Author Topic: House rifle on gunbroker  (Read 9106 times)

Offline 44-henry

House rifle on gunbroker
« on: July 24, 2008, 03:36:07 AM »
If anyone is interested I noticed this rifle on gunbroker tonight, I have no idea who the seller is or their reserve.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105555376

Offline P.Bigham

Re: House rifle on gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:23:27 AM »
 It will be Interesting to see what this Rifle goes for.     
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:10:28 AM »
Nice gun.  Classic Hershel. Wish it were right handed. 

I love some of the odd little things he would throw in - the copper, the termination of the forend molding, the nailed buttplate.  Barrel looks to have a pronounced swamp -might be one that Hershel hand filed the swamp into starting from a straight barrel, althought I seem to recall seeing some GRRW swamps running around over the years.  All in all a very cool piece.  .

Guy
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:14:06 AM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
It will be Interesting to see what this Rifle goes for.     
Yes, please keep us posted on the $ it brings!

Madcaster

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:48:13 AM »
 Looks good.

Rickd

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:19:03 AM »
nice indeed

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 05:08:53 AM »
I wouldn't be critical for anything in the world, but I would like to point one thing out about the rifle that is in error that very few would notice ...the Masonic Square and Compass, righthand side of the stock just foward of the buttplate.

The rifle represents one that is from the period of the RevWar, 3rd quarter of the 18th century. The Masonic Symbol as shown did not come into existance until 1832, and even then only in England when the English Grand Lodge adopted the Symbol as it is shown. It was a number of years later, and even then slowly, adopted by Masonic Lodges in the United States. So.....given that the Freemasons go far back in time, what Symbol would have been correct for the time period of this rifle?

The Square and Compass would have been correct, but without the "G" in the center. (The "G" denotes "Geometry" and not "God" as almost everyone thinks, including many Freemasons). Also, the right side of the Square would have been positioned over the right leg of the Compass. That is, the right leg of the Compass would have been under the right leg of the "V" formed by the Square. The left leg of the Compass goes over the left leg of the Square as shown. Very minor point, but wanted to point it out anyway.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:09:22 AM »
Interesting, but one could argue that the inlays could have been added years after the rifle had been built.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »
It looks like it is up to $3500 now but has not met the reserve. It would be interesting to know what the sellers reserve is.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 07:28:19 AM »
Looks like it went up to $4100 without meeting the reserve. Curious what his reserve was? Anyone know what House rifles of this type are currently bringing?

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
I know of one, a .32cal, that sold a little over a year ago for $5,500. It was offered to me for that, but I didn't need it at the time and a good friend of mine took it. I also know of a classic "Hershel" rifle with an interesting but confidential history that could not be touched for twice this amount!