Author Topic: Unicoi County Tennessee Rifle ...??  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Unicoi County Tennessee Rifle ...??
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
... Recently acquired this East Tennessee rifle .... about .38cal., 43"bbl., 60" overall,...all forged iron mounts,...black walnut stock (cut-down to 3/4 length),... markings on bbl too faint to read ... believe from architecture to be Unicoi or Sullivan Co., TN .  .... Will be restored .... Thoughts and opinions desired please ....Regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler .... (LEFT CLICK ON IMAGE WILL ENLARGE) ...

photos to upload

photo upload and share

Offline diamante

Re: Unicoi County Tennessee Rifle ...??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
Absolutely great find of an East Tennessee classic!

somehippy

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:03 AM »
Gorgeous! I love them lines.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:44:15 AM »
Nice rifle.  Whatever needs restored isn't apparent in those pictures.  Maybe your thinking of shooting it?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:49:15 AM »
Looks like an Ambrose Lawing to me. I would be very cautious about restoration. He made some 3/4 stock rifles late in his career. Somewhere there is a picture of him holding one of his rifles. It is a 3/4 stock.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:41:19 AM »
It does look familiar from my studies. I'm curious as to what needs any restoration. Looks fine as seen in pics.

Congrats on snagging a good looking TN original.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:42:43 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 03:07:51 AM »
Congrats on the rifle. Was nice talking with you at the sale. I didn’t even run the price up on you  ;D

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 03:22:08 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;)... Thank you, Adam ...really was after this one .... when I saw in person, ... had to have her ...wonder who owned her before ..?? ....  ??? ???....seems that still being in East TN, we would have seen her before ... Not a beautifully preserved flint gun, but great upper East Tennessee rifle, non the less ....... thanx again for the gentleman's agreement to refrain ... !!! ... Regards ,... DGB ...

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 04:30:03 AM »
Seems to me some of the rifles in  Alvin York movie  shootin match showed 3/4 stock guns, and I believe Alvin s lightening rod gun was also.
Great find, Bud. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 06:04:14 AM »
Nice rifle, likely Unicoi area. And I agree, it is likely originally 3/4 stock. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:48 AM »
Looks an awful lot like a Lawing. I have three of his 3/4 stock rifles. Same filing on the site. All three are original 3/4 stock rifles. Can’t see what needs restoring. Very nice!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

n stephenson

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:27:17 PM »
CCF, Good for you!! I`m glad she made it to a loving home! Nice find!!!     Nate

Offline scottmc

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 02:42:40 AM »
Very nice find, Cades!!  I'm  in love with that trigger guard and the file work on the front right.  Interesting location of the cheek piece but beautiful nonetheless.
Remember Paoli!

Offline diamante

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:04 PM »
Could you guys who have these 3/4 stocked rifles post some photos of the forend?
Thanks

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »
CCF, great rifle, I ageree with other posts on Ambrose Lawing. I almost jumped in on it online, I've committed to only SC stuff, glad I didn't and you got it and brought it closer to home. You bringing it to the show in April? If so, I look forward to seeing it.

Matt McLeod
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 02:09:49 AM »
 ;) ;)... Steve,... will try to get a few pix of the two 3/4 stocked TENNESSEE rifles I have posted ... maybe by tomorrow, 2/6... will be in another topic in antique collecting .... If you can come to the Cumberland  show this week-end, you can see several in person...... regards,... C C Fiddler

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 02:23:04 AM »
;) ;)... Steve,... will try to get a few pix of the two 3/4 stocked TENNESSEE rifles I have posted ... maybe by tomorrow, 2/6... will be in another topic in antique collecting .... If you can come to the Cumberland  show this week-end, you can see several in person...... regards,... C C Fiddler

Nice. I’m looking forward to seeing this one at Lake Cumberland. I’ll bring along my new Brooks gun for you to see!
Stop Marxism in America

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 05:15:17 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D... S.C.,.... really want to see your new BROOKS rifle .... pix are great ...she's a beauty ....!!! ...

Offline diamante

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 05:51:17 AM »

Thanks. I’m trying to work things out so I can attend. It’s not too bad a drive for me.

Offline diamante

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 02:43:21 AM »

Thanks. I’m trying to work things out so I can attend. It’s not too bad a drive for me.
I was at the show today until 1:30. Sorry I missed seeing them.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
 :( :( :(.... Sorry I missed seeing you there, Steve,.... Didn't  get there until late Friday afternoon.... Opinions were about 50/50 as to stock,... some think original fullstock,... some half...??? ,... anyway all agree UNICOI CO,. TENNESSEE ,.. !!! ... will bring her to Knoxville to show to a couple other collectors who were not at Cumberland ..... Regards, C C Fiddler,.....