Author Topic: Some progress  (Read 1464 times)

Maineshops

Some progress
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:31:28 AM »
Managed to drill into the barrel channel and got that repaired. Used a long brad point drill from HF and it wandered. Switched to a twist drill and finished the RR holes. Got a few under lugs parted off and started to remove excess wood from the sides of the stocks. I think I’ll do the but plates next to get up to speed on some hand work. Didn’t realize how much i had forgotten.

ddoyle

Re: Some progress
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:30:08 AM »
I like your lamp bases.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
What in the world is that contraption?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Maineshops

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
Ya that set of 123 blocks were getting a little dog eared so I put them to better use.
The contraption is just a simple router sled. I use it mainly to flatten warped boards. Clamp a board in there and knock off the high spots with the router and you have one flat side to run through the planer. I have a small sawmill so I use it fairly often. Crotch cherry gets squirrley for instance. I use small pieces of that for my shaker boxes. I figured it would help get rid of the excess wood on the stocks. Works good and saves my arthritic hands. Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »
Oh, I see. I use a  bandsaw for those sorts of things.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?