Author Topic: Sear spring  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Mauser06

Sear spring
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:02:49 AM »
I have a Chamber's Deluxe Siler getting ready for the current build.

I am no lock wizard.

The sear spring won't stay put and I can't figure out why.  I had it apart so maybe I missed something...the lock does function as per normal...if the spring stays in it's place which it really doesn't unless I hold it in place while I cock the lock.

I didn't file anything on the internals or modify the sear spring at all. I filed the face of the lock clean and that was it aside from taking it apart and inletting the lock into the stock.

Any thoughts? 

(Disclaimer...I am NOT bashing Chamber's or blaming the lock..I'm sure it's my fault..).

If no ideas, I will call Chamber's..but figured I'd start here.

Thanx!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Sear spring
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »
It should have a tab on the bottom that fits in a slot in the lock plate.   You have to make sure the tab is in the slot and then tighten the screw down.   I usually tighten the screw down until the tab touches the plate and then swing the spring around until it snaps into the slot.  At that point, you can tighten the screw down to hold the tab in the slot.    If the tab is missing or not large enough, contact Chambers.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
Thanx Mark.  That's how I remember it working...compared it to another Chamber's lock. Can't seem to figure out why it doesn't want to lock into the recess.

Online Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »
Sounds like the tab that Mark has mentioned may not be sitting into the slot in the plate, it may also be that the tab isn't square, but may have rounded corners, could also be that the tab is too short. May need a little file work somewhere along the line.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:41 PM »
Mauser,  you stated you filed the lock plate. Did you file the internal side? Could you have removed enough material in the sear area to make the recess the sear spring tab fits in more shallow? They are not real deep to start with. Check for daylight under the edge of the spring when assembled. May need to deepen the notch. A small engraver used carefully will do it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »
A picture of the recess and backside of the spring will tell the story.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:08:54 PM »
Thank guys.  I did not file the back side of the plate. Just took the gray eggshell off the face.

Compared to my Dale Johnson (I know...a different lock...) The tab and the recess are both much larger.

I will take a better look and see if I can get a couple pics before work. 

Offline little joe

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 08:17:05 PM »
Send it back to Chambers and they will take care of it.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 01:38:07 AM »
Mauser,
Do you have the cock installed on the tumbler.  Sometimes, without the cock installed, the tumbler will rotate enough to allow the spring to slip off the tumbler.
Won't happen with cock in place.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 01:53:10 AM »
Yessir, the cock is on the tumbler.   I will give Chamber's a call. I don't wanna screw it up on my own lol.

The tab just doesn't wanna stay in the recess for some reason.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 03:41:04 AM »

Mauser 06
You may find that the screw that holds the sear spring down is the wrong length, or is not threaded up enough for it to hold the spring down tight.

David Price

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 04:20:15 AM »
D. Price,
What genius ! I'll bet your right. He got the front bridle screw and the sear spring screw reversed.
Or maybe the pan screw if he took it off.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:27:04 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 05:00:42 AM »
That's what I was really figuring happened... something with the screws. Right now, the sear spring screw and another right near it protrude about the same amount...and both seem to protrude a good bit more than I am used to...I didn't think I filed THAT much...figured I'd just file them down when I'm polishing the lock later..

I will check the screws and see of I can figure it out...I tried to keep them all in order...even separate bags...of course when I went to assemble it, everything fell into a pile on the bench lol...

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 05:19:40 AM »
Ok, I withdraw my previous post.  You said sear spring, and I was THINKING, main spring.
Sorry. 
Check the tab, and it's notch, if alls well, tighten up the screw.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 06:26:26 AM »
Totw has the length of all the screws for your lock listed on the same page as your lock. You can do some measuring and match things up.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »
Awesome!! Thank you!!  I just looked...bridle screw is .53" and sear spring screw is .55". Just the perfect length difference that it'd create enough looseness I bet... I will find out in a half hour or so when I get home.  I bet that's the problem though. I didn't play with it much before I took it apart
..but didn't think that it had that issue so I assume I did something wrong.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:31 AM »
David Price and Flinchrocket, you guys must have made the same mistake before!!

That was the issue!  Swamped the bridle screw and sear spring screw and it worked perfectly!

Thanks all!!  Saved me again!!

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »
I've made my share, don't remember making that one. My mistakes are usually not that easy to fix.
Glad you got it straightened out.