General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Braggin Grampa

(1/5) > >>

Bill of the 45th:
Just got back from an hour session at the range with my 13 year old grandson Christian, who's visiting for a couple of weeks  with granpa.  I've only had him shooting once before when he was 11.  Below is 20 rounds of .54 at 25 yards offhand with my 54 flinter.  I put one round in the target, the other 19 are his.  55 grains of powder with a prelubed .20 patch, and .530 round ball.  He's never shot a flintlock before, and had no preconception about flash.  Didn't phase him a bit.

The round touching the dot is mine, the rest including 16 rounds in one hole is Christians

This is what he was shooting, that 42 ins swamped barrel is sweet to hold, and the Siler is instantanious, we had one flash in the pan, and that was because I didn't prick the hole, and we never wiped between shots.
Bill

Michigan Flinter:
Bill thats some fancy shooting on your grandsons part doesn't it just make your heart smile! Bring him down to Brokenlock Gun Club this week-end for a woodswalk Saturday and an over -the- log - shoot Sunday. Eric D. Lau Riverdale Mi.

Snakebite:
Sign that kid up!!   :)  Great shooting.  So when's Grampa shelling out the $$ for a flinter for him?
Pretty gun too.

BrownBear:
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but one grampa to another, SAVE THAT TARGET!

northmn:
I have seen these kids that can shoot like that before.  At ML shoots they used to say give him another few years and we won't be able to touch them.  My response was that after they start chasing girls, and developing all those other bad habits some of us still have and are now kind of semi-proud about the ones we gave up when we look back on them they will be as messed up as we are.  Once in a while one would stay dedicated to the shooting.  Enjoy the kids while you can.  Mine have grown up except for one daughter who will be leaving for college soon and still enjoys to hunt.  My grandkids are now about 2 years old and I hope I can be able to enjoy experiences like you just had in another 11 years.  I told my daughter in law that if she leaves the grandson with granddad, sooner or later I am going to start corrupting him by teaching him to build bows, shoot guns and other such things.

DP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version