Author Topic: Percussion to flint conversion ?  (Read 3106 times)

Mikecooper

Percussion to flint conversion ?
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:46:58 AM »
I am thinking of converting this percussion to flint because I think it would be easier to fit a vent hole liner than a new drum.   Good idea or bad idea?  It's not an old original although it has a very old original look,  It's at least 30 years old or more.   

If I do convert it what lock could I get that would fit the existing lock mortice?   I included a ruler for size.  It's about 4 and 3/4 inch long and about 3/4 inch wide.
Would a small Siler work? 

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Percussion to flint conversion ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:13:38 AM »
Try a small Siler plate if you can find one and then check to see f the tumbler-pan-cock will work with the vent location.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:22:06 AM »
That is a small Siler percussion lock.  The small Siler flintlock will be an exact fit to replace it.

Mikecooper

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 04:43:17 AM »
Jim, thank you,  I was hoping someone would recognize that as an exact fit but I wasn't sure.  I didn't want to buy a lock and find out it doesn't fit. 

Offline little joe

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 06:43:21 AM »
I do not know if you shoot flint or not but that small Siler will light that thing up. I,m sure you will enjoy it.

Mikecooper

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
Hi Little Joe,  I prefer flint,  my first build was a flint.  I acquired this one and the maker didn't install the drum correctly.  It even had a lead washer to space it out and make it line up with the hammer and the hole was drilled and tapped not at a right angle to the barrel.   I even thought about replacing the barrel.   Other options are to drill and tap for a larger drum but I don't have a drill press.  Or install a vent liner,  This Lehigh style rifle would look better flint anyway.   After I fix it up I want to sell it so I can build something.   

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:52:35 PM by Mikecooper »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
I am in the process of just such a conversion. I have to say it was allot more work than I anticipated.  I have done it several times before with no trouble and once even built a rifle that can be easily changed back and forth.
I wish you had a photo of the rifle with the barrel in it?  One big problem can be that the drum is installed high on the barrel.
I am trying to attach a couple pics of the gun I am now doing.  I didn't take notice when I took the jb, but you will see how things line up.  The touch hole if I use a purchased liner will be at least 1/16" high.
That may present trouble, in fact the hole may be above the pan cover.
If he is just shooting in matches may not be a problem, but it will look crappy and I don't like folks thinking I am responsible for that.
I am going to try a regular vent and see how it works and looks.  But may end up making a vent with the hole lower.
Allot more work.
Consider that, as well as the triggers, this gun needed work to make the triggers work.
Also they had beveled the lock bolster. I didn't do that I just glass bedded the lock level and tite on the barrel.
This is a target bench gun and there is nothing PC about it, I have no idea why they did that unless it was a used lock from a finer pc.
Just trying to help.
Have fun

Mikecooper

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
Hi Bigmon, thanks for the info.   I can post a pic with the barrel in later this evening.   I had not thought about the position of the vent hole being too high.  I have a vent liner I can put in temporary and see how it lines up with the percussion lock.  I don't have a flint lock yet to put see how it lines up with that.   I saw another thread here recently where someone said you could use a bolt with a shoulder,  install it cut it off and drill a vent hole.   That's a lot of work but may be necessary.   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:46:37 PM by Mikecooper »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »
I’d make a vent liner from a partially threaded bolt.  Remove and cut it 1/4” long on the shank end and file a square for putting it back in.  Now put it in and drill the hole where you want it.  Countersink the inside centered on that hole or use Tom Snyder’s tool.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »
That's probably what I'm going to have to do.  But I have a TH Liner coming and will see how it looks and works.  I can always make one.  I just am not sure how to locate the TH, and take it back out and counter bore inside and put it back in??
I have to leave enough on the outside to get a good hold of, yet still locate the TH accurately, or there is not much use going to the extra trouble?
O do not have allot of tools to work with, especially that small.
I hope this helps ya. Too bad you have to buy a lock to see "if" it is going to work.
When I built the rifle I mentioned that was intended to be able to switch from the beginning I had both locks and did allot of measuring, comparing, experimenting in deciding the location.  It all fits and works great, but I had to do alittle modification to the percussion lock.
Thanks to all

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »
Leaving some shank protruding, like a drum, and filing a screwdriver slot or square on the excess sticking out will allow you to drill wherever you want with the liner in tight.

Then remove and countersink the inside or cone it, centered on the drilled hole.

Then re-install and cut off and file off the protruding shank.

I am repeating myself lol.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »
that's what I was wanting to hear

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 11:33:09 PM »
I’d make a vent liner from a partially threaded bolt.  Remove and cut it 1/4” long on the shank end and file a square for putting it back in.  Now put it in and drill the hole where you want it.  Countersink the inside centered on that hole or use Tom Snyder’s tool.
That is what Taylor and I did for my squirrel rifle, converted to flint from cap.  Using a normal liner, had the hole to high for consistently good ignition, we made a liner, with an angled vent hole, hollowed out on the inside. It worked exceptionally well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Mikecooper

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 05:57:53 AM »
Here's a picture with the barrel and a temporary vent liner,  looks to me like it might line up right but wont know for sure until I get the lock.