower barrel.
I meant a bruised shoulder if the lock was on a rifle and both went at the same time.  I wonder if they filled the bottom vent all the way with powder

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 10:40:09 PM »
Hi,
I bet the whole thing failed to catch on because after a few shots the sliding upper pan jammed with fouling. It was probably good for a single one-two punch and that was it.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
Hi,
I bet the whole thing failed to catch on because after a few shots the sliding upper pan jammed with fouling. It was probably good for a single one-two punch and that was it.

dave
i think it would be a good self defense gun where you only shoot one or twice, or for hunting dangerous game.

JVavrek

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:39:09 AM »
That is pretty neat. That would be a very interesting build to follow.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 02:11:55 AM »
I like the rifle with the lock on a sliding rail system, with a catch at each position. You place the lock all the way out & load 4 or 5-shots atop each other. Take the 1st shot, which ignites the charge towards the muzzle end of the barrel. Then you move the lock to the next position, re-prime and close the frizzen, and take the 2nd shot.

Repeat ...

Now THIS would be a cool build! That ... or the 6-shot revolving French matchlock as made for King Louis, later 1600s.

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 02:13:33 AM »
This one (1800s) is butt ugly, but you get the idea. The other one I referred to looked like a traditional longrifle. Can't find a photo in-line ...

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:15:09 AM by Flint62Smoothie »
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 02:28:51 AM »
Very cool. The matchlock looks like a reproduction. I wonder who made it

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 05:55:15 AM »
I think they tried just about everything they could dream up to get a fast follow up shot.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
 Like the Nock volley gun. With what seven barrels. Nifty idea but not for speed loading....