General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Memorable Misses

(1/7) > >>

northmn:
Somehow the title looked to me like I had a harem.  Last thing I would want.  In firearm efficiency I made the claim that no matter how good you are you are going to screw up.  Actually the screw ups are why its called hunting and not shooting.
Remembering a miss on Ruffed grouse seems kind of ridiculous as some claim a good shot gets one out of four flying. When I was a kid they used to tell me a 410 was best for grouse.  I found out they meant for pot shooting them in the head as they rarely if ever shot one flying.  I had a little 28 gauge percussion I bought at an auction I think.  Dixie used to sell them.  I had a beautiful shot at a grouse with it.  One of those rare openings in the brush where the cover was low and it was flying over it.  I shot and blew off an aspen sapling about a foot from the barrel. The shot grooves covered the whole sapling. I dead centered it.  I could have just about used the top part as a ramrod it was that close to bore diameter.  Wing shooting grouse is its own thing as you do not have time for the niceties used on open field game.
I had a little problem getting my first deer with a ML as Murphy would not let me see one while carrying a ML.  When I would take out the 270 they would be all over the place.  My first chance at one, I was walking carefully through the woods with a 58 and saw one across a clearing. I pulled up and shot and watched a sapling slowly fall over about halfway to the deer.  The deer ran a ways and looked back as if to try to figure out what happened.  That was about the only sapling between me and the deer and again I dead centered it.
Your turn.

DP

Daryl:
My most embarrasing miss was on the range at Hefley. It was the only paper target round there, 25 yards, 50 yards and 75 yards.  At 75, we shot the standard buffalo target, I managed to shoot a 38/50 with my 3rd shot hitting the left hood, a bull 4" lower than the bottom scoring ring.  I've always wondered if I hadn't flinched, would that miss have been inside the 2 1/2" group with a 9 or a 10 score. My 4 shots in the scoring rings were 2 - 9's and 2 - 10's.  I was shooting the 14 bore with 125gr. 2F. 

northmn:
I don't know why that reminded me of it, but one lady shooter had a hard time living down the hit made on a realististic looking bull buffalo target. She shot off an intimate protruberace.  Only hit she made at 100 yards.

DP

Roger Fisher:
Sheesh I've so many I can't even remember 'em! ::)

Jeff Peters:
I'm with Rodger Too manty to count.

I do remember my nephew's miss once.
Gave him a brand new gun and we took off small game hunting. He called me over just in time to see him miss a sitting rabbit. Big pile of dirt and dust but no rabbit Gave him some good natured ribbing about it.
The boy practiced after that and now he rarely ever misses a rabbit or even a flushing grouse.
Wish I could say the same.
Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version