Author Topic: Brass Kick Plate?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Jeff Durnell

Brass Kick Plate?
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »
You know those brass kick plates used on the bottoms of doors? I know some are just plated steel, but some claim to be solid brass. Can they be used for inlays and/or engraving if they're solid brass?  Has anyone here used it? I think they can come in different thicknesses, .050 being the average? And I'm guessing they wear a coating that would need sanded off. Just wondering. I have a lot of practicing to do :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Brass Kick Plate?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:36:35 PM »
Old ones can be real brass. But realistically new brass plate in day 0.040 thickness is inexpensive practice plate. Plus you can still use the other side for actual parts.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:13:45 AM »
My door kick plate is .040" thick, and has a lacquer finish on one side...comes off with abrasive cloth/paper.  Wondful stuff for inlays, patchboxes, you name it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 01:43:55 AM »
That was Bill Brockway's source of sheet brass.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 01:44:25 AM »
i salvaged several old kick plates years ago. they are a blessing to have in stock for making all kinds of things. check with a magnet when in doubt for plating.
kw

n stephenson

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:59:07 AM »
I have picked up a few of them over the years , as stated , they work good for a lot of things. I do like to find the older ones. Nate

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:32:44 AM »
Don’t stop there, push plates are usually heavier than kick plates, and old schools, and public buildings had plenty of them. Old government buildings, and some others I suspect had brass thresholds that make great tradegun buttplates, as well as musket buttplates, and heavy sideplates.
 As you can probably tell I love forming parts from recycled stuff.

Hungry Horse

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 03:36:07 AM »
I used to have a few, when I worked for a glass shop. We replaced a lot of old doors with aluminum/glass and I salvaged all the kick plates and push-pads. I took some to a local sheet metal shop and had them sheared to 1 1/4", 2" & 4" . Once annealed they work great. Careful some are plated steel and some are bronze.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 03:40:16 AM »
I have a buddy who practiced his engraving on a snow shovel . He had the fanciest snow shovel in town.
JIM

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 04:01:21 AM »
A friend of mine practiced his engraving on his vintage aluminum hard hat. By the time he got the hard hat covered he was good enough to tackle the brass action of his Mowrey Allen& Thurber replica. It turned out so good that he sold it at a Rendezvous and bought a custom flint longrifle.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »
Kevin, are you saying that I would need to anneal a solid brass kick plate prior to engraving it? If so, can you tell me how?

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:06 PM »
Jeff,
Not sure if you would need to or want to anneal for engraving (an accomplished engraver can answer here) I anneal if I am forming thimbles, patchboxes, inlays. I heat with propane till dull red and quench in water, if it's brass sheet it should be dead soft and form nicely. Keep in mind that hammering to shape or repeated bending it will eventually "work harden" the brass.
Cast brass (push plates) are another story.
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:32:54 PM by burnt »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson