Author Topic: Freddie Harrison on contemporary blogspot  (Read 5821 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Freddie Harrison on contemporary blogspot
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
Man what a beauty.  This one was done about 20 years ago.  Superb.  About as nice an iron-mounted rifle as I've seen; just creative and feels right at the same time.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

Re: Freddie Harrison on contemporary blogspot
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:01:52 AM »
Rich....I too was impressed.  I've known Freddy for a long time, didn't know he did such kind of work.   I wonder if he also
forged the hardware.   Real neat gun................Don

David G

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:26 AM »
Freddie had that gun up at the show in Norris,Tn. If I'm not mistaken he said that wood was some red walnut he had come across.  It had alot of character. I must have turned it around 2 or 3 times and yet each time something new would pop up. Very tasteful file work.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:40:38 AM »
I've seen Freddie with this style of gun for a long time. It's his "money gun".  Same style, walnut stock most popular, 7/8 th in. Green Mtn. barrel, wood box, long pointy tang, really good stying, incised carving in his style with big long curls, steel furniture, Siler lock. Very cool looking rifles and a good value. This is a bit fancier example.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »
Freddie is one of the best "unknown" builders out there I think - everyone knows him for his stock wood, but he builds graceful nicely decorated rifles that are totally his own style, yet look "right."  He has a real knack for little touches of decorative metal work and acheiving sort of a mellow burnished look to his iron mounts.  Never overdone - when you look at one of his guns and turn it over, every little area ususually has a surprise, but he keeps it subtle.

Guy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:11:19 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:17:00 AM »
Mr. Harrison made me a southern mountain rifle 10 years ago.  A simple rifle that had little touches everywhere.  I would have taken and appreciated less, and certainly paid for less.  It is the best shooting gun I have ever shot.  In my humble opinion he is one of the best builders out there.  I love the work he does forward of the rear sight.  His file work is incredible.

Flinter

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:28:05 AM »
I called Freddie Harrison a few weeks ago, and I asked him about a price on a stock blank for a project. After I saw rich pierce’s thread, I looked it up, and thought I have to have one of these. 
I called Fred yesterday and told him I had sent a check for the stock. I talked to his wife and told her a gunsmith web site had a stock similar to what I wanted. While she was looking up the web site, I was talking to Fred. I asked if he would build me a flintlock like the one pictured on the Contemporary Makers site, and he told me he no longer built rifles.
After I noticed his wife was having trouble finding the web site and he had another customer there, I told Fred to call me back when he found the site and had time to talk. About fifteen minutes later he called me back and said,” I will try my best to match the stock.” I don’t think he realized I was on my knees with my hands clasped together when I asked him again is there was anyway you could build me a flintlock.
What is it about gun collectors when they find out they cannot have a particular firearm, they want it just that much more, or is that just me? Anyway, I think he builds a clean unique looking rifle, and after talking to him on the phone, he is a fantastic guy.

Mike

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
Bought my first stock blank from Freddie back in 1977 and he was wonderful to work with even back then.  Always have enjoyed seeing him here and there over the years.  He gets some of the best quarter sawn stump hard maple around.
Andover, Vermont

Flinter

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
Fred invited me to his house rich. He is among a few others on this board that has done that. 

1977! Man, you must have a pretty good collection. I got started a little late in life, so three custom flintlocks is the best I can hope for.

Mike

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »
I think Fred usually has a rifle or 2 for sale at the shows - Friendship, CLA etc.  I think he might build a few of his own interest, for fun, but does not take orders for rifles.  But buying a spec gun that a good builder just builds up because they want to is a great way to get some of their best work, I think.  The ones he has for sale at the shows are always nice guns.

Guy