Author Topic: German straight rifled smooth rifle  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: German straight rifled smooth rifle
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 08:57:40 PM »
Thank you Arno, very interesting.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 03:01:17 AM »
I got here late and agree it is an interesting gun. My question would be ; how can it be a "smooth rifle" if it has "rifling, straight or spiral"?
Mark
Mark

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 03:30:51 AM »
I got here late and agree it is an interesting gun. My question would be ; how can it be a "smooth rifle" if it has "rifling, straight or spiral"?
Mark

I dunno.  It has no rear sight.  Never did. That is what I’m hanging my hat on.  Plus it’s my rifle lol.

I’ve never seen a rifle with no rear sight.  How about calling it a point and shoot rifle?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 05:57:46 AM »
Some shotguns were made in England with straight grooves as well.  The idea was that with the correct sized shot, they would create a better pattern.

They did shoot well , but were heavier than a normally bored sporting gun, so were not in fashion for very long.

According to Geo. Shumway, they were quite popular (straight rifled barrels) for boar hunting in Germanic lands.   
Whether this one is for shot, or for  ball for boar I have no clue.  Would have thought a rear sight for  boar.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
Interesting gun.  Upon looking at the photos, my first thought was:  I like the furniture, especially the trigger guard, and this was probably a full-stock flintlock originally.  After reading through the comments, I see I am not alone... :D
Jerry

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
Rich,
Being yours does make it whatever you want it to be,LOL.
I did get a "smooth rifle" recently that does have an original rear sight in .58.
Mark
Mark