Author Topic: Hawken Pistol  (Read 3357 times)

Offline runastav

Hawken Pistol
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Hi Guys!
How do you guys build a hawken Pistol now days, cant get a percussion Hawken lock anywhere (Given it up :() Trying years to get one but no no.
My parts so far bit of a GM barrel 10" 15/16" cal 50  stock and parts from TOTW. So wat are yours suggestion for lock and bolster(Percussion)?
Runar

img upload

Offline 45-110

Re: Hawken Pistol
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:54:56 PM »
very timely post!
yes i too gave up on acquiring parts for my hawken pistol. so am now in month 2 of completing it. it has been challenging to say the least and this is not my first pistol. i made the lock, trigger guard, set trigger, thimbles, rib, grip cap from scratch. had a left over 1" barrel piece in .54 cal. and reworked a old standing breech tang. today is spent building the ramrod swivels, they to are a pain, but i think i am there now. poured a pewter cap too that looks pretty nice on my left over pc. of walnut for the stock.
hardest part for me is getting all the parts to function with each other. the sear to set trigger marriage about drove me nuts. all my parts are close to the TOW drawing but not exact.  now nearing completion i am suprised at how big the thing is compared to my kentucky/pa. pistols. still not sure i like the trigger guard spur.....whats its function? a hook for your belt sash?
good luck
kw

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »
I just built one got all the parts from muzzle loaders builders supply and no issues what so ever
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline runastav

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:22:26 PM »
Hi And thank you!
Maby I go for a Goulcher Lock same as on my H.E. Leman build? So its be a sort of Hawken/Leman pistol
Runar

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 07:46:40 PM »
Hi And thank you!
Maby I go for a Goulcher Lock same as on my H.E. Leman build? So its be a sort of Hawken/Leman pistol
Runar

That Goulcher lock perhaps can be shortened to keep it from going
too far into the grip.Also in the TOW catalog I see an Ohio Squirrel rifle lock
and will call and see if they are even available.I have made a number of these small locks
but my insisting on being paid for at least a part of the time it takes to make them
stops considering one. OK BY ME.

Bob Roller

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 09:01:24 PM »
I have this lock and it's small enough for a pistol lock. Almost a 1/4" shorter than the Davis Jim Bridger Hawken lock, and if needed it can be shortened a little more.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/783/1/LOCK-LR-150

Good luck on the tang and bolster. Pecatonica still lists them, and that's where I got mine last year.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:09:56 PM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline runastav

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
Hi Guys, and thank you . Clark B interesting lock, maby I order one of this is it around 4x1" ?
Runar

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
It's 4 5/8" ×1" as it comes and could be shortened a little on the front and rear areas of the lock. My Davis Hawken lock is about .2" longer and, looks visibly larger even though it's not much bigger.  The Davis lock has a beefier hammer which is probably why it looks bigger.
Psalms 144

Offline runastav

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 08:04:56 PM »
Thank you Clark B, I have now order LOCK-LR-150 from TOTW :)
Runar