Author Topic: Dressing Bolts and Barrel Keys  (Read 2393 times)

Thom

Dressing Bolts and Barrel Keys
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
I'm using keys for barrel anchors with silver escutcheons. How do I dress my key so as not to contact and ding up my lovely silver escutcheons?

For that matter, How do you dress lock bolts to not mark your sideplates.

I have not seen this question addressed before. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't have a metal lathe.

Thank You all in advance for Your well schooled advice.

Thom

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:42:27 PM by Thom »

Offline 45-110

Re: Dressing Bolts and Barrel Keys
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 10:44:45 PM »
if side plate is thick enough you could slightly counter bore for the screw head...that would solve the visible marring. the key head underside should match stock/escutcheon curvature as precisely as you can get it....then really polish up the back side.
best
kw

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »
Lock screws run from the opposite side of the lock.

There will be no marring underneath the escutcheon - at least none that I have ever seen.  How would a properly finished (filed and sanded/smoothed on all edges) wedge head mark the plate?

Thom, I think you are envisioning problems that do not exist. With an escutcheon, any marking that could happen (doubt it), would be underneath the head anyway.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:39:13 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Thom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »
On the three rifles I have built the bolts have marred the side plate. Your right Daryl, it's underneath, but I see it and it bothers me.

Thom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:37:25 AM »
Hanging on a bit tight..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 03:24:21 AM »
On the three rifles I have built the bolts have marred the side plate. Your right Daryl, it's underneath, but I see it and it bothers me.

Thom

That is just the nature of firearms in general. If you use them they will get some character along the way.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:48:22 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:22:46 AM »
Install a white nylon washer under both maybe? I can't think of anyway to keep it from marring and still be snug. Bob

Thom

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 04:45:02 AM »
Hanging on a bit tight..... ;)

That's what I've relied on so far. Guess that will do.

Thanks Guys

Thom

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:45:19 AM »
As long as steel is harder than silver you are going to have marring no matter how highly you polish the steel.  It is like timing your lock bolts, if you remove and replace them enough they are going to eventually not line up.  You couldto use a period correct  ;D leather washer under the heads to prevent any marking of the silver.
David

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:21 AM »
My first 4 Mlers had keys w/ escutcheons and never had any indents....the keys are pushed in w/ the fingers. If you make them so tight that a wooden block and hammer are used, then you'll get indents. As far as the lockbolts.....why worry whether the head scores the brass?.....Fred