Author Topic: Drilling Screw Holes Perpendicular  (Read 3832 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Drilling Screw Holes Perpendicular
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:14:39 PM »
When drilling screw holes into a non flat surface, such as following the contour of a buttstock for a patchbox, how does one ensure that the drill is ninety degrees to a non flat surface?  Also, how do you remedy a screw head that doesn't lay flat into a countersink?  I've always had the problem of guessing before I drill based solely on eyeballing the bit in the drill.

Thanks for any answers...

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Drilling Screw Holes Perpendicular
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »
  I have posted this before.   Below are a couple of photos of drill guides that are used for this purpose. You will notice that in one photo there are two screws in the bottom of the drill guide. These two screws can be adjusted to where the guide is perpendicular in both directions. I hope I have made it understandable. No charge.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:47:57 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 11:00:14 PM »
I have taken to using gimlets for creating pilot holes.   They are easier to line up than a drill bit in a drill.  It is not a perfect method, though.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
I noticed in Hershel Houses (or it might have been Jim Turpins) video that there was a level built into the drill.

So, for either pilot holes or pin holes where I could get the right bit into my Dremel Tool I noticed that there was a flat surface on the tool itself parallel to the bit.  I glued a plumbers level there and it works well  for pin and lock bolts once you can ascertain the top barrel flat is set in the vice so that it, too, is level.  That eliminated the need to eyeball because all I have to watch is the horizontal 90 degrees.

I've pretty much hit my plateau in terms of skill or talent, so I haven't looked beyond this.  The only time I'll use my drill press is when , say, a stock comes with flat sides or lock panels.

The other element to this that is always present is having a really good eye.  I don't, so I don't dare try anything I can avoid that requires such if I can measure or set the tool or piece.  Out of cold fear I will check two or three times before working.

When I was a junior member here I said what I will always say...there's a reason Cordwainers make shoes and riflemakers make rifles. My heels are always level.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
I just eye-ball them both ways, As I'm drilling.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
Like Mark mentions I too often use gimlets to start screw/bolt holes.

Also, finger drills can be very exact.

You can get acceptably close to square doing it that way.

dave
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:22:06 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »
Dave, I use the same set of gimlets.  Very handy.  Best part is I can get them started, check that they are square, adjust, re-check, then finish the job.
Andover, Vermont

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »
Dave, I use the same set of gimlets.  Very handy.  Best part is I can get them started, check that they are square, adjust, re-check, then finish the job.

Exactly Rich, using them allows you to adjust for square as you go. Employ a power drill and zzzip... it is done practically in the blink of an eye, square or not.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
I use the Mark I eyeball. If things aren't lining up as I like, I put a plug in the hole and re-drill.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
 I see a few suggestions posted here that won't work very well. The idea is not how to fix mistakes but rather how not to make them in the first place.

Offline goodtime7

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 11:07:31 PM »
I envy those that can line up, drill, and have good alignment when they are done.    I agree with Dave and have found gimlets to be helpful.   It may not be the fastest, but it is quicker than having to plug holes and start over.    Minimizes the frustration too.....Bruce

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »
I see a few suggestions posted here that won't work very well.
Jerry,
I've been thinking the same thing for the last couple of days when reading various solutions offered.  I came to this conclusion (   :D ):

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »
Thanks to all... I ordered a set of gimlets and will wait until delivered before installing the patchbox.  I've had pretty good luck eyeballing it in the past, but on this gun I want to make sure everything is straight.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »
I see a few suggestions posted here that won't work very well. The idea is not how to fix mistakes but rather how not to make them in the first place.

I'm working on #189 at the time, and I can't say if I have ever had one go absolutely perfect yet. Good luck on that!  ;) ;D
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »

I'm working on #189 at the time, and I can't say if I have ever had one go absolutely perfect yet. Good luck on that!  ;) ;D
I feel the same as you besides how many of the old masters just used their eyeball :o ::) :-\??
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
 A lot of the "old masters " weren't very masterful. Especially the ones who eyeballed everything.  Most of them had fixtures, drill guides and such just as we do today. They weren't stupid. Forging dies have been found also.

ddoyle

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 02:00:40 AM »
just used their eyeball

Well that would the most accurate way to do it. The MKI eyeball is very capable when connected to an online processor (grey matter).  Disconnect the processor tho and we all know what happens ;D

trust the force luke......