Author Topic: Hatfield main spring  (Read 4797 times)

mosin75

Hatfield main spring
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »
I broke my mainspring on my Hatfield .50 flintlock. My black powder gunsmith can't find another after he did an extensive search. I could replace the whole lock but would love to find a just mainspring. Any recommendations?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Hatfield main spring
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:01:43 PM »
A black powder gunsmith should be able to make one. If you have a Track of the Wolf catalogue you might be able to find one that lines up well enough.
Andover, Vermont

Offline little joe

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:06:47 PM »
Get a forged one from L and R lock and your guy should be able to fix you up.

mosin75

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:51:25 PM »
L and R did not have one that fit this rifle. We already went that route. Does anyone know someone that makes them at a reasonable price? My gunsmith no long makes them.

mosin75

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »
We also checked Track of the Wolf and those did not work either.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:07 AM »
Brad Emig at Cabin Creek advertises as a LOCK DOCTOR?
He does fine work on everything I have seen.

mosin75

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:09 AM »
Thanks Bigmom I called him and left him a message. If anyone else has any suggestions it would be welcomed. TIA

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 12:55:19 AM »
Dixie Gun Works sells mainsprings, mainspring blanks, and spring steel.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:58:50 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

mosin75

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:22 AM »
Cabin Creek referred us to Flintlock etc. I thought it may have been an import and tried Flint lock etc and they told us they haven't seen this spring for 20 years. L+R didn't have one either. I wish I had the knowledge and smarts to make my own. I really don't want to have to buy a whole new lock.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:10:07 AM »
You might try Deer Creek Products in Waldron , In. 765-525-6181
Or he may know where to find one?

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »
Is it possible for you to post a photo of the lock [ external and internal ] ?   Some were supposedly L&R locks but I've heard rumours that there was a time when they used Pedersoli locks , and even some of their barrels.  I think that occurred in the final stages of the companies existence.  If you post the measurements, perhaps someone here has a spring that would fit

Offline 45-110

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
a "black powder gunsmith" should have no problem making you one. really, making a mainspring is not all that difficult and so much better than a cast one.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:39 PM »
a "black powder gunsmith" should have no problem making you one. really, making a mainspring is not all that difficult and so much better than a cast one.

Some of these "gunsmiths"are parts changers and actually making some part is not
part of their shop work.

Bob Roller

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
I broke my mainspring on my Hatfield .50 flintlock. My black powder gunsmith can't find another after he did an extensive search. I could replace the whole lock but would love to find a just mainspring. Any recommendations?

Try VTI Gun Parts. They carry or can get parts for the Pedersoli Frontier and Blue Ridge rifles which are essentially and generation
Hatfields.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »
 If your truly a gun maker you can make a mainspring.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
I believe the lock in the Hatfield rifles was originally sold by Dixie, before the Hatfield was marketed. It was always made in Italy as far as I can tell. There are suppliers that specialize in production gun parts that can probably get parts for this lock. There are a couple of locks made by current U.S. makers  that are of similar size, that might have a spring that could be adapted to your gun.

Hungry Horse

ddoyle

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »
I think Simplified V- Springs is about 5 dollars to purchase.

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 03:03:54 AM »
Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to make a mainspring for you, including properly tempering it.

Offline newtire

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 05:17:48 AM »
If your truly a gun maker you can make a mainspring.
So, the real question here is, who on here is a "real gunmaker" and who can make a spring for this guy?  If someone can answer that, then I think we're getting somewhere.  Once we find that person, put me on the list for needing to have a spring made also.

Anyone know anyone who can really make a spring then?  I would sure like to get in touch with someone who can make me one.
Thanks!

Newtire

Offline newtire

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 05:19:11 AM »
Does anyone know any real salty gunsmiths then?  Just need to have a spring made.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2022, 08:37:53 AM »
Find someone who can make one or use full size photos from the Track of the Wolf catalog to find one that can be made to work. Likely need to drill another hole in the lock plate. Jus t make sure its drilled in the right place.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2022, 03:44:58 PM »
Call the Log Cabin Shop, they may one

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 04:07:49 PM »
This thread is 4 years old.There are people here that can make anything needed but do no repair work for anyone. I never did do it and did not want to be swamped with a lot of low end junk that was no good to begin with and now nearly 86 and have no interest at all in trying.Since December 31 I have been in the shop only twice and that was to get a wrench to use in installing a new stove and to mill 6 trigger bars for the Hawken.
Bob Roller

Offline Gordy

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2022, 04:08:18 PM »
Mosin75, if you send me some pics and dimensions I may be able to help you out. I have a lot of mainsprings, if perhaps I would happen to have one you will need to harden the spring.
Good Day, Gordy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2022, 04:38:33 PM »
Mosin75, if you send me some pics and dimensions I may be able to help you out. I have a lot of mainsprings, if perhaps I would happen to have one you will need to harden the spring.
Good Day, Gordy
Harden and TEMPER (stress relieve).
Bob Roller