Author Topic: Stabbing method  (Read 3696 times)

Offline varsity07840

Stabbing method
« on: February 09, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
Can someone describe using the stabbing method, proper chisels, etc when inletting a piece with a radius end such as a banana patchbox?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:52:09 PM by varsity07840 »

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Stabbing method
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
Trace the outline of the box, then use a chisel with a sweep that matches the curve of the line. Just tap on it with a mallet.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »
Trace the outline of the box, then use a chisel with a sweep that matches the curve of the line. Just tap on it with a mallet.

And if you don’t have a chisel that matches, make one. None of these stabbing tools need to be wider than 1/4”. In fact, the wider they are the less likely they will work, because few inlets are of the same continuous radius. I made a few of various radius and about 4 of them plus a straight take care of almost everything.

And I confess I sometimes use my tools when designing inlays. So much easier when the pattern is made to fit the tools. [\size]
Andover, Vermont

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
Everything you need to know except the pictures is in this link.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28886.0;nowap

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »
I think Mike Brooks covers that in his tutorial.  Not sure how the pictures fared in the PB fiasco.
Mike Lee

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »
I shoulda checked first.  It's in PDF and therefore intact.
Mike Lee

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:33:29 PM »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 10:03:34 PM »
I think Mike Brooks covers that in his tutorial.  Not sure how the pictures fared in the PB fiasco.

No Photo Bucket problems with Mike's tutorial I put it all on the ALR site and the reside here and not on PB.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »
Hey Dennis -- glad to see you back in action after your surgery.  Heal fast.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »
Thanks Dave, more slow motion than action :'(
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Fiftyfour

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 12:28:16 AM »
Are the gouges incannel out outcannel?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:46 AM »
These are what I use.  I do have another of smaller radius not shown.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:33:38 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 09:36:31 PM »
I use a 3/8" skew chisel for all carving and inletting. Work with the bevel out, pushing wood away, rather than removing it. I start inside the lines drawn, and push the wood over to the line.
After the patchbox or other inlay is in, wet the wood, and it swells back to the metal. I use the same method for wire inlay. Works well for me.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 06:04:35 AM »
Waksupi,
What kind of 3/8 skew chisel do you use? Is it a #1 straight or possibly a shallow curved gouge? I have found the smaller chisels and shallower gouges are much more workable that the larger ones so many recommend. A good example are those made by Rich And shown above. I think he said he uses those on most of his work. Rich, please correct me if I am wrong. A few years ago, I saw Wallace Gusler's chisels and as I remember, there were only about 5 or 6 gouges/chisels and some of them were bull nosed for rolling along an element line. Just some more ideas to try. Good luck.
elkhorne

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 04:32:03 AM »
Waksupi,
What kind of 3/8 skew chisel do you use? Is it a #1 straight or possibly a shallow curved gouge? I have found the smaller chisels and shallower gouges are much more workable that the larger ones so many recommend. A good example are those made by Rich And shown above. I think he said he uses those on most of his work. Rich, please correct me if I am wrong. A few years ago, I saw Wallace Gusler's chisels and as I remember, there were only about 5 or 6 gouges/chisels and some of them were bull nosed for rolling along an element line. Just some more ideas to try. Good luck.
elkhorne

The one I use is straight. No number reference, as it is one I made. I agree smaller ones are much better to work with.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana